357 Sig or 10mm?

This is a discussion on 357 Sig or 10mm? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which one would be the better option for CC? I just want one of these calibers. I have 45,9,40,380,357,38sp....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 357 Sig or 10mm?

357 Sig or 10mm?

Which one would be the better option for CC? I just want one of these calibers. I have 45,9,40,380,357,38sp.

2. Remove Ads

I believe it is easier to find self defense loads in 357Sig than in 10mm. I have also heard that many manufacturers do not load 10mm to full capacity. I carry a Full Size S&WM&P357Sig with Crimson Trace laser grip daily. I like the platform and also the performance of the 125gr Speer Gold Dot. It is really up to personal preference and what works best for the individual.

I swapped my Sig P226 40cal barrel with .357SIG after shooting about 300rds of 40cal. Never went back after that. In fact, I found shortky thereafter that I shoot better with .357SIG. Can't compare to 10mm because I have no experience with 10mm. I do agree that .357SIG ammo is more readily available.

CA allows 3 guns on a CCW. If I had just one choice, it would be .357SIG with 45 a close second choice. That's just my own personal preference.

One of my CHP L.E. friends is a big .357SIG fan but unfortunately it's not CHP-issued.

The middle Glock, G32, is a great 357 SIG carry pistol. Easy to shoot, 13+1, and totally reliable. Other than a nice 1911, it is my daily carry. If you want a 45 ACP, the G36 isn't a bad choice either but to me, the 357 SIG is a great round.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    .357sig because in some of the new handguns you have the option of switching to the 40cal (such as the S&W M&P) this is nice because the .357sig ammo is hard to find (but not as hard as the 10mm.) You can practice shooting with the 40cal ammo... then carry with the .357sig (is the bullet ballistics what your looking at? because they are almost the same .357sig/40/10mm) different load types can do what other loads do in other calibers.

I have done alot of ballistics research and testing. I went with the 40cal for the test results.... but I now have the ability to switch to the .357sig whenever i want (not that i think i ever will, but time will tell) good luck... look up some stats and info it will help make up your mind.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I still like the 10MM. I don't think recoil is as bad as folks say. Muzzle flash and report is about the same with full house loads. I wonder how long it will be before watered down 357 SIG rounds become the standard. Lots of folks don't like full house powerful rounds. I am sure that you will always be able to find full power 357 SIG rounds, but would not be surpised if rounds loaded down to 9MM ballistic doesn't become the norm.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Senior Moderator
    The 10mm has the advantage of being probably the best semi auto handgun cartridge made.

The .357 has the advantage of being made in much smaller handguns that are more suitable for concealed carry than a 10mm, which by necessity are made in large full sized guns.

If someone made a KelTec sized 10mm, I but it in a heartbeat but right now all of the 10's are full sized handguns.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have always been a fan of the 10mm and I feel that both are fine cartridges. IMHO reloading is "better" with 10mm than 357sig. I will concede that a 357sig going down range sounds more psychologically intimidating.

I use a glock 31... 357 sig is my choice... 10mm never took off, 10mm tried to mimic the ballistics of the 41 magnum also a round that never really took off so I guess they succeeded... Haha

Well, if ammo availability is a concern, it seems you'll have an easier time with .357 sig than you will 10mm, at least as far as target/training rounds are concerned.

Although both can easily be found online, I'd prefer something I can run to walmart and grab a few boxes of when I start running low.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Both are great, but I'd go with 357Sig hands down.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Either one will get the job done. A 10mm has more power, can take on bigger jobs.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

If you're just looking for another caliber, go with 10mm. You already have 4 chamberings under 40 cal, and ballistically speaking, you don't have any gaping "holes" in your lineup... at least with respect to self defense. The .357 Sig adds nothing that your .357 Mag doesn't have, nor little more than what a 9mm +P+ offers. The 10mm gives you another 40-ish hole and a selection of heavier bullets for penetration. It's a good choice in an auto-pistol platform for outdoorsmen.

With defensive handguns in six calibers already, I find myself thinking along the lines of inventory... maintaining supplies of both practice and carry ammo in a bunch of different calibers can become a chore.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Me I carry a Glock 19 9mm

357 SIG and 10MM are pretty expensive to practice with.
    I have shot a bunch of 10mm and a fair amount of .357 SIG.

I just don't see any advantage to civilian CCW with either.
    If I was issued either and shot OPA (other peoples ammo) both are good calibers.

But for me I like a 9mm

Mike

Welcome to Talon Tactical!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    I believe it is easier to find self defense loads in 357Sig than in 10mm. I have also heard that many manufacturers do not load 10mm to full capacity. I carry a Full Size S&WM&P357Sig with Crimson Trace laser grip daily. I like the platform and also the performance of the 125gr Speer Gold Dot. It is really up to personal preference and what works best for the individual.
    this is true^^^ and the M&P is one of the BEST platforms
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links