New PM9 and +P Ammo

This is a discussion on New PM9 and +P Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I researched carry guns and selected the PM9 which should arrive in a few days so I'm now into the ammunition. Reading just about everything ...

Thread: New PM9 and +P Ammo

New PM9 and +P Ammo

I researched carry guns and selected the PM9 which should arrive in a few days so I'm now into the ammunition. Reading just about everything I can, I am strongly leaning toward Speer Gold Dot 124 grain. I saw the short barrel version which comes only in +P and checked it out finding the following:
    -------
    Speer® LE Gold Dot® Short Barrel Duty Ammunition

Packing a short barrel once meant less velocity and less reliable expansion. Speer has created an entire category of specialized ammunition designed specifically for back-up guns. Gold Dot Short Barrel was introduced in 2004 and designed from the ground up to work in 2-inch barrels. We redesigned select Gold Dot bullets to make the cavity larger for reliable expansion at the reduced velocities common to short barrel handguns. You also get less "kick" to keep you on target when wielding sharp snapping .357 and .44 Magnum revolvers. And if a semi-auto is your gun of choice, our offerings are ideal for expansion in barrels as short as three inches. Available in 9mm +P, 38 Special +P, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, 44 Magnum and 45 Auto.
    -----------

This gets me wanting the SB version but can my PM9 handle it? The Manual I downloaded doesn't say anything beyond only shoot what the gun states. I wouldn't shoot it for practice except for 1 or 2 rounds each trip.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Call the manufacturer if possible
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Kahr pistols are rated for +P. There should be nothing to worry about.

Kahr Arms / Q & A

I use that exact round in my PM9 for carry. It's very accurate and the recoil is not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Kahr pistols are rated for +P. There should be nothing to worry about.

Kahr Arms / Q & A

I use that exact round in my PM9 for carry. It's very accurate and the recoil is not bad at all.
    Well now, this is embarrassing! I know I looked at the Q&A before but thought it was about warranty stuff. Obviously, I NO I looked at it instead of know. What makes it really bad is I was a computer geek who used to tell others to RTFM!

Thanks for your answer and I now know what defensive ammo to use. Is there a favorite ammo for break-in shooting? Maybe in 250/500 round bulk?

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Well now, this is embarrassing! I know I looked at the Q&A before but thought it was about warranty stuff. Obviously, I NO I looked at it instead of know. What makes it really bad is I was a computer geek who used to tell others to RTFM!
    - LOL. If Kahr put it in their manual, it would be even easier. :)

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Thanks for your answer and I now know what defensive ammo to use. Is there a favorite ammo for break-in shooting? Maybe in 250/500 round bulk?
    - I used what was cheapest at the time at my local range, which was Speer Lawman FMJ ($12.00 per 50). Not a single issue during the break-in period. My only advice would be to thoroughly clean the PM9 and lube it when you get it. I also racked the slide about 100 times to help with the break-in process.

My PM-45 did well with Double Tap, and that's as hot as any of it gets...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

mine shot well

I think (hopeful anyway) that I am on my way. I ordered 500 rds 9mm Federal American Eagle 124gr. FMJ Ammo from Ammunition To Go today. I tried for the Gold Dot SB 124's also but couldn't find them in stock. I'll at least have ball ammo to shoot and carry until the good stuff is available.

I want to thank everybody on the Forum for being so helpful with all my nube questions. I still have a ton but am moving into the tactical application now - practicing SA and fretting over what would-I-do self questions.

As does everybody else, I hope for the best (never need it) but am planning for the worst. Luckily, my son got halfway through the Police Academy before a back injury forced him to withdraw. We have a range date as soon as my gun arrives and we are already talking about scenarios.

Administrator
    I use the gold dots in my PM9, and have been for several years. No problem.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links