Is the 10mm still around?

This is a discussion on Is the 10mm still around? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everybody. At moment I am saving money to buy an second glock. This time I want something bigger than the 9mm. I would be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the 10mm still around?

Hi everybody. At moment I am saving money to buy an second glock. This time I want something bigger than the 9mm. I would be intersted in buying an glock 20. But I am a bit worried about the 10mm supply. At least here in austria most 10mm rounds available aren't more powerfull then the most 40 s&sw loads. How about the situation in the USA? Are there some 10mm full power loads still available. I know that double tapp ammo offers some great 10mm rounds, but double tapp is not available here in austria. I need something, from the mainstream companies, like federal, winchester, remington and hornady

I would be pleased hearing some opineons.

Greetings from austria.

ps: If I cant find some decent 10mm auto rounds, I will buy the glock 21. In .45 apc the ammo suply is much better.

It seems like ever since .40S&W came on the scene, the 10mm has seemed to drift away. I just don't seem to see 10mm around that much anymore.

I think a .40S&W, or a .45 acp would work just fine.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Moderator
    The 10MM is still alive and kicking.

Although the ammo is pricey and not as available, the 10MM enjoys a cult like following.

I've been thinking of a G20 myself. It is still one of the finest semi auto handgun cartridges made and its a class pretty much by itself. It is superior in every way to the .45.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

It is definitely around...and is a very powerful handgun round. On of our gun advocates and rock stars, ted nugent uses and carried 10mm very regularly, and in a Glock 20. I say go for it if you can buy the ammo.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Glock 29 is my next purchase. it will become my new EDC replacing my G26 which is going to the wife

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The 10MM is still alive and kicking.

Although the ammo is pricey and not as available, the 10MM enjoys a cult like following.
    Yes, it does.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

One problem with the 10mm is current ammo has been down loaded to keep from breaking those antique steel frame guns made for it. Go to the web site for Double Tap ammo and you can order ammo loaded to the original specs.

While you may not be able to walk into the local hardware store and buy 10mm it is readily available on line

Love my G20 and if I could have any of my handguns here it would be the G20.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I'm in the cult. I like the Colt Delta Elite. It's the only 10mm I have.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
    Hi everybody. At moment I am saving money to buy an second glock. This time I want something bigger than the 9mm. I would be intersted in buying an glock 20. But I am a bit worried about the 10mm supply. At least here in austria most 10mm rounds available aren't more powerfull then the most 40 s&sw loads. How about the situation in the USA? Are there some 10mm full power loads still available. I know that double tapp ammo offers some great 10mm rounds, but double tapp is not available here in austria. I need something, from the mainstream companies, like federal, winchester, remington and hornady

I would be pleased hearing some opineons.

Greetings from austria.

ps: If I cant find some decent 10mm auto rounds, I will buy the glock 21. In .45 apc the ammo suply is much better.
    If you can own jacketed hollow points, the Winchester 175gr Silvertip is a full-power 10mm load.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I had the Colt Delta Elite for about 2 years but traded it for a Sig 220. After 700 rounds I had CONSIDERABLE damage/wear to slide rail and 2 broken springs. All the ammo was factory winchester HP. I know it was a Colt, but I it was wearing very badly unlike any Colt a have ever owned. I Don't know why it did what it did but I decided to trade it. The ammo was plentiful, a little more than a box of .45 acp, this was 18 years ago,I would consider another 10mm like the Glock 20 but not another DE. Good luck with the search!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    The 10mm was developed for the FBI because the 9mm did not have the stopping power and when they started to train with the 10mm the Female agents complained about the kick from it... Then the 40S&W came on the market and was much better all around...

if you look at Law Enforcement Departments alot use the 40S&W over the 9mm I know this is not the question you are asking... but that is one reason why i bought a 40cal instead of a 9mm, because more of the 40cal is being used there for more of it is being made.

Last time i was at the Gun Show they had maybe 150-200 rounds of 10mm...and it was pricey...

My advice is if you like to shoot and NOT spend alot of time looking for ammo... don't get a 10mm..... I LOVE my 40cal... with different types/grains/points.... I can achieve the same ballistics as a 10mm
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I had a Glock 20 and loved that gun, but the price of the ammo was not conducive to being able to shoot alot...
    It's still out there, you can't just pick up the ammo anywhere, but you can find it!

If you can not find ammo in your country or order it from internet I would not go with the 10MM Glock due to everyone getting all worried when you re-use brass in a Glock. Do some research and find out how much trouble you are going to have getting ammo. If you see you are going to have a problem you might want to consider a different gun maker or a different caliber. I have a 10MM and love it.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Yes, the 10mm is very much alive and kicking! Ammunition is available from many manufacturers. IMHO the Federal 180 gr Hydro-shock JHP and the Hornady 200 gr XTP JHP are great "mainstream" choices. Because of the larger case volume, 10mm has the potential for far greater performance than 40 Small and Weak. Search the archived threads here and get the full story including links to some good external references.

Alive and kicking! Join the club!

If you get a Glock 20 or 29 you can get after market barrels to shoot 40's & 357sigs out of it too, very versatile! (ok, you can also get 9x25 barrels) A 4-in-1 gun !
    Lone Wolf Distributors - Products

I buy all my factory ammo online. What I CAN find at a walk-in store is usually not what I want anyways. I advise online shopping! you won't be disappointed by the selection and availability.
    DoubleTap Ammunition

You can reload if you use the aftermarket barrels. The factory barrels do leave a bit of a bulge near the base of the case but there are dies that will take that out too.

Don't let the negative "Eeyores" talk you out of an awesome, versatile gun!

I also hunt hogs with mine. Something you can't do with 99% of .45 loads and NO 9mm loads. Well, you can but let me step back a ways before you try...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links