G19

This is a discussion on G19 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally decided that I had to find out what all the magic is surrounding "GLOCK" weapons. Please forgive the fact that I'm new to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G19

Question G19

I finally decided that I had to find out what all the magic is surrounding "GLOCK" weapons. Please forgive the fact that I'm new to all this stuff, (41 years after Vietnam I'm just getting back to guns) but when I review the specs for the gun under ammo it says 9x19. I have a S&W 9mm and I use 9mm Luger ammo. Is there a difference? Can someone tell me what this is all about?
    Thanks guys,
    Jack
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Yes, 9X19=9mm Luger

Read this: 9x19mm Parabellum

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Yes, 9X19=9mm Luger

Read this: 9x19mm Parabellum
    Thanks, it was an interesting article.
    Jack
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

Hello jackg:

I'd like to try to answer this if I may.

I'm a career cop. I bought my first Glock, a G17 9mm, in 1991. My fellow officers thought that I was crazy since it wasn't a S&W .357 Magnum revolver. In the time that has followed, those same skeptical officers are now carrying Glocks in .40 on duty. To put it simply, Glocks absolutely WORK as often as you can reasonably expect something made by man to work and lemons are rare. In the past 20 years, I've owned all manner of Glock pistols, and I've NEVER had a single one that was unreliable out of the box. My experiences echoes that of my fellow officers and civilian concealed carry permit holders whom I've trained over the last decade.

Empirical evidence?

*During early 2009, one of our female police recruits bought a used G22 .40 from "Jo-Jo the Gun Plumber." The plunger was in BACKWARDS, as was its spring, and the bearing was competely MISSING. This wasn't noticed until AFTER firearms week, when she had already shot 1500 rounds...with NO MALFUNCTIONS.

*Approximately 2 years ago, one of our police recruits had a G22 with a visiblity chipped extractor near where it grasps the spent casing for ejection after firing. We did not have an extra part, so he continued to use G22. It never failed, even after 1500 rounds in 5 days.

*A fellow police academy instructor recently bought a new G19 9mm. While at the range after a heavy rain, he locked the slide back on his empty G19 and placed it on a plastic barrel while loading magazines. It fell muzzle-down into the mud and buried up past the dust cover to the trigger guard. He picked it up, ensured that the barrel was clear, and fired back-to-back 2 qualification courses (100 rounds)...with no malfunctions.

*In the early 90s, a friend of mine had a Generation 1 G17 9mm and a coffee-can full of inferior quality reloads of all configurations and bullet weights. They were in terrible shape, covered by corrosion, and oftentimes, green. His Glock 17 fed them all...every single one of them, with no visible degredation in accuracy.

I'm not going to say Glocks are perfect. They have their drawbacks, but I will say that in 2 decades on the range, I can attest to you that STATISTICALLY and MECHANICALLY, they are the most reliable sidearms I've ever seen.

To this day, the weapon I choose to defend myself, my family and my home, is a Glock 19, and I sleep very well.

can i get some Glock love?

Glock FTW!

sniff,sniff,

:cry:

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Yup.....nothin like a G19.....and RELIABILITY is Glock's middle name.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

It's hard to beat the dependability of a Glock...I'm just sayin...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

G19??

I have a set of G-19 Twins from 2009. I also have a G21 from 1991 and a G35 from 2009. All function 100%. The only issues I had was bad extractors for the G21 in 1992, which were fixed by Glock. All of my Glocks have had more than 1000 rounds run thru them before used for CCW. The G21 has more than 17,000 rounds thru it, the G35 has 4,000 and the twin G-19's one has 3,000 and the second just past 1,000 rounds. NO jams, stovepipes, or FTF. I trust my Glocks with my Life.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

VIP Member
    Glocks are totally reliable. As I have mentioned before, the only model I have seen issues with, are G27's. One kaboom almost took my friends hand off. That same gun also have issues with the firing pin as well.

Another G27 was jamming left and right when I was at the range on saturday. I had to laugh because I shot 350 rounds of the walmart value pack through my P22 without a hiccup, and the dude next to me kept asking the range master for help with his jamming Glock. Again that is rare and I can attest that my G19 has been golden and has eaten rounds forever.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Have had a half dozen Glocks, and presently own a G32 and G36. Never ever had a single FTF, misfire, jam, etc out of any of them. One time even grabbed my G32 high up on the grip during some practice from concealment and the slide tore a good chunk of flesh off the top web of my shooting hand as it cycled. It continued to fire even with blood and flesh everywhere and I know for sure that a similar mistake would have stopped any of my non-Glocks from continuing to cycle. I love a pistol that will do it's job even when I do something stupid like that.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Glock on ya'll!

One of the best combat handguns around.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Like jbourneidentity posted and from what I've heard, been told, read, blah, blah, blah......

MANY people consider the G19/G17 platform(s) to be ONE of the best (certinally argueably) SD/HD/duty sidearm made. I'm not a 'band-wagoneereer' and definatly not bought into the hype.......but.......I own a G23 and will soon be looking for a couple of G19's to my inventory (my son is soon to make me a Grandfather x2 so it's time to 'present' him with a new sidearm).
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I've owned my Glock 19 for 18 years and have fired thousands of rounds through it -- it has always worked as it's supposed to for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NativH View Post
    I love a pistol that will do it's job even when I do something stupid...
    There's some real truth there. In combat, things don't go like they do at the range, or even in training. A pistol that will tolerate less-than-perfect operation is a good thing.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Glock pistols were made for a reason, created out of necessity, and kept simple enough to almost be an enigma. Tactical from the word go. Initially built around the 9mm (9x19) platform for good reasons. I don't need to speak highly of Glock pistols because they already have a reputation. Of course the pistols themselves won't work for everyone. What a lot of folks don't like about them seems to be the grip. Maybe, just maybe the first generation Glock pistols were the best in this case.....where one could hold the grip where they wanted. The 3rd generation Glocks (the ones most here are familiar with as the current trend iand availability) have the finger grooves which almost force shooters to hold their grip highest. We all know that a high grip on a semi-auto pistol...closer to the bore axis...is best for accuracy and limits the felt recoil. I carried the G19 for almost two years after having Glocks for almost 12. It was my first of the compact models I had not considered before. IMO, the G19 is the perfect 9mm pistol, and what Glock is actually all about to me. The compact Glocks are actually a perfect balance in my opinion of capacity and concealability, as well as being well balanced in the hand, and I figure the 9mm to be still the most prevalent or preferred caliber for many reasons. One of the best reasons to choose a 9mm would be Glock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links