Recommend a good .25 ammo for backup?

This is a discussion on Recommend a good .25 ammo for backup? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to keep a .25 auto as a backup to primary carry and as a temporarily 'small' carry. I used the search on .25, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Recommend a good .25 ammo for backup?

Recommend a good .25 ammo for backup?

I'm looking to keep a .25 auto as a backup to primary carry and as a temporarily 'small' carry. I used the search on .25, but didn't come up with too much that was useful.

Can anyone recommend a good .25 ammo for a Beretta 950 Jetfire or Bobcat .25?

Thanks in advance...
    "I've got a mind like a steel trap... things wander in, and get mangled."
    -Fabbrica d'Armi P. Beretta, dal 1526

2. Remove Ads

.45 hydra shocks

Serious, a .25 is more usless than a .22 short, as a BUG if I were ever to be shot I would pick a .25 auto at 30' and if I were to wear my heavy winter coat it would not break the skin. True story, somone shot at my friends house, at his bedroom, the round broke his window, but bounced off a small ceramic bottle with out doing any dammage to it. BUG's are up to the individual, but I would advise that you reconsider your seliction, .380, or one of the mag cal derringers, even the American Arms 5 shot .22 mag, something other than a .25 auto and you do want to protect life here, not the BG's but your's
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Administrator
    Hi
    Please allow me to do a Copy & Paste of this since I am about all typed out for today.

Stress carry whatever FEEDS perfectly as your first/main priority.

The best .25 load is the Hornady 35-gr. XTP-HP round.
    If it jams, use any Federal, Remington, or Winchester 50 grain ball round.
    Winchester has an odd 45 gr. "Expanding Point" round that should be OK if it is reliable in your gun (it seems to work fine in Beretta 950 pistols), but don't expect any improvement in performance over the 50 grain ball rounds.
    The excellent Walther TPH .25 should be loaded with ball.

The Hornady 35 grain JHP should be considered only if it is 100% reliable in your pistol - fire 200 rounds through your gun to see.
    Also consider the MagSafe 22 grain "Defender" and Glaser 40 grain Safety Slug.

I hope that info helps.

Assistant Administrator
    I too would not extoll the .25 virtues - because I see few! However you have the gun so - QK's suggestion will be useful.

I would also add the possibility of an NAA Mini in 22 mag - that is my last ditch BUG and would I feel do as well or better than a .25.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

This is just a temporary backup, as I'm thinking of a Kahr for my mousepistol.

Save your .25 ammo money and buy the Kahr.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J
    Serious, a .25 is more usless than a .22 short, as a BUG if I were ever to be shot I would pick a .25 auto at 30' and if I were to wear my heavy winter coat it would not break the skin.
    I agree. But a .25 slug to the neck, face or head will be a whole lot better than nothing.

If you don't think so, try to find a volunteer for a test.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

A .25 ACP in hand is better than two .45’s back home or under the car seat. Got my first Jetfire in 1979, I carried the Beretta 950 Jetfire as a BUG and as primary during UC work when I did a tour of duty in the Florida Keys. Do not let anyone talk you out of carrying this gun. Yes I known most will make fun of the .25. But I do not see any one volunteering to get shot by one. I carried Winchester Super-X 25 Auto 45gr EP in the gun until I made my high end reloads. The expanding point ammo will open a large hole in ½ plywood, must be the BB in the hollow point section of the bullet. I have seen what a .25 can do to a person and with the right ammo you cannot do better. Remember the Beretta 950 Jetfire will be in your pocket when the larger guns are giving you problems.
    Would I carry this gun as primary? Yes I have and lived to talk about it.

frankmako
    sunnysal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by los
    I agree. But a .25 slug to the neck, face or head will be a whole lot better than nothing.

If you don't think so, try to find a volunteer for a test.
    Wear a turtle neck or a good hat, and it would only give you a head ache, a quality pellet gun has better penetration.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako
    A .25 ACP in hand is better than two .45ís back home or under the car seat.
    if you can have a .25 in your hand, why couldnt you have something that will break a coke bottle at 50 feet?

true story, i dont remember the make of the weapon or the ammunition we were firing but when i was little (maybe 8 years old or so) my dad was given a .25 by his brother and we took it out to shoot it. we set up the old $0.05 deposit coke bottles to shoot and the .25 was knocking them over but not breaking them. i had better luck breaking them with my pump up pellet rifle.

ive reached the conclusion that a .25 is effective against mental barriers (most people dont want to get shot by anything) but if a BG doesnt care, a .25 is a very poor choice. a g26 really isnt that much bigger than a typical pocket .25, and holds 10 rounds of 9mm+P. even 2 rounds of .357 magnum in a derringer would be a good last resort choice.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    With respect........would never ever reccommend to anybody to carry a .25 Auto for SD. Even as a BUG. Would(if forced to do so)rather carry a small .22LR auto with 6 or 7 shots. This, IMO only. -------

Hey Hey Hey! 007 carried a Beretta .25 until it jammed on a job and Major Boothroyd had "M" issue the Walther PPK with an impact like a "brick thru plate glass...the American CIA swear by them...."

Look you want to shoot somebody with that dinky little round and THEN have to stand there all day and argue with him? In this situation a good knife in the hand (almost anything by CRKT) beats the 25 for backup. You could hand somebody their vital internal organs with a nice sharp blade before they'd drop from a 25. You just gotta go into the "2's" go .22WMR!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Maybe my Strider SnG would be more persuasive...

erh
    With all due respect; .25acp has come a LONG way since it's beginning. Folks talking about "I'd rather take a hit from a .25 @ however many paces, than I would with something else"; flat don't know what they're talking about... Getting shot sucks..! Big round OR little! I submit that a well placed shot from a Sheridan 5mm pellet rifle could D_mn sure completely ruin your day at the very least..!
    We are talking a small center fire pistol cartridge as opposed to a rimfire; they are more reliable "Feeder's", and can at least give you the time to pop a few, and get the Hell oughta Dodge..! I suggest Winchester "XP" JHP - 45 grains.
    However, having "Blabbed On" this much, I too would ultimately "Upgrade" to a slightly more adventageous center fire pistol & cartrige; I happen to like 9mm or .380acp back up guns, but also have & carry .32's & others... Just my .02 cents worth...

Eric
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Administrator

erh

That was the reason that I've always heard about why a person should opt for a .25 over a .22 lr.

Actually 2 reasons...the .25 being rimless fed more reliably in small format semi~autos and that having any center fire cartridge as VS a rim fire cartridge would offer more reliable detonation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links