Mag Safe

This is a discussion on Mag Safe within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone use this ammo? I picked up some from my local gun shop and the owner raved about it. He also told me a story ...

Thread: Mag Safe

Mag Safe

Anyone use this ammo? I picked up some from my local gun shop and the owner raved about it. He also told me a story about testing it out on a deer and it had great results.

2. Remove Ads

After reading a review on MagSafe I passed on it. It seems to fragment on impact and have NO penetration.. As to a deer I would still like to have a heavy bullet that has a good degree of penetration.. This stuff looks trendy to me..
    MagSafe Inadequate, FirearmsTactical, August 1999

OMO

bosco

VIP Member
    I carry Mag Safe for both the .40 and .380. I know there are plenty of experts here who would not advise that, but it is what makes sense to me and seems to work well especially in my compact .40. I like the idea of high velocity frangible ammo.

Downside, stuff is way tooo toooo toooooooo expensive to practice with. Other downside, it seems to be unproven in the real world because so few folks actually carry it.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I used to carry it, but recently went away from it. The ballistics on the frangible exotics just aren't solid enough for me. (pun intended) tests have shown again and again that wound ballistics require penetration, and I became too worried that the MagSafe rounds don't have enough penetration to be effective as a defense round.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I kept magsafe in my 357 model 66 that was kept loaded in my home. One night I had a guy trying to get through my front door. (He was at the wrong house, I don't know for sure if he was drunk but he was cursing up a storm and I was thinking home invasion) Long story made short, I was standing inside about 15 feet from the door in a shooting position waiting for him to bust through before he left. I can't tell you all the things racing through my mind in the 5 minutes it lasted but I was having doubts if the ammo would perform because he was a big guy.

I thank God everytime I think about that night that I didn't have to test the Magsafe ammo. After that I made the decision to always use hollow points that I know will penetrate. Cops did catch up with him and he thought he was at his buddys house who lives 2 doors down and he thought I was his buddy messing with him. They said he was humbled when he found out how close he was to getting shot.

The moral of this story is carry what you are comfortable with and what you have confidence in.

VIP Member
    Nothing against this type of ammo, I don't have any experience with it, but it s not something I wish to experiment with.
    Hollow point ammo, given different and varying circumstances, in which it must perform, (winter coats), poor angle, not a solid vital hit, and IT sometimes disturbs me as to the performance that which will be achieved with the use of them.

*"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
    illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
    media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to
    pick up a turd by the clean end**.**" Author Unknown
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Thanks for the info guys!

Links