Firing .22LR in a .22Mag revolver.

This is a discussion on Firing .22LR in a .22Mag revolver. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Freedom Arms 4 shot in .22 mag. I want to fire .22 LR in the pistol for practice as the ammo is ...

Thread: Firing .22LR in a .22Mag revolver.

Firing .22LR in a .22Mag revolver.

I have a Freedom Arms 4 shot in .22 mag. I want to fire .22 LR in the pistol for practice as the ammo is cheaper. Is this a problem? I understand that the NAA mini comes with both a .22LR as well as a .22MAG cylinder, but I thought the .22LR was a five shot cylinder and the mag was a four shot cylinder. It appears the LR is shorter than the mag, and maybe slightly less in diameter?

I don't want to do something stupid, even though my ex-wife said I was mentally challenged.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

2. Remove Ads

I dont know about the freedom arms but I have a NAA 22 mag and it specifically says not to fire 22 long rifle in it.I think it would be a bad idea in my opinion.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

I have several 22s that say "short, long, or long rifle" but none of my 22 magnums say anything but 22 magnum. There must be a good reason or they would list all of them like above. Perhaps not. If they were interchangeable, why would the revolvers (like the one I have) come with 2 cylinders in the same gun? Why wouldn't they just come with one that would fire all of them?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

DO NOT fire a .22 shell in a .22 mag firearm...different diameters...can be dangerous.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

Don't do it

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDannie View Post
    I have a Freedom Arms 4 shot in .22 mag. I want to fire .22 LR in the pistol for practice as the ammo is cheaper. Is this a problem? I understand that the NAA mini comes with both a .22LR as well as a .22MAG cylinder, but I thought the .22LR was a five shot cylinder and the mag was a four shot cylinder. It appears the LR is shorter than the mag, and maybe slightly less in diameter?

I don't want to do something stupid, even though my ex-wife said I was mentally challenged.
    The NAA 22 mag I've used had a 5 shot cylinder for the magnum round. It would be a big mistake to try to fire a 22 lr from that cylinder. Not even sure you could do it, but if you could it would not get a nice result. Wrong diameter, wrong length.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    DO NOT fire a .22 shell in a .22 mag firearm...different diameters...can be dangerous.
    Concur.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Probably not too dangerous with shooting glasses. However, the case will split and be jammed up against the recoil shield; thereby jamming up the cilinder and could be hard to extract.

nn got it right. it will split the cases and jam up the gun. Also spits lots of gas and soot. Not worth the risk.

Never, Never, Never

Did I say Never!!!!

Unless you got a Ruger Single Six with both 22lr cylinder and 22mag cylinder. 22mag is bigger and 22lr will be loose. The rim of the 22mag is a tad thicker then the 22lr. Also never use a cylinder that the serial don't match. Both Ruger cylinders have the same serial number as the frame of the gun. You will need a quilified gunsmith to match the indexing ratchit. Cheaper to buy a good used 22lr revolver then pay for the gunsmith.
    Last edited by 007BondJames; January 18th, 2010 at 03:29 PM.

VIP Member
    Now are you going to try it ?.

Look closely at a .22 Long Rifle round and a .22 Magnum round.

The Magnum bullet fits into the Magnum case - so the inside diameter ID) of the case accepts the outside diameter (OD) of the bullet.

The LR bullet (Shorts + Longs, too), though, is "heeled" - it has a smaller diameter at its base so it fits inside the LR case, and the 0.224" bullet diameter is essential the same as the case OD.

Both bullets have the same OD, about 0.224", so the same barrel can be used for both bullets.

I grabbed the calipers and measured a LR case OD - 0.225". Case ID was about 0.195", so that's the approximate diameter of the LR bullet heel.

The Magnum case OD was 0.239".

So... drop a LR round into a Magnum chamber, the brass case will expand upon firing to fit the Magnum chamber diameter... but will probably split in the process. In all likelihood a modern quality firearm won't be damaged, but there will be hot gas and small bits of brass case spraying the shooter.

Bottom line - DON'T DO IT!!!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links