What is the point of hollowpoints (no pun intended)

This is a discussion on What is the point of hollowpoints (no pun intended) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; for a 22LR? I have a mark II and I would never use it as my weapon of choice for home defense or personal defense. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the point of hollowpoints (no pun intended)

What is the point of hollowpoints (no pun intended)

for a 22LR? I have a mark II and I would never use it as my weapon of choice for home defense or personal defense. I am extremely accurate with it and IMO I would be surprised if I couldn't stop a BG with a few rounds.

Recently I saw 22LR hollowpoints. I was always under the assumption that hollowpoints are mainly for self defense? What is the intended purpose of 22lr hollowpoints?

2. Remove Ads

Good question.

My first thought is maybe for hunting? I can't recall ever seeing any soft point .22 ammo, but I also don't own any .22's so it's not like I look for the ammo when I'm shopping.

But then I'm reminded that there are people out there who use a .22 as a SD weapon or as a backup gun. I'd guess it's aimed more at those people.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

22's are the most dangerous firearms out there. More Cops are killed with them than anything else. Several well placed shots with a 22 can be more effective than a couple erratic ones from a 45.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Rodents and birds.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Good question.

My first thought is maybe for hunting? I can't recall ever seeing any soft point .22 ammo, but I also don't own any .22's so it's not like I look for the ammo when I'm shopping.

But then I'm reminded that there are people out there who use a .22 as a SD weapon or as a backup gun. I'd guess it's aimed more at those people.
    They're out there - primarily used for target work. Eley Tenex is a world class cartridge, significantly slower than what's available locally and is EXPENSIVE. I used that ammo for Int'l Match back in the day.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

If a 22 is what you have for defense then it's what you have. There are far superior calibers available. I would load it with CCI Stingers or Remington Vipers. Truth is Hollow Points are probably NOT going to expand from a 22 pistol Bbl.

22lr HPs were intended for small game hunting. Upon impact, increasing the diameter of the projectile. and turning a pin-punch into a ball peen hammer and more force per square inch. In the personal defensive scenario, the 22lr could be effective, but more effective in the hollow points than lead round nose, or even plated bullets. Less chance for skipping around skull bone and such. 22lr for SD? In a rather small percentage of situations I would imagine. Some will say it's better than nothing, but sometimes it may be like poking a grizzly bear with a stick. I like better odds, and if all I had between me and a grizzly bear was a stick, then I would run. Not that the 22lr wouldn't be effective, it just depends on what your thoughts are as to the definition of 'effective'. It should make most turn and run to stop being stung. The human head is a very small target, and mostly bone. I once made the mistake of shooting at a feral cat with my pellet rifle (spring action cocking..1000fps) and using pointed pellets. A direct head shot was effective enough to make it run very far away. Away from my property and my animals. Two weeks or so went by and I saw it again one day in the nearest town checking out a local car wash dumpster when I realized I should have used a flat point pellet instead. I'm just sayin'.

Senior Moderator
    Hollow-points in .22's are much better game killers than lead round nose.

When squirrel hunting, you want them to drop out of the tree immediately.

When using solid lead, if you hit them anywhere other than the head, they will run off...often into a hole in the tree and you'll never see them again.

I use only hollow-points for hunting.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

22 lr?

I have not touched a 22 lr since 1972. Certain guys in SE Asia carried 22 lr hollow points in Ruger or Hi-Standard semi auto pistols with surpressors. They were used against village dogs or sentries.

I would rather use a .38 wadcutter for SD or close contact work.

In the old days, hitters used 22 lr in pistols, so they must be somewhat useful for SD.

DaiUy

Simply a better vermin killer.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I grew up shooting 22s for many, many years (rifles and handguns). I was (perhaps still am deep down) somewhat of a 22 nut. I used round nosed brass for competition target shooting as they were more accurate than hollow-points in 22 when really tight groups are involved. The cavity of the hollowpoint actually trapped some air and caused a small degree of wobble and slight inconsistencies. I used hollowpoints for squirrel, rats, and rabbits (yes, I rabbit hunted with a Remington Filedmaster pump 22...the one gun I regret selling the most...I still have my old competition 22 pistol).

Historically speaking, more civilians have probably been killed with 22s than any other single round...but those were likely intentional and not defensive shots. Not my choice for a defensive round, although I feel I could make do with my 22s if I had to. They're still fun and cheap to shoot!!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

CCI Stingers are good hollowpoint rounds for squirrels and rats. They also make 22lr shot shells (like a mini bird shot round in 22 lr). I've carried them in my H&R 922 snub revolver for snakes, but they're not very effective. Nice concept though. 22 magnums are a different story alltogether. I have a magnum cylinder for one of my 22 revolvers and 2 Henry 22 magnums rifles (lever action and pump action). Fun as heck to shoot and ggood for small and medium game in hollowpoint rounds. 22 magnum is not a good round for target shooting (even in roundpoint). It is a small projectile pushed by a lot of powder. I've found the projectile actually rises over certain distances due to the velocity relative to the size/weight/shape of the projectile. Still, the lever action Henry rifle is more fun to shoot than one person should be able to have. I use golf balls for targets.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

CCI Stingers or Rem Yellow jackets is all that I use for all small game hunting, especiasly, on Bunnies with a good head shot, saves a lot of meat, to eat.

22 hollowpoints are great for hunting as Ram Rod explained. AS far as self defense, maybe if there was absolutely NOTHING else then yes, other than that It may be like a tick bite to a tree rat IMO.(depending on the circumstances of course)

~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

I was thinking probably for hunting.

Like I said earlier I wouldn't choose a 22lr as a defense weapon but if that was the only thing I have, I wouldn't run and I would be very confident in using it to defend my family.

For those who think that it is like poking a bear with a stick, do you know of any tests that show how ineffective a 22lr is?

I know you can't compare this but many many years ago I had a bb gun.
    http://www.crosman.com/airguns/pistols/1377C
    It states max velocity as 600 fps. I shot a rabid squirrel (long story) from 20 feet away in the head. It did a few flips and died. At closer inspection I saw the bb went into its head with no problem.

Now a standard 22 lr has a velocity around 1080 fps. Also I would assume 22lr is heavier than a BB.

I am no expert but do not think a 22lr would bounce off a person's chest or skull.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links