Buffalo Bore +P .380 not for me

This is a discussion on Buffalo Bore +P .380 not for me within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TrackReady Just FYI, BB isn't being wreckless with there +p... Basically what they did is made sure the pressures were under the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Buffalo Bore +P .380 not for me

Quote Originally Posted by TrackReady View Post
    Just FYI, BB isn't being wreckless with there +p... Basically what they did is made sure the pressures were under the proof loadings of the 380 barrels. Since the barrels are tested to much higher pressures than regular loadings. They sort of "split the difference" between the pressures.
    Where did you get this information from?
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

2. Remove Ads

"Buffalo Bore loads their ammunition up to maximum SAAMI specifications, which delivers devastating performance on a wide range of game. Please note that this ammunition is not intended for older guns. It is made for modern firearms only, as some of the ammunition could damage older and weaker firearms. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases."

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I have no doubt they are a reputable company, but I am not sure I want to shoot anything that I don't know what the working pressure is, especially in .380, and most certainly not in a pistol that is blowback operated.
    And I agree with you really. Anyone that wants max performance will be "going too far" by someone's standards.

If the 380 is SAAMI spec at 21,500 PSI, and BB is 22,500 that's one thing. but if they are at 25,500, that might be something completely different. I just wish they would say how much + we are talking about.

A 38 jumps about 3,000 PSI for +P, and it looks like 9mm jumps about 2,500. I'd like to say I feel safe in the assumption that BB uses similar math to work up a 380+P, but it's nothing but conjecture.
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Quote Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
    I'd like to say I feel safe in the assumption that BB uses similar math to work up a 380+P, but it's nothing but conjecture.
    i say your safe.

they have a +P+ rating for their hot suff!

I use Corbon 90 gr. jhps in my Ruger LCP at about 950 fps, anything hotter than that makes me nervous. I do think that a Sig or Walther would handle the Buffalo Bore loads with aplomb.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by stoprilshoot View Post
    "Buffalo Bore loads their ammunition up to maximum SAAMI specifications, which delivers devastating performance on a wide range of game. Please note that this ammunition is not intended for older guns. It is made for modern firearms only, as some of the ammunition could damage older and weaker firearms. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases."

Stay focused on the fact, that there is no such thing as a SAAMI spec for 380+P. It is completely impossible to load anything to a spec that does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by stoprilshoot View Post
    i say your safe.

they have a +P+ rating for their hot suff!

In truth, I'm on the fence. I might have to try the hardcast load.

Buffalo Bore Carry .380 ammo

I often carry a Sig P232 with an alternating mix of BB HP and hardcast flat nose. Seems like a good combo for defense to me. I have shot a few rounds of each in practice. But, practice with other ammo.Found it to be accurate and the + definately feels more than regular ammo. I have a 40 cal Sig 239 when I can dress enough to cover .

Again - Ruger specifically says not to use over-pressure ammo in the LCP. If you want to try it in an all-steel gun, that's on you.

Rather than trying to make the .380 into something that it isn't, the simple solution to getting better penetration with a .380 is to use FMJ ammo.

On GoldenLoki, .380 FMJ out of the short P3at barrel got 16-17 inches of penetration. That betters the FBI standard of 12" minimum, with 15" desired.

FMJ has killed lots of folks. Are JHPs better? Yes, but not by much. The IWBA ran the numbers in the great 9mm vs .45 debate, and the larger caliber has only a 4-7% greater chance of nicking something vital (major artery, heart, spine, brain) that the smaller caliber just barely misses. The same should hold true for .380 FMJ vs a .380 expanded JHP.

And remember, an expanded JHP that does not penetrate to reach anything vital is no good to you.

And please do not start with energy transfer, hydrostatic shock, temporary wound cavities, or other such theories of terminal effects with handgun ammunition. High velocity rifle ammo - yes; handgun ammo - no.

It sounds boring, but it really is all about shot placement and penetration to the vitals. Expansion (or caliber) is nice, but not at the expense of getting good, fast hits that penetrate. Snappy ammo that kicks hard is not conducive to getting multiple good hits at speed.

In .380 I use FMJ, and I find I can control my LCP just fine and put the rounds where they need to go quickly enough. JMHO, YMMV.

Finally, .380 FMJ costs less than the exotic stuff, which allows for more practice and more skill.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's not meant to be range ammo! It's meant to be used in that (maybe) once-in-a-lifetime incident where you have to protect yourself, most likely at point-blank range.

So go out and blast away with some Blazer ammo. Then put the BB in the mag and put the gun in your pocket. Save the big blaster for that rainy day.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's not meant to be range ammo! It's meant to be used in that (maybe) once-in-a-lifetime incident where you have to protect yourself, most likely at point-blank range.

So go out and blast away with some Blazer ammo. Then put the BB in the mag and put the gun in your pocket. Save the big blaster for that rainy day.

I don't carry, or even own a .380, so I've got no dog in this fight...but, that seems like a very bad idea to me.

First off, I personally would want to run at bare minimum a couple boxes of a chosen carry load just to make certain my pistol likes it...and that's regardless of caliber. If it's punishing to shoot...odds are that little doubt will be niggling away at the back of your mind when that "rainy day" comes, and you could be darn well flinching for that first shot.

Second off, the OP said that the recoil is considerably higher; I would think this is going to have a negative effect on follow-up shots, both in speed and accuracy--and since in a smaller caliber pistol follow up shots are all that much more important...this would be, as they say, a Very Bad Thing.

Just my thoughts on it.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

+P 380

Sorry but if you read your owners info the P3at is the ONLY of the "mouse guns" that can use +P ammo and it says not to use only +P. thats why I got one, my Kel has about 200 B.B. +P rounds with no issue It is better to have the 9 round Mag eaiser to hold the recoil. Why is it that so many people use +P in guns that are not built for them and then complain??? You should be happy it didn't blow up your gun. READ and stay safe. I Wish the Ruger could use them I am a Ruger fan.

BB was the preferred SD round out of my Sig P238 which absorbed recoil very well for a .380

I use BB +P in my P3AT Kel BUT as a ruger fan I checked them out first and the only "mouse gun" I can find that say you can use +P in them is the P3AT. Be safe and check you owners manual before using +P in ANY gun Just a thought.
    My P3AT Loves them but with the longer Mag that gives a better hand hold for the extra recoil The 100 grain flat point is all I carry for CCW ammo.

Just look at the YouTube ballistic gel tests with Hornady FTX .380. Better penetration and expansion than the Gold Dots and I am a Gold Dot fan. The FTX is not designed to penetrate hard barriers and a lot of people make too much of that especially since the .380 round is not really a good barrier penetrator anyway. Perhaps with FMJ you would get some penetration but little energy left once it penetrated. The FTX are also very accurate compared to other ammo whenever I read the results of gun tests that use various brands of ammo. They recoil less than most other ammo too making follow up shots much easier. Plus they are readily available locally at good prices. Everyone wants GD's because they are used by many Police departments and have street cred but that does not mean other ammo is not as effective or that GD are equally good in all calibers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links