.357 animal deterrent

.357 animal deterrent

This is a discussion on .357 animal deterrent within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hike a lot in black bear, moose, and cougar country and I need a .357 Mag round that will do the trick. I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

.357 animal deterrent

I hike a lot in black bear, moose, and cougar country and I need a .357 Mag round that will do the trick. I have some 125gr golden sabres and some 140gr hornady leverevolution (pointed red tips) at the moment but what else should I be looking at for walking in the woods rounds? Maybe a hunting load would be better? I need something that's got a better chance of going through a bear or moose's skull. any suggestions? what do you carry in the woods?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I'd use a good, hard 158gr cast bullet in the Keith SWC style over a very healthy charge of WW296.

You want penetration, and that's something the SD bullets will be lacking in big animals.

Personally, I'd prefer .44 Magnum, but if a .357 was all I had ...
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Well .357 is what I have for now so.... Right, I want penetration that's why I was thinking the Hornady leverevolutions but don't really have any experience with them, what can I use to get good penetration?

anyone try these?

http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/-str...MAG/Detail.bok
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

OD*
    Take a look at Tim's 180 grainers.

Heavy 357 Magnum Ammunition
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post

180 grain gets my vote.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post

With the .357 Magnum, this is the way to go.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I can actually comment on this one now, I actually worry about boars. So I have some 158gr wadcutters. I still worry about over penetrations against Boars so the heavy grain FMJs sound best IMO for what you are worried about.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

You don't mention what make/model firearm you're carrying but I'd suggest some caution using the monster 357 loads in a light frame (j,k,l) handgun.

I've had excellent luck with the 44 mag. version of the Remington Jacketed Soft Point round. I buy the bulk bullets and reload, but if you don't reload, the factory ammo uses the same bullet.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

It's a Ruger sp101, I'm thinking about going with the 180gr flat nose grizzly. You think those will be fine out of that gun? it's either the grizzly or buffalo bore.

357 MAG

The .357 Gold Saber is actually a medium-velocity load. I'd stick with the 140's of your two current loads. Not knowing what kind of gun you're using, I'd suggest a 158gr JSP of some kind unless your gun is big enough to handle the 180gr thumpers.

the sp101 should definitely be able to handle a 180gr buffalo bore. I just ordered 2 boxes from cabelas they were on sale. I'll shoot a box to see how they feel and how they are accuracy wise and I'll save a box for the cylinder and 2 speed loaders when I hike.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    the sp101 should definitely be able to handle a 180gr buffalo bore.
    Oh yeah, so will the others Tim mentions on his web sight.

We had a chance to try some of his heavy .45 Colt loads a number of years ago, before they were on the market, Tim makes some great ammo.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

158 gr Keith style Semi-Wadcutters if you reload, 158 gr JSP (not hollow point) if you don't.

Of course the Buffalo Bores are also quite sufficient.

Bill
    Bill Orr
    SMSgt, USAF (Ret)

NRA Life Member
    Utah and Idaho CCW holder

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    You don't mention what make/model firearm you're carrying but I'd suggest some caution using the monster 357 loads in a light frame (j,k,l) handgun.

I've had excellent luck with the 44 mag. version of the Remington Jacketed Soft Point round. I buy the bulk bullets and reload, but if you don't reload, the factory ammo uses the same bullet.

Hoss
    Hoss, I knew that a J frame was not the ideal platform for heavy 357 loads. I did not realize there were concerns over K and L frame. Is this just the 180 and heavier bullets or does it work it's way down into 158g territory. I don't load many rounds with heavy bullets at higher pressure limits, but I do load a few for hunting and carry during hunting season. I even loaded, tried and carry in J frame during hunting season. This is not a round that I shoot a lot. I am staying within published load data. Am I ok? What about with the GP?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Let me tell you about a guy in AK who was jumped by a griz. He emptied his .357 into the bear's mouth as it gnawed on his head. The bear shook its head and walked away, never to be found--dead, wounded, or otherwise.

For defense against big, dangerous animals you have to break bones. Save one hollowpoint for the last round, the one you put into your mouth as that bear is gnawing on your head. (Don't forget to file down the front sight; it will chip your teeth!)

But if you insist on any pistol as defense against big, pissed-off animals, get the heaviest, hardest bullet your cartridge can handle. I packed Speer shilouette bullets in my .41 Mag when I carried in AK.

Yeah, big game can be taken with a handgun, but they don't usually stop 5-600 pounds of fury that bursts out of the bushes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links