Finally I found some 9mm defense ammo!

This is a discussion on Finally I found some 9mm defense ammo! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For about 2 weeks I have been in the market for some Hollowpoint defense ammo and I finally bought some. I purchased some Winchester Ranger ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally I found some 9mm defense ammo!

Finally I found some 9mm defense ammo!

For about 2 weeks I have been in the market for some Hollowpoint defense ammo and I finally bought some.

I purchased some Winchester Ranger Bonded 147gr RA9B. I couldn't find them on Winchester's website except for it on the ballistic comparison page. I have read that they are the same as Supreme Elite PDX1 (except they come in a box of 50 not 20 and marked law enforcememnt). Although I wanted something in 124gr, I think these are supposed to be pretty good.

The other available options were
    Federal Hydra-shok124gr and 147 gr (50 count)
    Fiocchi Extrema XTP 147gr (50 count)
    Speer Gold Dots 115gr (20 count)
    Cor Bon DXP (20 count and expensive)
    Remington Golden Saber 124 +p and 147 (25 count)

Any opinions on my choice?

Also doesn't walmart sell some winchester hollow points? Are they the same as what I purchased?

I know the DXP are popular but I wanted 50 count boxes. I also didn't want a +p unless it was Gold Dots 124 +p.

2. Remove Ads

I think they would all hurt if you shot me. I was happy to find some 50 count 124 Grain Gold Dots at a gun show a few months back and picked up 2 boxes for $50, but would be just as happy with your purchase.

They shoot well from my Kahr and are in my front door gun.

I agree......PD ammo is a good find no matter what these days. I've always gone for the Speer GDHPs 124+P in the past, and had quite a supply of them. Now when I want some more, I can't find them. Yeah...the 50ct boxes for under highway robbery prices. So I did run across some Federal HST 124gr+P at this past weekend's gun show here in the 50ct boxes and was at least happy with that for the price. I used to be more particular with a given PD load that my pistols liked, and that I liked as well. IMO...the Remington Golden Sabers I use pretty exclusively in my 45acp, but I do think they are an all around good choice. I've known several LEOs that carry them as their personal choice, whatever their reasoning. Wal Marts in my area have been stocking plenty of PD ammo, but it's mostly been the Winchester stuff. I'm not real sure what to think of it, and I have a few boxes spanning my calibers that I haven't even tested yet. But those do come in 50ct boxes and again.....they are reasonably priced, just like Wal Mart's range ammo if and when they have that. All in all, I guess we'll just have to adapt tot he changes brought before us....sort of forget the current hype in PD ammo, or even those with a long lived reputation. After years of relying on PD ammo that's worked and served me well for carry, I've even tossed around the idea of getting some Power Ball. I don't buy much ammo over the internet.......it's pretty much got to be tangible and in front of me. I don't buy just anything, but when it comes to supplementing my stock, I seem to know when it's a good time to get it, and when the price isn't above average, and I save on what it would cost with shipping. I'm not saying if you can't find what you want, then buy what you find exactly.....it's just that you may need to make some exceptions. I know I have, and I do have a limit as to what I'm willing to pay. If it's overpriced, then I'll just do without IMO.

a Couple of my guns don't like the 147 gr at all, don't know why, but to keep it easy... I just don't buy 147 gr and stick to the 124gr.

i am currently carrying DoubleTap 124 grain Gold Dot +P.........i just ordered some Remington Golden Saber 124 grain +P bonded from ammunition to go.com

gonna test the golden sabers out this weekend........

Does anyone think I should have purchased the Federal Hydra-shok124gr or Gold Sabers 124 +p instead? I might be able to call ammunitiontogo tomorrow and see if they can switch it.

It seems that some feel 147gr bullets may overpenetrate

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    Does anyone think I should have purchased the Federal Hydra-shok124gr or Gold Sabers 124 +p instead? I might be able to call ammunitiontogo tomorrow and see if they can switch it.

It seems that some feel 147gr bullets may overpenetrate
    not at all.....you got a good load, especially if it is bonded.......everyone has their favorites, mine being the 124 +P, i just like the way it shoots....but nothing wrong with 147, i carried that for a while and would carry it again

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    i am currently carrying DoubleTap 124 grain Gold Dot +P.........i just ordered some Remington Golden Saber 124 grain +P bonded from ammunition to go.com

gonna test the golden sabers out this weekend........
    Very good choice I use bonded 124+p on my glock 19 and non bonded 180 grain on my glock 23. You can't go wrong they tear up what ever they enter.
    One more step and it's on!

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    My choices of 9MM HP for carry are the Win Ranger T 147gr, and the Fed HST 147gr.

I think you made an excellent choice.

Regards,
    Jerry

kpw
    I'm not a fan of 147s but it's a good bullet. Just make sure it shoots close to POA.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

From what I can find, the ballistics are the best on the Gold Dot 124gr +P and the Winchester 147gr. Both seem like they'll expand nicely too.

I agree with Ram Rod: the 50 round Gold Dot 124gr +P have been impossible to find lately. Maybe Speer is trying to limit their supply to sell more of the 20 count boxes?

In any case, any modern hollowpoint that has some ballistics data behind it is fine, but just make sure to practice with it and get enough to load up 3-4 carry magazines.

9MM

winchester ranger t 127 +p+
    winchester ranger t 147

Remington Golden Sabre 124 gr +p for my GLOCK 19.

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Love the Golden Saber - 147gr Bonded for me. But the Ranger you bought is a great choice as well. GO HEAVY and stick with 147.
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

Quote Originally Posted by cranesrule View Post
    Love the Golden Saber - 147gr Bonded for me. But the Ranger you bought is a great choice as well. GO HEAVY and stick with 147.
    I know some people really get into all the ballistic testing and have to have the best ammo they can get. Just give me something that doesn't jam and is accurate.

Having only shot Federal 115 gr FMJ from Walmart, I was surprised that the 147 gr Rangers felt noticeably different. They seemed to not flip the front end of the barrel up as much but produced a bit more backward recoil. So it did have more recoil but felt easier to hold and shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links