WWB +P 125 Grain JHP 38 Special?

This is a discussion on WWB +P 125 Grain JHP 38 Special? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in Wal Mart today and they had boxes of 50 WWB +P 125 Grain JHP 38 Special for 20 bucks. Does anyone know ...

Thread: WWB +P 125 Grain JHP 38 Special?

WWB +P 125 Grain JHP 38 Special?

I was in Wal Mart today and they had boxes of 50 WWB +P 125 Grain JHP 38 Special for 20 bucks. Does anyone know of any comparison or gelatin testing for this load?

I realize it may not be the best choice for SD but was wondering how well it would perform in a pinch.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sabre03 View Post
    I was in Wal Mart today and they had boxes of 50 WWB +P 125 Grain JHP 38 Special for 20 bucks. Does anyone know of any comparison or gelatin testing for this load?

I realize it may not be the best choice for SD but was wondering how well it would perform in a pinch.
    It will do just fine.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    Shoot some, if it is accurate in your gun go for it.
    125's have never been accurate for me, but, it is probably a gun issue.

In the .38 Special and the velocity ranges in which it operates I never saw where less is more when it came to bullet weight nor is there a crying need for jacketed bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    In the .38 Special and the velocity ranges in which it operates I never saw where less is more when it came to bullet weight nor is there a crying need for jacketed bullets.
    Oh, I agree, but the question was:

"but was wondering how well it would perform in a pinch."

Would I prefer a good 158 gr SWC? Yes, but if that was all I could get my hands on, I'd shoot it with no qualms whatsoever.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

They shoot about 2.5 inches low in my 640-1. I will try to get my hands on some Remington +P 158 Grain LSWCHP or GD 135 Grain short barrel and see how they shoot, but they are pretty hard to find.

I shot some 357 Mag 158 Grain hard cast SWC handloads through it and they impact at POA, but they were pretty brutal.

Anyone have a hand load that replicates the 38 Special +P 158 Grain LSWCHP? Thought I would roll some up for practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Oh, I agree, but the question was:

"but was wondering how well it would perform in a pinch."

Would I prefer a good 158 gr SWC? Yes, but if that was all I could get my hands on, I'd shoot it with no qualms whatsoever.
    Hey, I do good work. I only read the title before responding.

Sorry.

"Anyone have a hand load that replicates the 38 Special +P 158 Grain LSWCHP? Thought I would roll some up for practice."

The old time maximum charge weight for Unique does a pretty good job of mimicking +P 158 grain performance. It has never given a minute's problem in my revolvers. It's found in the Lyman 46th manual among others.

Here's the 5.4 grains of Unique/158 grain load tested in a series of Smith & Wesson .38 Special revolvers with different barrel lengths.

847 fps/251 ft/lbs.: Smith & Wesson Chief's Special 2-inch
    935 fps/306 ft/lbs.: Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel 4-inch
    952 fps/317 ft/lbs.: Smith & Wesson Military & Police 5-inch
    1021 fps/365 ft/lbs.: Smith & Wesson Military & Police 6-inch
    1007 fps/355 ft/lbs.: Smith & Wesson Model 14 8 3/8

Obviously each firearm is a law unto itself with regards to load development. This load is now considered excessive in any loading manual I know of but was once considered reasonable.

It's curious how the longest barreled revolver turned in a lower velocity than the next longest. In this instance the powder charge is most efficient in the 6-inch barrel rather than the longer 8 3/8-inch barrel. Slower burning powders favor this particular Model 14 with 8 3/8-inch barrel. Occasionally though one will just have a "slow" barrel. I once had a long 8 3/8-inch Smith & Wesson Model 27 .357 Magnum that shot all loads slower than a 6-inch Model 27 that I still have.

Super load info thanks, I have a few pounds of Unigue and will give it a try.

Links