Kind of new to .45

Kind of new to .45

This is a discussion on Kind of new to .45 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, Not really. I'm new to CARRYING a .45. My bedside gun is a Colt 1911 series 80 which I keep loaded with Speer gold ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kind of new to .45

Kind of new to .45

Well, Not really. I'm new to CARRYING a .45. My bedside gun is a Colt 1911 series 80 which I keep loaded with Speer gold dot 230 grain. my old carry piece was a S&W 908 which I loaded with 147 grain speer gold dots. Again, every thing worked fine. I just purchased a Taurus PT145 pro as a new carry piece and am a bit torn when it comes to ammo. being a light weight compact gun I expect a bit more recoil out of it then my 1911. Since shot placement is king and I belive that anything worth shooting once is worth shooting three times my prime concern when it comes to ammo is the accuracy of follow up shots.

From what I have heard 180g has less recoil then 230g. Seeing as this is a compact pistol less recoil sounds great in practice but what am I giving up in terms of performance going with the lighter bullet?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Congratulations on the new gun.

I don't think I would go any smaller than 200 gr bullets.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I'm a 230g fan. I target 185g just because of the cost difference
    Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended

Just make sure the 185s are good performers e.g. DPX.... Link below.

Cor-Bon DPX .45 ACP

Available here.

Ammunition To Go : 20rds - 45 ACP Corbon DPX 185gr. +P HP Ammo [DPX45185/20] - $32.49
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

I doubt that the dirtbag who receives two to the center of mass would be able to identify which one was 230gr...and which one was Speer GD 185gr. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I doubt that the dirtbag who receives two to the center of mass would be able to identify which one was 230gr...and which one was Speer GD 185gr. OMO
    This.

I too prefer 230 but have a couple of mags of 180 golden sabre because the shop happened to be out of 230 and its not a religious affiliation I have with 230.

As far as recoil - uhm - try it out!? You should be shooting some SD ammo through your carry piece anyway. My guess is though that the energy is roughly equivalent between the two - the 180 is going to go faster but with less mass. So recoil difference is *probably* negligible.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Ditto!

A miss with a 230 grn. isn't near as effective as a hit with a 185 grn. Anyone who thinks otherwise should shoot themselves in foot with each and then tell us which one was "ineffective." Try both at the range. Go with whichever shoots best in your gun.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Have you shot your 145 yet? Reason I ask is the slightly larger 24/7s recoil is really quite mild. It gets your attention, but its not at all hard to get back on target with full power 230s

Its going to cost you some money, but you really are going to have to shoot some of each type to find out if your gun has a preference between the two, and if you shoot the two any differently.

I would try to find some practice ammo that has the same type bullet shape as what you think you want to carry in the 185 thru 230 gr weight and shoot some to see if there is any noticable differnce in recoil or followup shots.

Then if you find you have a preference for one weight bullet, I would get some good proven SD in that weight and see if the gun will run it without problems. Then you should be good to go.

Good luck and enjoy your new carry piece
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

How is everyone's experience with the DPX ammo? I've been a fan of the 165gr. Federal Hydroshocks, but I'm mighty tempted to move to the Corbon DPX. Those bullets look darn impressive in expansion!

Thoughts ???
    Boomer Sooner!

Try the 185 Gold Dots, they are effective and shoot soft comparably.

VIP Member
    I also won't go under 200gr. I prefer the Speer GDHPs in 200+P

I have found this to be the "perfect" (used loosely) combination of size, speed, and energy. I have a friend who studies ammunition and ballistics, it is his life's work. He's been at it for over 40 years, he also carries the Speer GDHPs in 200+P.........I'm just sayin'
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

i have shot all types of ammo through my defender

magtech 230gr hardball
    golden saber 185 gr jhp
    winchester silvertips 185 gr
    corbon 160gr jhp
    speerdot 230gr jhp

and well the corbon felt recoil was less it was not much different from the other

the golden saber performers the best but the other are very close. the worst was the speer dot.

i have 3 mags and 1 has corbon and loaded in the gun second in the house main flooe loaded with golden saber and last one in vechile with winchester silvertips.

I tried some of the Hornady XTP 185 grainers and was surprised at how much difference there was in felt recoil, compared to the 230.

Like you said - shot placement is KING.
    Either round in the right spot is going to be effective. Either round in the "not so right" spot won't be a showstopper.

Shoot ammo that runs flawless in your gun and you can shoot accurately to hit the right spot.
    The rest is trivial.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links