What is good in .38

What is good in .38

This is a discussion on What is good in .38 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having bought my first wheel gun, what is good in .38 rounds? I ended up picking up a box of 129grain Federal Hydroshocks that are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

What is good in .38

Having bought my first wheel gun, what is good in .38 rounds? I ended up picking up a box of 129grain Federal Hydroshocks that are plus p, they were about all the shop had. Any other weights I should look at? Brands?
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

For self defense use the +P 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter hollow points are hard to beat. They shoot to point of aim in most revolvers and offer effective performance.

What kind of .38 Special did you come up with?

A Smith and Wesson Model 638 Bodyguard.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I like using remington golden saber rounds in all my defense guns just b/c of the bang for the buck and they are tried and true and reliable in everything i own. having said that i wish they had a 158 gr version in 357 instead of the 125 gr being the heaviest

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I have one of these

Model 36, no dash and not rated for +P ammo.
    Super Vels are hard to come by these days, so I use Federal Nyclad 125 gr.
    From all the ballistic tests I've found on .38 ammo they seem to have the best penetration and expansion from a short barrel.
    My second choice would be Cor Bon DPX 110 gr.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Ok, someone educate me, what is a semi-wadcutter?

Rugergirl, never heard of that ammo. This is my first wheelgun, in the past I have had 9mm, .380 and .25 in the handgun caliber.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Ok, someone educate me, what is a semi-wadcutter?

Rugergirl, never heard of that ammo. This is my first wheelgun, in the past I have had 9mm, .380 and .25 in the handgun caliber.
    Super Vels were the hottest thing on the market in .38 Special back in the 70's. When I finally got Dad to cut loose and seel me the gun he gave me all the ammo and holsters he had for it. It sure would be nice to find 50 rounds of good defense ammo for $7.65 per box
    Not sure on the semi-wadcutters, but back in the 70's a lot of guys would reload ammo with the wadcutter tip put in backward hoping the dished surface would work like a hollow point. It failed miserably and the bullets tumbled badly. I haven't heard of anybody loading them that way in years.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Here's an example of a semi-wadcutter at left. It is home cast. The factory +P 158 grain SWC bullets generally have hollow points. I did buy a box of Remington +P 158 grain SWC ammunition without hollow points a while back.

Center bullet is a Sierra 170 grain full metal jacket round nose. Right bullet is a Remington 200 grain lead round nose.

Any good 158 grain bullet. Semi wadcutters are hard to beat. At sub-nosed velocities, even premium designer bullets cannot be expected to expand in real world situations. However, all the advice You have been given so far is great advice. Pick one and practice, because a snubby demands practice.

Buffalo Bore Ammunition
    Heavy .38 Special +P Ammo - 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P. --G.C.
    (1000fps/M.E. 351 ft.lbs.) - 20 Round Box. $26.66.

Buffalo Bore Ammunition | Strictly Big Bore - Strictly Business

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    Buffalo Bore Ammunition
    Heavy .38 Special +P Ammo - 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P. --G.C.
    (1000fps/M.E. 351 ft.lbs.) - 20 Round Box. $26.66.

Buffalo Bore Ammunition | Strictly Big Bore - Strictly Business
    What lenght barrel are those muzzle velocities based on?

Rugergirl, it's disheartening to think that I could be old enough to be your dad. I bought Super Vel back in the 1970s for about that price. Thought my supply was all long gone but ran onto a couple of boxes when we moved a couple of years ago.

The stuff is definitely high performance. It clocked 1237 fps from my favorite 4-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10. This would yield 376 ft. lbs. of energy at the muzzle. That's better than the Winchester +P+ "Treasury" load which chronographed 1100 fps from the same revolver. It also compares favorably to most standard velocity 9mm 115 grain loads I've tested which clock 1050-1100 fps from a 4-inch barrel.

It really wasn't so hot in the expansion department though, being uneven in its performance. Ballistic non-tests such as firing into both wet and dry phone books, gallon milk cartons full of water, and earth didn't seem to indicate consistently dramatic expansion. I used a round of the Super Vel to finish off a downed buck deer that was spine shot. From point blank range the bullet centered his heart but then ranged far down his left front leg stopping at the knee joint. It hadn't expanded at all. I remember it as being the first year I was on that particular deer lease so it would have been 1980. That was the state of expanding pistol bullets then and they weren't so hot. The performance bullets are said to be better these days but I've not tested them.

I like the weight offered by the 158 grain lead SWC +P load over the lighter jacketed bullets. The .38 Special handles such bullets with ease and effectiveness so I leave the lighter weight bullets for rounds like .380 and 9mm. One isn't going to gain a lot of velocity from a snub by shooting light weight bullets as opposed to good ol' 158s.

I have got my sights on a new model 67 s&w, and am looking for load data that is in between the old 38-44 heavy duty, and our current +p loadings. I do not understand how s&w can approve the model 60 j-frame for full house 357 mags but limit te 67 to +p special loadings, after making a 357 magnum which was the model 66 and 19 on the same frame. Anyone want to tackle this one?

Lots of very valuable data. I do need to get out and practice, this is not the cheapest to shoot, so it wont be as often as I would like, but I will get out there. I guess I bit the bullet, no pun intended when I got the 129grain, should have looked for bigger at another store.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

VIP Member
    Then if you have a snubnose revolver, you will want to use something like Gold Dot personal protection, short barrel, .38spl.+p 135 grain GDHP

^^^^^^^^USE THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

This is what has been proven to be some of the best ,if not the best

You will never begin in the fight you have planned for. You will begin in the fight the other guy has planned for.
    Move in a manner that leads him into your fight should he press his attack.
    Mathew Courtney
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links