Take a chance on this ammo?

This is a discussion on Take a chance on this ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Awfully cheap 9mm ammo from Sportman's Guide. Anyone have knowledge of this stuff? tx! "Value-priced *pop* for the high-volume shooter! 1970s-production Pakistani Ammo loaded to ...

Distinguished Member

Awfully cheap 9mm ammo from Sportman's Guide. Anyone have knowledge of this stuff? tx!

"Value-priced *pop* for the high-volume shooter! 1970s-production Pakistani Ammo loaded to exacting standards.

Brass-cased, berdan-primed, and non-corrosive. Non-reloadable. Muzzle velocity is 1,150 f.p.s. Muzzle energy is 364 ft.-lbs. 50 rds. / box, 2,500 rds. / sealed tin."
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

For range use I see nothing wrong with it.

Self defensive usage is a different matter all together. There's too much good ammo out there, with documentation in real life shootings to use this stuff. Ammo doesn't have to be the "latest and greatest" to be effective, but I think this ammo is going to the extreme in the opposite direction. In short, too cheap with no proven history of defensive usage that I can reasonably summon for court usage.

Biker

I'll let someone else be the guinea pig on this one. I don't have a lot of faith in anything Pakistani-made. I've seen too many photos of their ammo and firearms "factories".
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I'll let someone else be the guinea pig on this one. I don't have a lot of faith in anything Pakistani-made. I've seen too many photos of their ammo and firearms "factories".
    That would be me.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Be sure to come back with a range report.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I think that I would not trust the "non corrosive" statement and clean it well after use.

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    "Value-priced *pop* for the high-volume shooter! 1970s-production Pakistani Ammo loaded to exacting standards.
    Brass-cased, berdan-primed, and non-corrosive. Non-reloadable. Muzzle velocity is 1,150 f.p.s. Muzzle energy is 364 ft.-lbs. 50 rds. / box, 2,500 rds. / sealed tin."
    This is something I just don't get. Brass cased, Berdan-primed. What's the use of doing that with pistol ammo? Selling brass at scrap prices? Pakistan and non-corrosive just don't seem to go together in the same sentence...know what I mean? Heck...over there, children under ten years old are making ammo as well as firearms. A little desert sand with that powder? How many commercial ammo factories did Pakistan actually have in the 1970's?
    What are you going to shoot this ammo in specifically? Yeah.....I have a lot of surplus ammo in 7.62x39 to run through the AK. Heck....the AK was built on that stuff, and mine has a chrome lined bore as well, and I clean it with the possibility of corrosive ammo in mind. A good deal is a good deal, and who am I to talk somebody out of a good deal? "Value priced for the high volume shooter". What's an acceptable FTF percentage in that equation? 2%, 5%, 10%? Short term, it all looks good these days. Why wouldn't it? In the long run.....well, the test of time will tell. Get a picture of the box top, the name of the factory that produced it, the year of manufacture, and we can all research it on the internet and find out what for. I'm just sayin'. If the price seems too good to be true, then it probably is.

Links