Black talon 9mm question

This is a discussion on Black talon 9mm question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my glock 19 I carry the first 5 rounds of old Winchester black talon 9mm no idea on grain or anything but the other ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black talon 9mm question

Black talon 9mm question

In my glock 19 I carry the first 5 rounds of old Winchester black talon 9mm no idea on grain or anything but the other 10 rounds are just target rounds:( I'm having a hard time locally finding a good SD round but I want to find some Speer gold dot 124 and when I do should I keep the black talons up top and use those first or just disregard those and have a full clip of gold dots? Now I heard the talons are a pretty mean round but they are before I was brought into the world of SD and using a gun to possibly stop a threat. Any info would be great thanks in advanced.

2. Remove Ads

Save the talons for the story. They are not much better or worser than the other SD ammo you have. It might be slightly better (the black talons), but rechambering a round over and over leads to other troubles.

Some will tell you there is no difference. I suggest wiki. I think they have it right (as in they are slightly better).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

You are carrying 15 year old ammo which has been exposed to who knows what, rechambered who knows how often...

Thank you. NO.

Ammunitiontogo.com is your friend.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    You are carrying 15 year old ammo which has been exposed to who knows what, rechambered who knows how often...

Thank you. NO.

That stuff is old. Get some new ammo, the Winchester Ranger T is basically the same thing.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I bought some BT .357

Fired 2 randomly selected rounds and put the other 18 in 3 speed loaders. I can say there is a kick but not much worse then other hot .357 loads. They make water jugs explode very nice!

The BT also uses a heavier then normal bullet. Probably 130 grain or more in that 9mm

go have some fun with the black talons, keep one for a memento, and get some new ammo for your CCW.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    Remember, BTs are infamous for jacket separation. They are a mean round, during expansion, part spreads out into razor like blades that cut you up pretty bad while spinning through you.

Those are pretty old, and as others have said, could have other problems because of multiple chambering.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Yep, Win. Ranger T's.....and as stated prior, that's pretty old stuff. Sounds like something that's begging to be "milk-jug" tested next range trip.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

well thank you for the replies i will go find something cool to shoot with the BT. I should mention though as far as storage with those they were stored in ammo containers like the rest of the rounds i shoot and also the box was never opened so I am the first to chamber those.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post

Thank you. NO.

+1. old ammo is fine if it's been stored properly, if you don't know where it's been, dump it. JD is right ranger T is the same ammo.
    Randy
    Law Enforcement Armorer
    NRA
    GOA
    Range Officer
    Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.

VIP Member
    I have 6 BT's left over from my Dad's stash, use Corbon DPX's in my .357 now.

Use the talons first shot!

Don't ever carry with fmj ball target ammo!It's good you are using the talons for the first few shots,till you can find a full box of SD ammo.Black talon are great deadly rounds.They won't go bad if stored in a dry place.The sharp talons cause deady wound channels.The new version is the winchester ranger talons.Look for them or any brand name 147GR. hollow point.I like bigger bullets/holes.Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jarin12ga View Post
    Don't ever carry with fmj ball target ammo!It's good you are using the talons for the first few shots,till you can find a full box of SD ammo.Black talon are great deadly rounds.They won't go bad if stored in a dry place.The sharp talons cause deady wound channels.The new version is the winchester ranger talons.Look for them or any brand name 147GR. hollow point.I like bigger bullets/holes.Good Luck!
    Even then, they won't go bad. Ammo has been stored for years in damp conditions and still shoots fine. There's been a ton of WW II ammo found that still shoots fine after decades of "improper" storage.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

i got some and they are for looks. hard to find them these days.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Do NOT use these for SD, they are a Prosecutor's wet dream.

The new Winchester PDX1 round is the next step in the evolution of the Talon line. It is more effective and doesn't have the bad press of the black talon.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links