22 through 45colt

22 through 45colt

This is a discussion on 22 through 45colt within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i came across this pic and added the calibers at the bottom. i figured there might be somebody out there that may want to see ...

Thread: 22 through 45colt

Arrow 22 through 45colt

i came across this pic and added the calibers at the bottom. i figured there might be somebody out there that may want to see it...

Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

I never realized how close a .32 and .380 are in size. Probably because I don't see any .32's.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Great pic. It kind of puts the whole size thing in to perspective.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Here's one with .50 AE

Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by JustInCase View Post
    i came across this pic and added the calibers at the bottom. i figured there might be somebody out there that may want to see it...

Gee, I don't remember the last time I saw a .357 with a RNL bullet. Gotta love that Keith SWC on the .45 Colt, though.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I was planning on my next purchase being a .40 This pic putting 9mm, .40, and .45 into perspective with each other I'm wondering if I would be better served just going to a .45. The 45 just kind of dwarfs the 9 and 40 in comparison. I've got two 9mms, two 38s, and a 357 Magnum. If I'm going to go to a larger round, why not jump to the 45? Any thoughts? I like the Glock 23 as I have shot my buddy's and only shot a 1911 .45 once.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Size does not matter!!!!
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Size does not matter!!!!
    LOL

In addition, size often tells little about power (powder) of the caliber.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Size can be deceptive, stay with your gut feelings
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

My gut tells me my 357 Magnum is probably more effective than my 38 specials and 9mms. My gut also gets in the way of me carrying that tank. Many models the 40 and 45 are the same size weapon (only difference being capacity). I haven't studied ballistics to any great degree, so I can't really speak to advantages of one over the other. I wouldn't want to experience either of them for myself.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Using a common size metric measurement: the 9mm is of course 9 millimeters in diameter (9x19mm NATO), the .40 S&W is 10 millimeters in diameter (10x22mm NATO) and the .45 ACP is 11.43 millimeters (11.4323mm NATO).

What matters more is what is behind the bullet, as in the powder, gun and the shooter. All should be taken together as a package. If the shooter aims poorly, I don't care if you use a howitzer it won't matter, and an expert marksman might be fine with a .22WMR in a quality firearm.

Not trying to get a flame war about caliber or mine is better that yours, just trying to put a different perspective on things. So far everything I have is in the 9mm range (.380ACP is a 9x17mm NATO), but I am planning on expanding into the larger calibers as time goes on. .40 S&W is next and then into the .45ACP, unless I can get someone to give me an unwanted 1911.

Whatever you go with, practice. Get good with it. That is what matters.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I was planning on my next purchase being a .40 This pic putting 9mm, .40, and .45 into perspective with each other I'm wondering if I would be better served just going to a .45. The 45 just kind of dwarfs the 9 and 40 in comparison. I've got two 9mms, two 38s, and a 357 Magnum. If I'm going to go to a larger round, why not jump to the 45? Any thoughts? I like the Glock 23 as I have shot my buddy's and only shot a 1911 .45 once.

The Marshall and Sanow study gives the .40 and .45 ACP identical effectiveness of 94% with the best loads, and I personally have guns chambered for both. I personally find the .45 ACP a little more pleasant to shoot because it's less "poppy" than the .40 round. On the other hand, with the .45 ACP you may end up with less reliable expansion with barrels shorter than 5 inches, whereas the .40 is designed to perform very well with shorter barrels. Just my thoughts on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Size does not matter!!!!
    No matter how many times she tells you that....

She's still lying

My thought is like this...

If you're in the market for a muscle car, and you have an option of buying a 71 Barracuda with the 340, or the 427 Hemi for basically the same cost, which do you buy?

A better question for you, Why NOT go with the 45?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What! No 10mm or .357 Sig? Outragous! Blasphemy!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

booyah makes a good point... the .40 DOES have more power behind it than the .45..... LOL! just poking fun!

I like the pictures, kind of neat - but like it has been said already - the diameter of the bullet is only a SMALL part of its total effectiveness. Can you make the hits, and put them in vital spots during an adreneline surge is what is really important.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Links