Wolf ammo?

This is a discussion on Wolf ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why do some ranges not allow Wolf ammo?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolf ammo?

Wolf ammo?

Why do some ranges not allow Wolf ammo?

2. Remove Ads

what I've heard is that it's a pain to separatethe brass & steel cases .

the ranges use/sell the brass for reloading

Although I now only go to one private range (which has no problem with steel casings), I've never encountered a problem at other ranges here in FL...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Why do some ranges not allow Wolf ammo?
    It is made in Russia, shoots dirty...I would run away from the stuff.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Long, long thread on this elsewhere...the response from someone who worked at a range is that it's dirty, doesn't combust cleanly, and leaves unspent powder downrange that occasionally bursts into flame.

Sounded good to me.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by drjavelina View Post
    Yes, it's Russian made and it's dirty ammo - but it's comparatively cheap and is a reasonable decent plinking ammo.

Some ranges claim to ban the rifle ammo because of the "bi-metal" bullets. These are a copper-jacketed mild steel bullet and ranges claim it damages their backstops. That may or may not be accurate. Pistol bullets are ordinary copper-jacketed lead and will no more damage a backstop than any US-made round.

IMHO, the real reason is messing with the steel cases when they sell the used cases to scrap metal dealers or used case dealers. In my opinion this is a non-issue because every scrap dealer I have dealt with runs everything over magnets to separate out steel from other materials.

Personally, if you get a good deal on the ammo, and it functions well in your particular gun, go for it. I just picked up 1K of .223 for $215 and 1K of .308 for $340, the latter is a stock item on Cabela's web site. If you live near a Cablea's, you can have almost anything in their catalog shipped to the store and you pay no shipping.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Long, long thread on this elsewhere...the response from someone who worked at a range is that it's dirty, doesn't combust cleanly, and leaves unspent powder downrange that occasionally bursts into flame.

Sounded good to me.
    This may be true, although I have my doubts. If it does happen, I question the maintenance procedures at that range. They must never clean downrange from the firing points. I worked at a range years ago in Texas in exchange for range time and we swept downrange of the firing points at the end of every day.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drjavelina View Post
    that^^^ and they coat the outsides with a sticky plastic residue that when it gets warm it is said to come off and stick on the inside of your guns and it is hard to get off ....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

The reason the range doesn't allow it is because Wolf ammo has steel cases, and it monkeys up their brass-scrapper's ability to weigh and pay for the range empties. From a user perspective, the Wolf steel-cased ammo is fine, and the soft steel cases can be reloaded just like brass. And, you can pick them up off the floor with a shop-magnet-on-a-handle without bending over...

Quote Originally Posted by pollardjd View Post
    The reason the range doesn't allow it is because Wolf ammo has steel cases, and it monkeys up their brass-scrapper's ability to weigh and pay for the range empties. From a user perspective, the Wolf steel-cased ammo is fine, and the soft steel cases can be reloaded just like brass. And, you can pick them up off the floor with a shop-magnet-on-a-handle without bending over...
    I thought wolf ammo was berdan primed,which means I can't punch the primer out
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Pistol I dont know about, rifle that is true. That said I know of some folks drilling out the berdan primers to use shotshell primers with reasonable success.

Not something I recommend or do personally mind you. I only run boxer primed brass through my guns so I can reload easily and by the rules

Quote Originally Posted by pollardjd View Post
    And you have actually done this????

The stuff is Berdan primed and (1) it requires a totally different decapping setup and (2) Berdan primers are nearly impossible to get in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    that^^^ and they coat the outsides with a sticky plastic residue that when it gets warm it is said to come off and stick on the inside of your guns and it is hard to get off ....
    It's not a "sticky plastic residue"; it's a hard polymer coating that enhances feeding and AFAIK, that is only a problem with .223 when people try to do machine-gun imitations and don't bother to clean their gun's chamber.

In normal use, this is not a problem.

Wolf ammo is boxer primed, and perfectly reloadable (I'm referring to Wolf .45 ACP; can't vouch for any other Wolf cartridge). Just look in a spent case and you'll see one hole in the center. I've reloaded thousands of rounds of Wolf .45 ACP steel cases on a Dillon Square Deal and its carbide sizer. I actually prefer it to brass, in one way. The steel case seems to hold its sizing better during bullet seating that brass cases, which tend to bulge and become mis-shapen more than the steel cases. Drop a reloaded steel case in a cartridge gauge and you'll see that it goes in and out easier, and has not re-expanded as much during seating and crimping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links