.38spl.+P...357mag. same grain..Why?

.38spl.+P...357mag. same grain..Why?

This is a discussion on .38spl.+P...357mag. same grain..Why? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This isn't to start any debate about which is better, enough is enough of that. I would simply like to ask this question.. being that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: .38spl.+P...357mag. same grain..Why?

  1. #1
    Member Array Bart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    480

    .38spl.+P...357mag. same grain..Why?

    This isn't to start any debate about which is better, enough is enough of that. I would simply like to ask this question.. being that the recoil is so much more dramatic with the .357 compared to the .38spl. +P, one would think that there would be a dramatic difference in the ballistics, but there really isn't. (4" barrel & both 125gr. jhp) Considering the velocities, expansion and penetration being so close in comparison, what exactly is it that makes the .357 the better of the two, scoring higher in the One Shot Stop percentage chart? Thanks.


  2. #2
    Senior Member Array Lewis128's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cape Girardeau, Mo.
    Posts
    657
    Without spending alot of time trying to copy paste the charts, the energy of the .357 is significantly higher than the .38 +p.

    Here's the links that I found: .357 Mag .38 sp
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,019
    My own personal chrono of both .38Spl +P and .357 Mag loads in snubs indicates the .357 gets as much as 300 fps more with essentially the same weight bullet.
    I consider that significant, and evidently so do the dead BG.

    Regards,
    Jerry

  4. #4
    Member Array Bart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    My own personal chrono of both .38Spl +P and .357 Mag loads in snubs indicates the .357 gets as much as 300 fps more with essentially the same weight bullet.
    I consider that significant, and evidently so do the dead BG.

    Regards,
    Jerry
    So because the bullet travels faster and hits harder, regardless of the slight differences in expansion & penetration, the .357 is the winner?

  5. #5
    Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,513
    It's all about the energy dump. A 38spl +p has 158 grains, moves 1000 fps, and has 351 ft lbs of energy. A 357 mag has 158 grains, moves 1349 fps (349fps faster), and has 639 ft lbs of energy (288 ft lbs more, which is an 82% increase).

    edit...these stats are using a 6" barrel revolver.
    -Ryan

    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    So because the bullet travels faster and hits harder, regardless of the slight differences in expansion & penetration, the .357 is the winner?
    Yes. There is not necessarily only a slight difference in expansion and penetration. Most .38 Spl bullets expand very little, and the additional velocity of the .357 does cause expansion.

    Whether one thinks the additional recoil of the .357 is worth it or not is an individual choice. I usually carry, when I carry a revolver, a Smith 642 instead of my 640 .357 because of the additional weight. But if I really thought I would have to shoot I would carry the .357 as I believe that long experience by LE has demonstrated it is much superior in effectiveness.

    A few years ago, and it may been Marshall's questionable data, the .357 had the highest one shot stops of any cartridge. That is the reason for the .357 Sig.
    But I'll take all I can get.
    Jerry

  7. #7
    Member Array Bart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Yes. There is not necessarily only a slight difference in expansion and penetration. Most .38 Spl bullets expand very little, and the additional velocity of the .357 does cause expansion.

    Whether one thinks the additional recoil of the .357 is worth it or not is an individual choice. I usually carry, when I carry a revolver, a Smith 642 instead of my 640 .357 because of the additional weight. But if I really thought I would have to shoot I would carry the .357 as I believe that long experience by LE has demonstrated it is much superior in effectiveness.

    A few years ago, and it may been Marshall's questionable data, the .357 had the highest one shot stops of any cartridge. That is the reason for the .357 Sig.
    But I'll take all I can get.
    Jerry
    With these kind of statistics, how can it be said that the .357 is so much better a round?


    .38spl. +P 125gr.
    Diameter-0.68"-Penetration-12.4"-76% Stopping Power

    .357 125gr.
    Diameter-0.58"-Penetration-12.3"-96% Stopping Power

  8. #8
    Member Array Tros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    489
    Bart, the more I've learned about ballistics, the more I've learned that ballistic gelatin is simply a medium to compare ammunition. I think a much better indicator for performance would be any sort of barrier either in front of, or within the ballistic gelatin.

    If the .38 penetrates, and expands the same as the .357 after exiting through the barrier, then I don't see why the .357 would out-perform the .38. My gut feeling is that the .38 would not be able to perform the same feat as the .357.

    The conversation sort of twists itself into the fact that there are two ways for a bullet to do it's business. Slow and heavy, or fast and light... Then you get into the heavy and fast calibers, but those tend to be only good for recoil junkies.

    To further back up my point as far as barrier penetration (which includes bones in my book!) the ol' .38 158g loads were a success; the .45 230g have always been a success; then the popular .357 in 125g, of course.... The prominent "man-stoppers" have always been the penetrators; and I don't mean through ballistics, I mean through barriers.

    The fact is, all major calibers are great defensive choices. The great improvement over the years has been bullet design. Ammunition manufacturers now can design a bullet to mushroom, but still not fragment, and also penetrate to whatever depth they are aiming for.

    At the end of the day, it all goes back to having a reliable firearm that you can shoot accurately. Tactics overcome weapon choice 9/10.
    Beretta 92FS

  9. #9
    Member Array Bart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    480
    Tros,
    What you say makes good sense. You brought up another point too, one that I get a lot of flack about. You mentioned the ol' .38 158gr. being a success, good for barrier penetration. And like you said, which includes bone in your book. Well, it includes bone in my book too. I haven't found anyone to agree with me, and maybe you won't either, but because your the only one to mention the .38 158gr. in any positive light, I would appreciate your input . Here goes..I believe that the .38spl. FMJ 158gr. is a good round for self defense. Especially for it's ability to penetrate at or around 17 inches, enough to tear through muscle and bone to reach vital organs. And I don't believe it will over penetrate and exit the body, a .357 158gr. FMJ maybe, but not a .38spl. This .38spl. penetrates the same 17 inches from both a 2" or 4" barrel. Shooting this round from a .357 revolver, the recoil would be so slight that accuracy and follow up shots increase tremendously. Am I as crazy as they say, or not? I'm ready

  10. #10
    Member Array Jim Macklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    236
    The bore diameter and effective ballistic coefficients set the usable minimum and maximum bullets weights.
    In most cases a 9 mm/.357 bore works well with bullets from 125-160 grains, about 200 grains is the heaviest bullet used in a .38 by the British during WWI IIRC.
    Energy goes up with the square of the velocity, increase velocity 10% and energy goes up 21%, and velocities that are supersonic make bigger shockwaves. In air you hear the shockwave and in water/flesh the water acts as a solid and contributes to the wound cavity.

    In lower pressure guns, like a .38 Special, chamber pressure limits don't allow high velocity without reduced bullet weight. A .357 can have twice the pressure safely and so can use a heavier bullet.

    Heavier bullets retain more energy at longer ranges and can do more tissue-bone damage.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    With these kind of statistics, how can it be said that the .357 is so much better a round?


    .38spl. +P 125gr.
    Diameter-0.68"-Penetration-12.4"-76% Stopping Power

    .357 125gr.
    Diameter-0.58"-Penetration-12.3"-96% Stopping Power
    Because I consider a 20% increase in stopping power significant. If you don't the choose what suit you.

    Regards,
    Jerry

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array 10thmtn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,126
    If you're carrying a light weight snubbie, the .38 +P makes a lot of sense. Less flash, recoil, and noise than a full-house .357 Mag. You don't get much additional benefit out of the short barrel by going up to the .357. If anything, the increased muzzle flip with the .357 means slower follow-up shots (I do not plan on a one-shot stop with anything short of a buckshot-firing 12 gauge shotgun, and even then I am prepared for a follow-up shot...).

    However, some will claim the psychological impact of the noise/flash of the .357 was one of it's assets - sort of a mini flash-bang grenade. Of course, it impacts you as the shooter as well as the target!

    If you're carrying a full-size duty revolver, then .357 is a good choice.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

  13. #13
    Member Array Tros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    I believe that the .38spl. FMJ 158gr. is a good round for self defense. Especially for it's ability to penetrate at or around 17 inches, enough to tear through muscle and bone to reach vital organs. And I don't believe it will over penetrate and exit the body, a .357 158gr. FMJ maybe, but not a .38spl. This .38spl. penetrates the same 17 inches from both a 2" or 4" barrel. Shooting this round from a .357 revolver, the recoil would be so slight that accuracy and follow up shots increase tremendously. Am I as crazy as they say, or not? I'm ready
    I think the ol' "FBI load" 158-gr. +P is a tried and true round that nobody should overlook. It's a very consistent performer. I am a huge fan of of the 357's, but I honestly think I would use the 158-gr. +P over any 357 simply because of the follow-up shots coming along quicker.
    Beretta 92FS

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array Stevew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,449
    Bart, what does the bullet manufacturer of your particular 38spl, 158g FMJ state that the intended purpose of the round is? Energy determines a bullets ability to do work. The 357 mag can deliver as much as 3 times the energy as 38 spl. If your mind is made up that a 38 spl FMJ bullet is the ultimate SD round, no matter what bullet manufacture's and ballistic research data show, by all means use it.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

  15. #15
    cj
    cj is offline
    Senior Member Array cj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,008
    It really depends on the data sets you're looking at. A light .357 might recoil more than a .38 special without a huge increase in performance, so it really comes down to how they're loaded.

    One approach might be to compare from the same manufacturer. Ballistics by the Inch has 125 grain Cor Bon JHP in both .38 special and .357...so if we accept that Cor Bon has loaded them to optimize for each caliber and compare the results, it ranges from a whopping 78% increase in velocity for an 18" barrel (for levergun lovers out there), about 69% increase for a 6" barrel, and 47% increase in a 3" barrel (which I looked at recently for my new SP101).

    As for saying which is a 'better round', there are too many variables, similar to which is the 'better gun'. It depends on how an individual can use it...in one class I had, a gentleman had severe wrist and hand problems and could only comfortably shoot a .22. For him, the .22 was a better round than a .357 magnum since he could hit what he was aiming at and perform followup shots, while the .357 would have probably missed the target and taken his hand or firearm out of commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Ruger LCR in 357mag!!
    By vikz in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: November 10th, 2010, 09:44 PM
  2. Buffalo Bore +P 95 Grain JHP or +P 100 Grain Flat Nose in Sig P232
    By dbramhall in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: October 11th, 2010, 06:07 PM
  3. 147-grain 9mm +P vs. 125-grain .357 Magnum
    By SpringerXD in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: June 21st, 2010, 03:17 PM
  4. 9mm x2 vs .357mag x1
    By Dolphin in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: May 16th, 2008, 02:49 AM

Search tags for this page

38 spl ammo that penetrates barriers from snub guns
,
38spl p vs 357mag
,
paintball velocity experiment conclusion
,
remington .38 p 158 gr.lhp expansion penetration
,
remington 125 grain sjhp p expansion 38 special
,
ruger lcr 357 percent of one shot stops
,
ruger lcr mushroom p penetration
,

stopping power 38 spl

,
tros 357mag
,
which 140 gr .357 ammo does 950 to 1000 out of a snub
Click on a term to search for related topics.