Barnes Varmint Grenade

Barnes Varmint Grenade

This is a discussion on Barnes Varmint Grenade within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; YouTube - Barnes Varmint Grenade Think these will be outlawed?...

Thread: Barnes Varmint Grenade

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

Barnes Varmint Grenade

YouTube - Barnes Varmint Grenade

Think these will be outlawed?

During Viet Nam, a round was developed that was hollow and contained bunches of needles in the hollow casing, that when it fired, the needles would shred throughout the body, wreaking havoc. The Geneva Convention people outlawed it as too inhuman. It's purpose was not to kill as it was designed to injure the enemy so badly that the enemy was no longer a combatant. It takes 5 to 7 people to care for one wounded soldier. If it did kill, that was just a by-product, not the primary intent.

This round would be declared illegal if the Geneva people hear about it, however, it's just a normal Varmint Round. I used to shoot 22/250 rifles, and it was a standard round. The bullet disintegrates upon impact. Fairly safe to people/objects not hit by bullet, devastating to the target however.

BTW, these are for re-loaders only. I don't think you can buy ready-made ammunition with these bullets. They are only in .20 and .22 diameter rounds.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    545 x 39 was not liked very well by the Geneva people also.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDannie View Post
    BTW, these are for re-loaders only. I don't think you can buy ready-made ammunition with these bullets. They are only in .20 and .22 diameter rounds.
    Not completely true as they are at least commercially loaded in .223 found here

They are also available in 6mm (.243) cal as well as found here

Though I have a friend who has tried them and not found them as accurate as other rounds in his .223 so I haven't tried them.

No, they won't be outlawed. The purpose of the varmit grenade is safety.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

During Viet Nam, a round was developed that was hollow and contained bunches of needles in the hollow casing, that when it fired, the needles would shred throughout the body, wreaking havoc. The Geneva Convention people outlawed it as too inhuman. It's purpose was not to kill as it was designed to injure the enemy so badly that the enemy was no longer a combatant. It takes 5 to 7 people to care for one wounded soldier. If it did kill, that was just a by-product, not the primary intent.

This round would be declared illegal if the Geneva people hear about it, however, it's just a normal Varmint Round. I used to shoot 22/250 rifles, and it was a standard round. The bullet disintegrates upon impact. Fairly safe to people/objects not hit by bullet, devastating to the target however.

The Geneva Convention has no authority over civilian ammunition.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I like that round! Sounds like I need to get a few of those for varmint control.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I believe those were shotgun rounds,called fleshette rounds,had a buncha needles with a flattened area on back to act like stabilizing fins,gunships also carried the 2.75" rockets with fleshettes,very nasty.
    I have seen the shotgun fleshette rounds being sold at gun shows,one drawback is the fleshettes are so light that they lose velocity pretty quick so they are a close range round
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well, Viet Nam was a long, long time ago, in a Galaxy far, far away . . . anyway, my memory isn't as good as it was, so I stand corrected on the numerous errors of my prior post.

Having said all that, I was implying that for us hand-gunners, these rounds are not easily available to us. As far as the Geneva issue, that was tongue in cheek comments.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

stick with Vmax, better bullet for long range work...
    some pics of my 70 kills from this summer..

longest was 460y with a 40gr 223 Vmax

groundhog wall of death - LongRangeHunting.com

Sponsored Links