Ammo and Insurance

Ammo and Insurance

This is a discussion on Ammo and Insurance within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have recently been looking at all the options of insurance policy riders to cover my handguns. Everyone of them wants to know what I have ...

Question Ammo and Insurance

Have recently been looking at all the options of insurance policy riders to cover my handguns. Everyone of them wants to know what I have and how much I paid for each of them. However my question is at anywhere from $15 and up per box ammo do most policies cover replacement of my ammo supply? Have not found an answer since most sites just quote you on the policy but you don't actually get to read the policy until issued. Anyone know?
    The gun fight you really win is the gunfight you avoided.

Ammo Insurance???

Why in the world would you insure ammo? I shoot mine up, almost as fast as I get it. It's an "expendable item". Are you thinking of insuring your food in the kitchen as well?

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Why in the world would you insure ammo? I shoot mine up, almost as fast as I get it. It's an "expendable item". Are you thinking of insuring your food in the kitchen as well?
    Many people keep some level of an ammo reserve on hand to ensure they have enough of ammo when/if they need it. Many things can affect your ability to re-stock. Such as natural disasters, civil unrest, government regulations, and soaring ammo prices.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

My ammo IS my insurance.
    I have a 'large policy'.

You can add anything on an insurance policy, if you have extra bucks. I don't believe it would be worth it. Spend your $$$ on training and more ammo, not insurance. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Actually the food in my kitchen is replaced in event of catastrophic event with my homeowners.
    The gun fight you really win is the gunfight you avoided.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by volfan View Post
    Actually the food in my kitchen is replaced in event of catastrophic event with my homeowners.
    Yes , some folks are not aware of this. Must be one of the lucky few who have never had a power outage of substantial duration. I have 1 refrigerator, 2 freezers . your talking a lot of grocery.

But I think ret has put it quite succinctly

"Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime." ~Ernest Hemingway
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Spend the insurance money on a good safe, cheaper in the long run.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Both food and ammo are insured for loss. Why not if the cost is minimal? On my policy the ammo is included in the gun coverage.

I don't need a list on a computer somewhere of my guns.
    Maybe I'm just not that trusting.
    Someday, your health insurance provider will say, "Mr. Volfan, I see you keep guns in the house. I'm afraid your health insurance premiums will increase to $1000 per month. It's the new federal regulation"

How much is your detuctable? How much is your ammo worth? If the dollar gap between the the two represents a risk so great that you would be happier paying the insurance company to assume the risk get insurance, if it is not covered under your current policy.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    How much is your detuctable? How much is your ammo worth? If the dollar gap between the the two represents a risk so great that you would be happier paying the insurance company to assume the risk get insurance, if it is not covered under your current policy.
    Unless there's something strange going on, the guns and ammo won't be the only thing damaged or stolen. Many insurance policies cover a small amount of firearms but not a bunch. The rates to increase coverage seem to be pretty fair. My home policy also covers the goodies when traveling so theft from the baggage or trunk is covered too.

I had an insurance claim due to a water pipe breaking in my basement. My homeowners policy covered the plumbing bill(0bviously) and the submerged ammo which wiped out the entire deductible. They covered the cost of two more cases of FMJ to boot. I never added firearms coverage to my policy. As someone else mentioned, I have a Fireproof Safe instead.

I scanned all my handguns showing the serial numbers and condition. I then made a dvd disc and keep it in a safety deposit box at the bank. I also use a safe.

Links