45acp/10mm

45acp/10mm

This is a discussion on 45acp/10mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi I would like to get all of your thoughts and opinions. What is better for SD/Carry 10mm or 45ACP? I know some may think ...

View Poll Results: Which 10mm/45ACP

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • 45ACP

132 79.04%
  • 10MM

35 20.96%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45acp/10mm

45acp/10mm

Hi
    I would like to get all of your thoughts and opinions.

What is better for SD/Carry 10mm or 45ACP?

I know some may think other cals are better than either please post your opinion.
    But I am mostly just concerned with the 10mm and 45acp. thats the only reason the poll states those two.

Thanks

.45ACP, without a doubt. while the 10mm is a great round, and can take down a bear, there are issues which make it problematic:

#1 - it's expensive.

#2 - it's not readily available.

#3 - the recoil, as i understand it, is pretty bad.

#4 - from a legal perspective, it would be hard to justify carrying it. a man was found guilty of murder after using it in a self defense shooting. he was in mountain lion territory, i believe, and had to shoot a vagrant. the DA based his murder charge on the fact that he was carrying the 10mm. unbelievable, but true. i' sure someone else kows the story, and will come around with more facts.

i'd just as well carry the .45ACP; it's readily available, affordable, and more socially acceptable (i can't believe i said that about ammo). besides, if you're not a good shot, it wouldn't matter if you carry .22LR or .50BMG.

It's .45 caliber for me.
    It is what I have trained with, what I carry, and what I have purchased for stocking my shelves...it's much easier to find and afford.

To each his own...for larger 'preditors' I still have my coach gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

45 for all the reasons stated. 10 is a great round, but as I see it now it is a very "speciality" round. I have several friends who use it, and I wish I had one, but. Expnsive, hard too handle for most people. There is a reason the FBI went away.

EdC
    More selections in firearms, ammo availability and expense.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    .45ACP, without a doubt. while the 10mm is a great round, and can take down a bear, there are issues which make it problematic:

#1 - it's expensive.

#4 - from a legal perspective, it would be hard to justify carrying it. a man was found guilty of murder after using it in a self defense shooting. he was in mountain lion territory, i believe, and had to shoot a vagrant. the DA based his murder charge on the fact that he was carrying the 10mm. unbelievable, but true. i' sure someone else kows the story, and will come around with more facts.

i'd just as well carry the .45ACP; it's readily available, affordable, and more socially acceptable (i can't believe i said that about ammo). besides, if you're not a good shot, it wouldn't matter if you carry .22LR or .50BMG.
    IMHO,

1. I haven't found 10mm to be significantly more expensive than .45
    2. I order my 10mm ammo online and find that it's easily available.
    3. I don't find the recoil of my G29 as unmanageable at all.
    4. You're speaking about the Harold Fish case in AZ, his conviction was overturned. His initial conviction was based on more than just the caliber of weapon he was carrying, but the fact that he had a 10mm was used by the DA.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich1B View Post
    IMHO,

1. I haven't found 10mm to be significantly more expensive than .45
    2. I order my 10mm ammo online and find that it's easily available.
    3. I don't find the recoil of my G29 as unmanageable at all.
    4. You're speaking about the Harold Fish case in AZ, his conviction was overturned. His initial conviction was based on more than just the caliber of weapon he was carrying, but the fact that he had a 10mm was used by the DA.
    was it overturned? good for him; i thought that was a railroad job when i heard it.

i'm basing my opinions on the price from what i've seen in stores in my area. 10mm costs twice as much as .45ACP in the few store that carry it. you sure won't find it in Walmart!

a buddy of mine bought a Colt Delta Elite. he's having a ******* time getting ammo for it. we went and shot it when he first got it; it hurt like a (shut yo mouth!). much more recoil than i expected, in a 1911 frame. still fun to shoot, though.

was it overturned? good for him; i thought that was a railroad job when i heard it.

i'm basing my opinions on the price from what i've seen in stores in my area. 10mm costs twice as much as .45ACP in the few store that carry it. you sure won't find it in Walmart!

a buddy of mine bought a Colt Delta Elite. he's having a ******* time getting ammo for it. we went and shot it when he first got it; it hurt like a (shut yo mouth!). much more recoil than i expected, in a 1911 frame. still fun to shoot, though.
    LOL - For sure, you won't find 10mm in Walmart. I get my 10mm range ammo from Georgia Arms - Georgia Arms - 10 MM When purchased online, I find 10mm ammo no more expensive that .45.

The Colt Delta Elite is a great gun. Since I've not shot a 1911 10mm, I can't really offer a comparison with the G29. But, for me, the G29 - while snappy - does not much more recoil that my Taurus .45.

I would just suggest to the OP, that you try both and get what you like. They're both great calibers IMO.

Here's a link to the FBI's notes on the 10mm - http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi_10mm_notes.pdf
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

BAC
    #1 - it's expensive.

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Not really; it's only a hair worse than a 40 S&W.

4) Not a chance. There were a number of problems wrong with that man's defense. Caliber was mentioned but was certainly not the defining issue. A legal shot with a .50 AE is a legal shot. A bad shot with a .38 Special is still a bad shot. It is good to hear he was cleared of the conviction, though.

I'm hoping Vltor's introduction of the modernized Bren Ten will bring the 10mm back to prominence. That caliber's biggest downfall, historically, was that nobody was making durable, reliable, dedicated 10mm weapons. I think all but one or two models were converted pistols.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich1B View Post
    LOL - For sure, you won't find 10mm in Walmart. I get my 10mm range ammo from Georgia Arms - Georgia Arms - 10 MM When purchased online, I find 10mm ammo no more expensive that .45.

The Colt Delta Elite is a great gun. Since I've not shot a 1911 10mm, I can't really offer a comparison with the G29. But, for me, the G29 - while snappy - does not much more recoil that my Taurus .45.

I would just suggest to the OP, that you try both and get what you like. They're both great calibers IMO.

Here's a link to the FBI's notes on the 10mm - http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi_10mm_notes.pdf
    Actually the 10mm and 45ACp is what I have carried for years. I have not found a 1911 in 10mm I like yet so I carry either a G20 or the g29, I prefer the g20.
    When I carry the 45 acp its a 1911 or a g30/g21.
    The reason I posted this poll is I am interested in everyones opinions and why they carry either one. I personally really like to carry 10mm most look at you like you are crazy to carry a 10mm. I don't really understand that.

Simple..................... .45ACP.

Cost should not be a top criteria for what you carry for self defense purposes.

Right now Cabelas has Winchester 230 gr JHP 45 ACP for 0.48 a bullet
    Wideners has 180 gr JHP 10mm for 0.70 a bullet, and
    Doubletap has a plethora of 10mm at 0.77 a bullet

It just does not make sense to "go cheap" when it could be my life that is on the line.

During these trying times of ammunition scarcity, 10mm is no less available than many other calibers. My local range does stock it, but I do generally buy 10mm online.

Recoil management is dependent upon a lot of factors, not just bullet caliber. IMHO a Kimber Eclipse (Government sized) in 10mm does not present recoil issues over a Springfield Government size in 45 ACP. They do feel different, but in some ways slide recoil actually seems "smoother" in 10mm.

At distances of 6 feet or less and using modern ammunition, there is no practical benefit to one of these calibers over the other. Beyond 10 yards and with more massive threats, the 10mm starts to show value. Two things that often get overlooked in the whole FBI 10mm debate are:

1. 10mm was adopted to deal with threats using light cover (such as car doors), and
    2. 10mm was evaluated to have greater future potential from the perspective of ammunition development. The case volume, loading pressures (around double that of 45 ACP), and bullet configuration all allow for tremendous performance growth.

Subsequent developments in ammunition have NOT realized this potential. Instead technology advances have improved powders (in existing case volumes) and bullet terminal ballistics. From a technical perspective, the best days of the 10mm are still to come (and may never be realized).

From a self defense perspective, I would prefer a 10mm to a 45 ACP outdoors and carrying a larger self defense tool.

+1 for 10mm. Love shooting my Glock 29. No more recoil then a .40 s&w and MUCH easier to handle then my S&W 638 in .38spl +p
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I'm going against the grain on this one.
    The .45 is easier to find. It's a respectable caliber. There are Many more guns made in the caliber.

The 10mm is a wicked serious round! The 10mm has far more penetration and foot pounds of energy than a .45 does.

I own both- the two are comparable, but I believe the 10mm to be the better stopper.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    10mm

Check with DoubleTap and Georgia-Arms for any ammo worries.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links