I like my gun, I wanna keep it

This is a discussion on I like my gun, I wanna keep it within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a S&W 3913 9mm. For those that aren't familiar its an aluminum frame, stainless slide semi auto. I recently lost my job right ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I like my gun, I wanna keep it

I have a S&W 3913 9mm. For those that aren't familiar its an aluminum frame, stainless slide semi auto.

I recently lost my job right when I decided to start carrying so I dont have alot of money to play with. I was carrying FMJ 115 grain junkers that I had, as they say, better than a knife. I was at the local shop and the owner noticed my ammunition selection and grunted, understandably. He said here take these, and if they save your life you owe me ten bucks. It was an open package of what appears to be winchester JHP +P+. Im not saying they are shabby or corroded they are great, he just didnt have the full package or the box. My question: Is the +P+ too much for my pistol? Like I said, Im broke. Not like some dudes on here where if my Ed Brown breaks I have to carry my wilson combat instead ya know? I haven't even shot one yet. Like I said, I like my gun, and I wanna keep it.

P.S. Sorry if this is a stupid noob question but better safe than sorry I say in this case.
    S&W 3913 9MM
    Remington 870 Express Magnum
    Remington 721 30-06, Choate Varmint Stock, Harris Bipod, 6-24x50 Tasco Scope(Cheapo)
    Savage .17 HMR

Zuk, I just looked at the Winchester products website and I don't see any '+p+' 9x19 ammo listed. Nor, in this current era of wild lawsuits for just about anything, is any major manufacturer going to product ammo for general sale that will cause a catastrophic failure in any 'current' production sidearm. Your 3913 for instance.

Yeah, it is full bore stuff and the gun will wear out and possibly crack the small (perhaps large) parts that eventually crack. Eventually. As a defense gun, I would not sweat that as an immediate problem.

Say think you to the nice man. When you get re-employed, buy something from him.

What part of Oregon is home? I grew up in and still have ties to Portland.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

+P+ in your S&W for carry should be for carry. If you were going to use the +P+ for range practice, I would say keep it limited. Most modern pistols will take the +P+, and the S&W 3913 is probably on the list. I wouldn't recommend a steady diet of the +P+ in anything really....even a Glock. They are made for the times when you'll need the + the most, and therefore you shouldn't be worried about destroying your pistol in my opinion. 9mm FMJ 115gr being better than a knife? Of course! Personally I think the FMJ vs HP comes awful close to the caliber wars and being silly. Of course I carry HPs, but I don't need to be nor want to be on the cutting edge of what everyone else is talking about, or what's new on the market that could be so special, and I don't get much into the current hype about anything anymore. I know you'll get some replies about shot placement no matter what ammo you use, so I won't be the first. Secondly, feel confident in your choice of sidearm no matter what.......it's what you have, so you'll have to depend on it. Most of that centers around your belief in your own abilities and your practice and training. I'm all for keeping up on practice and training on a limited budget, and right here on the forum is a good way to do it. I know all too well how things can appear like some folks have unlimited access to guns, spend ridiculous amounts on ammo, or accessories, etc. I'm one of those who doesn't give into the hype, and what I depend on is rather basic compared to some, and I don't buy one gun a month. I made my stake in what I have long ago, and I work with it. Changes in cost or availability don't affect me like some. This forum was not designed around who's got the best, or what is the best, or what you should or should not do in your quest to carry. Sometimes it does seem like separating the status quo into categories of middle class or upper class, but in my opinion, nobody should feel that way, nor should anyone be embarrassed for asking questions pertaining to their firearm or ammo of choice to go along with carry. It's ridiculous to me that lines should ever be drawn or thought of just scanning the front pages of this forum. We're all equal here, and have a common goal. That's simple, and everything else should be overlooked. You have what you have, you're working with what you have, and nobody has the right to say they think it's wrong. Whatever concept you have about this forum thus far tells me that there might be a rift, or a portrayed interest above and beyond those new to carry, and somehow separating those not meeting some sort of criteria for membership here. It wasn't designed to be that way, and if this is happening and weighing on peoples minds in some way, then maybe we should get back to basics and sorting out the misconceptions that some may have from either side. All in all, I say shoot a couple of rounds of that ammo through your pistol just so you'll know what to expect. Then after good function, and your pistol in good working order, go ahead and carry that ammo with it. Otherwise, I'd say you're no fool for continuing to carry the 115gr FMJs. After all, that's what you're used to, and nobody can tell you you're wrong in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Zuk, I just looked at the Winchester products website and I don't see any '+p+' 9x19 ammo listed. Nor, in this current era of wild lawsuits for just about anything, is any major manufacturer going to product ammo for general sale that will cause a catastrophic failure in any 'current' production sidearm. Your 3913 for instance.

Yeah, it is full bore stuff and the gun will wear out and possibly crack the small (perhaps large) parts that eventually crack. Eventually. As a defense gun, I would not sweat that as an immediate problem.

Say think you to the nice man. When you get re-employed, buy something from him.

What part of Oregon is home? I grew up in and still have ties to Portland.
    On the casing it says

WCC +P+
    0 2

I live in Hood River Oregon.
    I was definetely appreciative of his generosity, Im glad I now have something a little more substantial to defend myself, especially after yesterdays dog walking session where I ran into some VERY fresh lion tracks. Judging by the span he/she was 5' from hip to shoulder. Pretty big.

Like I said I am just checking. I see pictures of revolvers with the tops blown off and I worry.

As far as the gun shop. Its Dons Guns in Hood River. Love em. They are fairly new but they treat you right. Prices aren't outrageous like small town gun shops usually are. And they won me over: I took in my 30-06 that had been broken for 4 years. Been to 3 other jackasses trying to fix it and I take it to them for 3 days and she's tip top. Top notch in my opinion.
    S&W 3913 9MM
    Remington 721 30-06, Choate Varmint Stock, Harris Bipod, 6-24x50 Tasco Scope(Cheapo)
    Savage .17 HMR

There is an industry standard for the pounds per square inch pressure generated by standard pressure 9mm rounds ( 35000) and for +p ( about 10% greater), but no indusry standard for +P+ rounds. It is whatever the manufacturer is willing to sell. With no standard, no gun manufacturer is going to be willing to say +P+'s are fine in their guns for fear some reloader somewhere will ignore all common sense and load a 9mm nuke. However, given our society's love of law suits, the large commercial ammunition manufacturers like Winchester tend to be rather conservative in what they load for the public as opposed to what they are willing to load for the military ( who agree not to sue as part of the contract).

In my opinion, the gun, assuming it is in good shape, will not explode simply because you use +P+. There will be some greater wear over the long run, but given your situation, you are not going to be putting a lot of +P+ rounds through the gun. I would suggest you shoot a few rounds to familarize yourself with the recoil, flash, and POA vs POI and then carry the rest.

Hope this is of help- conwic

That head stamp means it is a 'Q' load. That means the agency that ordered the ammo dictated the specifications and signed a waiver accepting liability. That being said, I've scrounged up and shot a good number of Q load ammo in various guns of my own without serious incident.

Like conwic said, it won't explode.

Mountain lion? Dang. I think I'd prefer the 870 on those walks. But that 3913 is going to be better than a hug and a PETA membership card.

Hood River is nice territory. (I'm currently in exile in the Los Angeles area.) I-80 east from Portland along the Columbia River Gorge is one of my favorite drives in the known Universe. Do me a favor. Vote out the Democrats so when I retire I can come home.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Im headed out today to run a few of these missiles through my gun and if they pass muster I am gonna carry em. Thanks for all of your advice and reassurance.

I am really excited about the lion tracks. About a mile away from my house on public land. I will def. be getting my lion tag this year. I was carrying my big bad .17 HMR with me so I wasn't scared I was packing my S&W as well though. It always seems like when I go out into the woods I end up with the wrong damn gun every time. Ill be carrying my .17 and see lion tracks, or carrying my 30-06 and see squirrels (doesn't stop me) Oh well.
    S&W 3913 9MM
    Savage .17 HMR

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zukidude13 View Post
    I have a S&W 3913 9mm. For those that aren't familiar its an aluminum frame, stainless slide semi auto...

...I was at the local shop and the owner noticed my ammunition selection and grunted, understandably. He said here take these, and if they save your life you owe me ten bucks. It was an open package of what appears to be winchester JHP +P+...
    That is the mark of good man and he deserves your business. Carry those, buy something else at Wally's for range time.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

The S&W 3913 was quite the respected pistol in the 1990s. Masaad Ayoob wrote that he often carried one, as did several of his pistolero friends. If I am not mistaken, Mas' preferred round that he carried in his 3913 at the time was the Cor-Bon 115 gr. +P (and you can be sure that he ran a lot of it through his carry gun, so I don't doubt that you'd be okay carrying the +P+ in your gun).
    Last edited by Showman; January 2nd, 2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: forgot parentheses at end of sentence

RamRod , well said my friend and thanks ,I may stop lurking.:

I had a 3913 in the 1990's (another gun I should have kept). I put about 1000 rounds of Federal 9BPLE 115 grain (+P+) through it over the time I had it without any ill effects. I am sure they would have eventually worn out the gun faster than standard pressure ammunition, but who knows how many it would have taken.

At the time my duty gun was a Beretta 92 with Winchester Ranger 115 grain (+P+) issued as carry ammunition. It never caused any problems with the Beretta.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

My answer to your question about +p+ in your 9mm would be this, and it also applies to me with my .45. If that gun saves my life, and is destroyed in the process by too hot ammo I have won. I can buy another gun, but not another life. Vaya Con Dios

My first handgun purchase was a 3913 TSW. It remains a favorite to this day. I bought it and have shot everything I could imaging through it I have no idea how many thousands of rounds of whatever I had or could find including several boxes of LEO +P+. I wasnt trying to test the gun I just didnt realize you could break one. I will say a 3913 is tough as nails and if and thats a big if something happens call Smith they will take care of it. I dont think less than a box of any ammunition (within reason) will damage your gun.

Check the projectile. If it's the SXT with the 6 serrations, it's probably the 127gr +P+ Ranger Talon. A load with an excellent reputation on the street and good carry ammo. Probably not good shoot-a-lot-for-fun ammo, but good carry ammo.

Administrator
    Your S&W 3913 is a solid robust firearm. You can run as much +P or +P+ though it as you want to. Just make sure that your recoil spring is fresh.

Since your present situation seems like you're not going to be purchasing tons of +P+ right now then you should not have any problems at all keeping that as your carry ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links