Do you buy for the bullet or the load brand?

This is a discussion on Do you buy for the bullet or the load brand? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There's no arguing that the bullet is what gets the job done. My question is this.... Do you guys shop for the "bullet" as opposed ...

Thread: Do you buy for the bullet or the load brand?

Question Do you buy for the bullet or the load brand?

There's no arguing that the bullet is what gets the job done. My question is this.... Do you guys shop for the "bullet" as opposed to the manufacturer of the load? Example, say you like the XTP bullet. Will you only buy it in the Hornady Custom loading, or would you also buy the Fiocchi loading because it uses the same XTP bullet? Same thing with a Gold Dot, would you limit yourself to only Speer manufactured loads or would you also buy the Black Hills that uses the same Gold Dot bullet? This all assumes we're comparing same bullet weights, +p to +p, etc.

I'm not shopping for ammo or wondering what you think the best is. I'm wondering what people think of the same bullet loaded by different manufacturers, and whether you consider them with equal regard.

Thanks.
    Last edited by rico68; December 30th, 2009 at 01:22 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I buy for performance of which bullet design is a part. That is if I don't just make it myself.

Both

I buy the Buffalo Bore Jhp that uses the Speer Gold Dot. I buy that instead of the Speer brand because I feel that the Buffalo Bore load is better tuned for short barrels.

For proof compare the ballistics from the buffalo bore here:
    Buffalo Bore 125gr Speer Low Velocity JHC

11.6 to 12.5 inches

Against the ballistics here:

Speer 135 grain Gold Dot Short Barrel

9.4 to 10.2 inches.

I do differentiate between range ammo and personal defense ammo. I will do the bulk of my shooting with, say, a 158 grain lead round nose or wadcutter, then finish off with the premium +P hollow points in the same grain. With range ammo I guess I'm looking for the best price but for self defense I'm looking for the best quality/performance.

I buy cheap stuff for the brass.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I buy brand names that most would agree to be quality ammo, but more importantly...what my gun eagerly eats.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I buy for the bullet and it's velocity. If we are talking identical bullets within an advertised 20fps of each other it then becomes price.
    Having fired Black Hills ammo competitively and with their history with the military the bullet manufacturer is going to have to be offering me something pretty special to get me to buy their product instead of Black Hills!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I buy for performance of which bullet design is a part. That is if I don't just make it myself.
    Howdy Mr. bmcgilvray.

I've missed your intelligence around here. I concur with your assessment of the situation.

Biker

Links