Recommend a good .25 ammo for backup? - Page 2

Recommend a good .25 ammo for backup?

This is a discussion on Recommend a good .25 ammo for backup? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gene Wilder (Talking to Clevon Little, getting his gun out to face "Mongo"): "No-no! Don't shoot him...That'll just make him mad..." ....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Recommend a good .25 ammo for backup?

Gene Wilder (Talking to Clevon Little, getting his gun out to face "Mongo"):

"No-no! Don't shoot him...That'll just make him mad..."

Hornady XTP is about as respectable as you can get. Hot and consistant expander.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by erh
    With all due respect; .25acp has come a LONG way since it's beginning.

I happen to like 9mm or .380acp back up guns, but also have & carry .32's & others... Just my .02 cents worth...

Eric
    .25 acp is still the same beast that it was 30 year's ago, is there even such a thing as a +P in that cal? You can take down a deer with a .22 mag (yah in a riffle) but try that with the .25 acp don't care what the barell legnth. Unless all you have is the .25 and all you are going to have is the .25 then go with the hottest round you can find. That said the second sentence it a much better option. Or get the knife, I wouldn't want to be relying on the .25 as a emergency plan B.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by erh
    With all due respect; .25acp has come a LONG way since it's beginning.
    Show me the percentage of one shot stops on the 25.

Bullet configurations have changed in 30 years. Powders have improved and the same for primers. Still, the ballistics on this rd have changed little.

The only load that is substantively different is the frangible family. Glaser, MagSafe, BeeSafe, or MAYBE the RBCD blended metal round.

There is a reason that there aren't very many loads for this caliber.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Recommend a good .25 ammo for backup?
    Shure thing , trade that little sucker for a 2nd gen p3at and upgrade LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    Show me the percentage of one shot stops on the 25.
    So tell us,....what caliber is your "single shot" CCW??
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Thumbs down Lawyers aren't born...they're excreted

Quote Originally Posted by los
    So tell us,....what caliber is your "single shot" CCW??
    I USED to have a single shot hideout piece in a 45ACP but the frickin' trigger was too hard to pull. Now I stay away from gimmicks like that and the notion that I can leave the lives of my family in the caliber of .25! Every gun I carry for such a purpose is in a caliber that starts with a "4"

BUT I was referring to the well documented testS done by Sanow, Marshall or Fackler that document case histories of various calibers used in defense and present the % of how many took 1,2,3, or more shots to stop the threat. They even have it broken down by bullet weight. IIRC the all time high is the 125gr SJHP in .357 magnum with a stop % in the high 90's. You can get a stack barrel derringer in a 357 from Bond Arms. You'll prolly break your hand firing the dang thing, but you know what? I'd trust my life to THAT critter 100% of the time before I'd trust my life to a 25.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; May 18th, 2006 at 02:29 PM.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

los
    Objection,..nonresponsive! Shot placement my Friend,....shot placement!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

erh
    Quote Originally Posted by los
    Objection,..nonresponsive! Shot placement my Friend,....shot placement!
    LOS - You & I would get along great..! We both do the Seecamp thing already, but I normally do either the LWS380 (I know - Bad subject.. ) or A "Rohr(ing) R9s Rohrbaugh. And last, but FAR from least your absolutely right; shot placement!
    (I'm afraid you forgot the final "Get the Hell outta there ASAP" part of this equasion though..!)
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Closed Account Array Steelhorse's Avatar
    A .25 acp? eh.

I have a thinner .32 polymer mouse gun from Keltec that I can consistantly and accurately hit pop cans from a distance of 30 feet, despite the inadequete sighting.

I bought a $10 Hume pocket holster that works very nicely. I also applied a clip to the side of the gun, so that I can conceal it easily by securing it inside my waitband or the velcro on my level 2A vest. The trigger is stiff enough so I dont have to worry about it.

When I first met my lady friend she was deathly frightened of all guns, in particular the noise they made. "I will never have one in the house," she would constantly say. She freaked out one day when I fired my .38 SPL on an outside range. But on the other hand, she had been assaulted once in the past, an attempted rape/mugging in a corridor of her own apartment building in NYC. I knew she was open to reason so I began to talk to her.

I bought her a Beretta model 21-A .25 as her own personal carry gun. I choose the .25 over the .22 simply because of the better feeding reliability. She loves it now, it's her wee baby. Now she doesn't even object to my S&W model 66 under my pillow, just inches from her sleeping head. She has become accustomed to them all you see. And she has learned to call the 21-A her "nose gun" and this reminds her where to shove it that first time she has to squeeze off. I loaded it with Glasers but I am a little concerned about feeding reliability so may change her over to FMJ.

I'd feel a lot better too with that little piece rather than nothing, I'd sure never knock it - or any other gun.
    Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. - Lazarus Long

there is no good .25 auto for a backup............... get a .380 or even a .22 have seen a .25 not even go thru a jacket !

VIP Member
    Get a .22 instead

My first BUG / pocket gun was a .25 Beretta Bobcat. I really liked that little gun, and it was the most accurate point-shooter I've ever fired. But eventually I did upgrade to the .32 Keltec.

When I had the .25 and I got into a conversation like this, I did always have one point which would make people step back and think for a moment.

There is one advantage to a .25 backup gun. It STAYS a backup gun.

With larger-caliber BUG's, if it's warm outside, or you're just going to the store around the corner, etc., it's a lot more tempting to grab the nice, small, light, comfy pocket gun and leave your bulkier primary piece at home. A .25 BUG makes this temptation far less powerful.
    "Terrorists don't seem to be too afraid of stern language. But I do notice, that while the fear of death does not seem to deter these people, the fact of BEING dead does significantly decrease their operational effectiveness. "
    - Bill Whittle

Quote Originally Posted by cls12vg30 View Post
    My first BUG / pocket gun was a .25 Beretta Bobcat. I really liked that little gun, and it was the most accurate point-shooter I've ever fired. But eventually I did upgrade to the .32 Keltec.

When I had the .25 and I got into a conversation like this, I did always have one point which would make people step back and think for a moment.

There is one advantage to a .25 backup gun. It STAYS a backup gun.

With larger-caliber BUG's, if it's warm outside, or you're just going to the store around the corner, etc., it's a lot more tempting to grab the nice, small, light, comfy pocket gun and leave your bulkier primary piece at home. A .25 BUG makes this temptation far less powerful.
    Haha, never thought of it that way. Great point!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links