Wolf ammo?

This is a discussion on Wolf ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never liked Wolf ammo, because of the above stated reasons. I keep an eye out for online sales of good ammo @ prices that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolf ammo?

I never liked Wolf ammo, because of the above stated reasons. I keep an eye out for online sales of good ammo @ prices that are as good as Wolf .

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    It's not a "sticky plastic residue"; it's a hard polymer coating that enhances feeding and AFAIK, that is only a problem with .223 when people try to do machine-gun imitations and don't bother to clean their gun's chamber.

In normal use, this is not a problem.
    Cleaning is the key. Thanks for saying that.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

some ranges (like the one i'm a member of) don't allow wolf ammo becuase the bullets have a steel core, as apposed to lead. if a magnet sticks to the bullet, my range will not allow it.

the reason being is steel core ammo wears out the backstop armor a lot quicker.

Are you sure the bullets are steel? The only thing steel on the Wolf I fired last month was the cases. The bullets appeared copper jacketed Lead just like almost all other ammo.

I would guess that there are two reasons the range doesn't like it. Steel cases instead of Brass and Wolf ammo is typically pretty dirty.

Most ranges prefer brass cases because they sell the brass and steel cases cut into that profit.

Wolf ammo is considered dirty ammo. This means more lead and powder into the air inside a range that their filtration system has to handle. Steel case ammo is typically dirtier to start with because steel cases don't expand as much as brass to seal the chamber when fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    Are you sure the bullets are steel? The only thing steel on the Wolf I fired last month was the cases. The bullets appeared copper jacketed Lead just like almost all other ammo.

I would guess that there are two reasons the range doesn't like it. Steel cases instead of Brass and Wolf ammo is typically pretty dirty.

Most ranges prefer brass cases because they sell the brass and steel cases cut into that profit.

Wolf ammo is considered dirty ammo. This means more lead and powder into the air inside a range that their filtration system has to handle. Steel case ammo is typically dirtier to start with because steel cases don't expand as much as brass to seal the chamber when fired.
    take a wolf round put a magnet up to the bullet. they have a steel core, so the magnet will be attracted.

as a comparison put a magnet up to any other american made ammo, and the magnet won't stick.

most of the ranges in my area do this test to see if you can shoot the ammo you brought.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    take a wolf round put a magnet up to the bullet. they have a steel core, so the magnet will be attracted.

as a comparison put a magnet up to any other american made ammo, and the magnet won't stick.

most of the ranges in my area do this test to see if you can shoot the ammo you brought.
    The next time I run across some I will have to check. I knew that some of the Wolf Rifle Cartridges have bi-metal jackets (lead bullet, soft metal jacket, thin copper coat over that jacket), but was not aware of the pistol rounds being that way.

With the price of .45 ACP and the very limited availability of it around here, you have to shot whatever is available. I went about 200 rounds of Wolf a few weeks back and aside from more cleaning required afterwards, the ammo preformed as expected of any .45 round. What's available varies from day to day. In the last couple months I've run Rem UMC, WWB, Wolf, Federal, Magtech, PMC and CCI. Last weekend we fired 150 rounds through my Kimber .45, 100 of them were Rem UMC and 50 were WWB. This weekend we didn't go shooting, but picked up 100rds of PMC Bronze. It's a matter of getting what's available. On some weekends, you can't find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    The next time I run across some I will have to check. I knew that some of the Wolf Rifle Cartridges have bi-metal jackets (lead bullet, soft metal jacket, thin copper coat over that jacket), but was not aware of the pistol rounds being that way.

With the price of .45 ACP and the very limited availability of it around here, you have to shot whatever is available. I went about 200 rounds of Wolf a few weeks back and aside from more cleaning required afterwards, the ammo preformed as expected of any .45 round. What's available varies from day to day. In the last couple months I've run Rem UMC, WWB, Wolf, Federal, Magtech, PMC and CCI. Last weekend we fired 150 rounds through my Kimber .45, 100 of them were Rem UMC and 50 were WWB. This weekend we didn't go shooting, but picked up 100rds of PMC Bronze. It's a matter of getting what's available. On some weekends, you can't find anything.

actually i just came back form the range, and they found an empty box of wolf and empty steel shells on the floor. they weren't too happy about that. when they're busy sometimes they forget to check people's ammo.

No, they don't. If you don't believe me, pull a bullet and take a hacksaw to it.

The Military Classic and Wolf Performance (same ammo, different box) have what's called a "bimetal jacket"--which is a mild steel jacket and a thin coating of gilding metal over that. The core is plain old lead.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    No, they don't. If you don't believe me, pull a bullet and take a hacksaw to it.

The Military Classic and Wolf Performance (same ammo, different box) have what's called a "bimetal jacket"--which is a mild steel jacket and a thin coating of gilding metal over that. The core is plain old lead.
    splitting critical hairs, aren't we, my friend?

wolf is one type of ammo where the magnet is attracted to the bullet. the steel, whether at the core or surrounding it, does wear out the backstop armor quicker. that's why most of my local ranges don't allow it.

i'll provide the website to the range i go to, if you want to call and verify all this....

splitting critical hairs, aren't we, my friend?

wolf is one type of ammo where the magnet is attracted to the bullet. the steel, whether at the core or surrounding it, does wear out the backstop armor quicker. that's why most of my local ranges don't allow it.

i'll provide the website to the range i go to, if you want to call and verify all this....
    Not splitting hairs at all, pal.

A steel cored round is designed to be a penetrator; see the infamous 7.62x39 steelcore or M855/SS109 5.56 ammo for an example.

The thin, mild steel jacket is not that much harder than the heavy copper alloy jackets some bullets (Blazer TMJ for example) use. Wolf just uses them because that's how the Russkis have pretty much always done it. In reality, I doubt it's really all that much more damaging to the backstop.

I have no doubt whatsoever that your range bans them; a lot of ranges do. It doesn't necessarily mean there reasons are based on fact...could very easily be "That's steel-core ammo, that's armor piercing, and it'll hurt our backstop!" when, in actuality, it isn't.

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Not splitting hairs at all, pal.

A steel cored round is designed to be a penetrator; see the infamous 7.62x39 steelcore or M855/SS109 5.56 ammo for an example.

The thin, mild steel jacket is not that much harder than the heavy copper alloy jackets some bullets (Blazer TMJ for example) use. Wolf just uses them because that's how the Russkis have pretty much always done it. In reality, I doubt it's really all that much more damaging to the backstop.

I have no doubt whatsoever that your range bans them; a lot of ranges do. It doesn't necessarily mean there reasons are based on fact...could very easily be "That's steel-core ammo, that's armor piercing, and it'll hurt our backstop!" when, in actuality, it isn't.

the range owner (a good friend of mine), has told me he used to allow wolf and other steel ammo when he first opened, but he had to replace the backstops too often--they don't shatter like standard ammo does against the backstop armor. it certainly is based on fact, my friend.

now ranges in my area that utilize "layered backstop pads" instead of armor, will let you shoot anything except armor piercing, as bullets simply penetrate into this material and stop.

the range owner (a good friend of mine), has told me he used to allow wolf and other steel ammo when he first opened, but he had to replace the backstops too often--they don't shatter like standard ammo does against the backstop armor. it certainly is based on fact, my friend.

now ranges in my area that utilize "layered backstop pads" instead of armor, will let you shoot anything except armor piercing, as bullets simply penetrate into this material and stop.
    Well, I'd be interested in knowing how he knew, for certain, it was Wolf (did he only allow Wolf in certain lanes and compare wear patterns?); but it's his range, he makes the rules.

Well, I'd be interested in knowing how he knew, for certain, it was Wolf (did he only allow Wolf in certain lanes and compare wear patterns?); but it's his range, he makes the rules.

ask the range owners in your area that you mentioned don't allow this ammo....

it's simple, really. they find more deformed wolf rounds, rather than shattered standard ammo at the backstop. plus, like i mentioned, the backstops last much longer after they banned wolf (especially the wolf rifle ammo).

here's what wolf looks like cut in half (7.62x39):

you can see the outer steel core surrounding the inner lead core.

like i said, it does more damage to backstop armor because steel is a harder metal than copper or brass. wolf doesn't shatter against the backstop armor like regular ammo, it deforms and causes more damage. this is why many ranges won't allow it.

We had one dipstick decided to shoot tracers at the indoor range,he was booted out and we had to stop shooting while they distinguished the fire he started in the backstop material.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links