Defensive Carry banner

Ammo vs Ammo: Win. 147gr -Hornady Critical Defense

9K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  Fisher10 
#1 · (Edited)
I own a Glock 34 for personal and home protection. I have two boxes of ammo in front of me. One is Winchesters 9mm hollow point, 147 gr, labeled for personal protection. The other is Hornady's Critical Defense 9mm hollow point, 115 gr with an added Teflon (?) plug in the center of that hollow point. Ostensibly, this is to allow the round to penetrate clothing cleanly before expanding.

Any clues as to which of these two would provide better protection?

#2 ·
I hope you have complained to the Law about this.

Teach your wife to shoot and get her a lock blade folder pronto.

You can not be there all the time and she will have to learn to defend herself.

#4 ·
I would be carefull posting on a public forum. Don't want to give anyone the wrong idea. Generally heavier bullets have better penatration.

#5 ·
Get some training for you & your wife.

Get a restraining order and certified copies of police reports in hand for post incident.

As to ammo...Winchester 147 Grain personal protection is more available, less costly and you will shoot a lot of it in practice which will translate into accuracy in real life (IF you get training).

#6 ·
MY .02 cents. From some of the replies, I'm missing some of the OP, but as far as bullet preference. I'd say go with the heavier bullet. I use the 147gr Remington Golden Saber in my carry nine because it was tested and showed on average a 2 to 2 1/2" deeper penetration in ballistic gel. My thinking is, if your aim is true for COM, you'll most likely hit some bone and the extra weight and Inertia from the heavier round should help it punch on through.:blahsign:

:022: GBK

#7 ·
In the September 2009 issue of American Rifleman magazine they compared these to ammo choices and both performed equally well in expansion through heavy clothing, wallboard, and plywood into a block of gelatin. The expansion for Critical Defense was 0.548", 0.515", and 0.580". The Winchester load expanded to 0.567", 0.525", and 0.520". The penetration for Critical Defense was 5.77", 5.54", and 6.09". The Winchester's penetration was 7.00", 6.48", and 7.17". These results are listed in the same order as the barriers above are listed. Also the Critical Defense had a higher muzzle velocity (1123fps) and a higher muzzle energy (322 Ft-lbs.). The Winchester's velocity was 956fps. with a muzzle energy of 298Ft-lbs.

#9 ·
Hornandy Critical Defense.

I also like the Federal HST.

#13 ·
The slower 147gr and the 180gr are deeper in the same calibers, and thats just one type of 9mm and .40 caliber. Some others may fair better or worse, but I'm thinking better on average. 1" could make the difference, doubtful but ya just never know.

#15 ·
Both are good rounds. I would go with the Critical Defense myself. I like to testing and the higher energy load. While penetration is definitely important, the energy is just as important in the "stopping" power of a bullet. I want to create as much shock wave in the body fluids as possible.

Armydad

#16 ·
Ammo vs Ammo??

Since PP Ammo (read that as Social Ammo) is in short supply and I have a ton of Cor-Bon DPX in all calibers and do not have access to the Hornady Critical Defense at all, I must go with what I have. I will note that Hornady, Cor-Bon and others now have some new projectiles that are doing very well in testing in Apples to Apples comparasions between them. The market is very rich with excellent performing rounds available for all of us. It is just what you can get your hands on in quanity and what will function in your gun.

#17 ·
Give them both a shot. (Pun intended) ;)

Having fired many different brands and types of ammo through various brands and types of firearms I have discovered that every gun has a specific "brand/type" of ammunition that it seems to "prefer". I use the Hornady Critical Defense rounds in my carry gun, but I would recommend that you try both of them and see which one "feels" and "performs" better in your firearm. Besides, this will provide you with plenty of "range time" to get more familiar with your firearm and more accurate in your shooting in general. And in the end a great bullet won't make up for a poor shooter. A bullets Penetration and Expansion won't make a lick of difference if it doesn't hit the target, or if your afraid to fire it.

#18 ·
I generally prefer heavier bullets but given your two choices, the Critical Defense is what I would choose. The 147gr WWB JHP is not a consistent expander compared to premium self defense ammo. I recommend looking at a mid-heavy Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.