Ratio of practice ammo to SD ammo

This is a discussion on Ratio of practice ammo to SD ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have recently gotten my PTC and have been trying to get to the range at least once a month. I have shot multiple brands ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ratio of practice ammo to SD ammo

I have recently gotten my PTC and have been trying to get to the range at least once a month. I have shot multiple brands names and types of ammo through my pistol (Stoeger Cougar) to see what it would handle. So far it has not had a FTE or FTF. I am wondering though what ratio of SD ammo should be maintained in relation to practice ammo. I understand that practice ammo would function as SD ammo if things ever got really bad, but I'm trying to come up with some type of plan that maximizes my ammo budget.

my ratio 10 - 1 , but I do shoot SD ammo while practicing as well.

I don't have any particular ratio. I simply shoot enough SD ammo to keep familiar with it.

Follow up ...

I think I misunderstood the question. I was referring to shooting and you were referring to ammo on hand, I think.

That being the case, the ratio is probably 8 to 1 or there abouts.
    Last edited by Majorlk; January 15th, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I might say it's changed over the years. What used to be an approximated 10% SD ammo should now run around 20% for us compared to range ammo. But......a lot of the range ammo is spent on competition for us monthly. 600 rounds easy go for that. We try to recover that in a month's time before the next match and gain some in the process.

SD ammo = enough for a war!

Practice ammo = enough to practice for a war!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Anymore I just buy good ammo whenever I can find it so my ratio is all screwed up. Basically though, I try to aim for about 20-30% SD to range ammo which is probably on the high side. Can't hurt to have extra though.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    right now I'm sitting at about 4:1 practice:SD, about an 800/200 mix. I'm hoping to keep the ratio about the same but increase the amount of weight in the bottom of the safe by... well, a lot.

Doubling or tripling the onhand 9mm stash, increasing the .380 stash tenfold, and getting a couple thousand rounds of .223 wolf for training classes, another thousand or two of M855 for practice/range sessions/SHTF so I can have re-loadable brass, and a couple hundred JSP or JHP SD rounds for HD. It adds up quickly, both in the bottom of the safe and in the hits to the bank account.

I have about double the total amount of .38 special to .357 magnum. But of the magnum, a much higher percentage of that total is top shelf SD. I would say about 20% SD for the .38 and about 70% for the .357 mag.

20/1000 right now because I can't find anymore Speer Gold Dot +p.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Isn't it all SD when things deteriorate?

Yes NC, it is and I thought I indicated that in my op. I am just looking for some ideas for normal, not end of the world stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunkychuck View Post
    Yes NC, it is and I thought I indicated that in my op. I am just looking for some ideas for normal, not end of the world stuff.
    That you did and my bad, guess when I get sidetracked trying to read the post and something elsewhere requires attention I need to re start.

As to "The Good Stuff" vs training, I recommend that when you buy the good stuff if you can, buy large. This will usually keep the purchase in one lot number so if some goes boom the rest will most likely do the same. I also try to rotate out my carry rounds every 2 to 4 months so that's about 15 rounds a month along with what ever I have time for with the target ammo. If I get 500 rounds of SD ammo that keeps me going for a bit over 2 years between purchases. Although, if you spot a deal in the interim then you can hop on it.

Any time I get a new lot number I run at least a mag for a self convincing factor. Then the rest goes into rotation.

Don't put too much emphasis on ratio but on how much you can practice. More practice, more target ammo. Keep the SD usage about the same. Just don't run out.

Hope this made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    This is actually a very true statement.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    So very true!!!!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I try to keep enough SD ammo to fill the gun & magazines/speed loaders that are carried plus one box as a backup per gun. The rest is as much practice ammo as I can find and afford.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links