Looking for dependable defense ammo

This is a discussion on Looking for dependable defense ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My question is what do you carry for defense ammo ? what are you betting your life on ? at the range with my 45 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for dependable defense ammo

Looking for dependable defense ammo

My question is what do you carry for defense ammo ? what are you betting your life on ? at the range with my 45 last weekend had FTF click with Speers and it got me thinking would have been bad news in Firefight and have been thinking of going to one critical defense ammo for all my carries but wanted to hear from you guys, what would you without a doubt bet your and your families life on? is there a brand you swear by?
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Speer.

ALL manufacturers will have a few "bad" rounds that get through QC. I trust Speer GDHPs with my life everyday .
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

My personal choice is 40 S&W 135gr Glaser PowR'Ball. They make a 45acp 165 gr.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

The big brand names appear to do well....but an easier solution would be to find out what the local LEOs are carrying...

Another thing to think about...how often do you rotate your ammo? I usually change out my carry ammo about every 6 months....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I like Federal products. HSTs when available.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Hi all
    I rotate out every 6 months as well which was why I was shooting my speer's as well and its not that I dont trust speer I reliize nothings perfect it just made me think is all if this had been the real deal id been in trouble.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    ....but an easier solution would be to find out what the local LEOs are carrying...
    I understand what you're saying here, but the caliber that LEO departments carry are a result of a bureaucratic or administrative decision, and probably decided by the bottom line/lowest bidder process. I doubt this reflects the officers' personal preferences.

To answer the OP's question, I carry Corbon DPX ... especially since I got a smokin' deal! 200 rounds for $200
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Nothing is 100% reliable.

I carry Corbon DPX in my 9mm and Corbon DPX or Speer Gold Dot in my .40 S&W. I practice "tap-rack", too.

Gold Dot
    nuf said
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

TomEGun, I'm a gold dot fan too.

One note of concern, you may want to have your gun checked for light strike on the firing pin. You may have encountered the first sign of a gun problem. You may not have much of a problem right now but not all problems are evident at first.

Quote Originally Posted by TomEgun View Post
    My question is what do you carry for defense ammo ? what are you betting your life on ? at the range with my 45 last weekend had FTF click with Speers and it got me thinking would have been bad news in Firefight and have been thinking of going to one critical defense ammo for all my carries but wanted to hear from you guys, what would you without a doubt bet your and your families life on? is there a brand you swear by?
    I shoot Gold Dot (Speer or Double Tap), or Winchester Ranger-T, because lab testing of those bullet designs against various materials and conditions indicated these were slightly more reliable and consistent than some other bullet designs. I've tested a number of brands, and my pistol eats them all reliably, so I'd go with Federal, Speer, Winchester, Double Tap, Corbon or Hornady, if necessary. All have good, solid offerings.

I understand your concern. An FTF-click would be disturbing. But how do you know it is the ammo and not the pistol? I think it is the combination of the pistol and ammo you need to be concerned about, and in that regard, going with a single brand of ammo for all your carry options doesn't necessarily make sense. In addition to bullet performance, you want to shoot what your handgun shoots best, which includes feeding and ejecting. If one of your pistols has a steep ramp, some bullet designs may not feed reliably in one pistol, but feed great in another. A friend of mine had a 1911 that choked on Golden Sabers but shot Hydroshocks all day long. Different pistols may need different ammo, and your sense of symmetry or simplicity in going with one brand might work against you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand View Post
    I understand what you're saying here, but the caliber that LEO departments carry are a result of a bureaucratic or administrative decision, and probably decided by the bottom line/lowest bidder process. I doubt this reflects the officers' personal preferences...
    An administrative decision, certainly, but not necessarily determined by the financial bottom line or lowest bidder, and not in a vacuum. Sometimes, more often than you might like to believe, decisions are based on performance and value, not lowest bid. Certainly, cost is a factor, but I know for a fact that, with regard to ammo, some LEA's put performance first, then cost. No decision made for the entire agency will reflect the officers' personal preferences.

You may find you don't agree with what your local LEA's are using for ammo, but it is, at least, worth considering. Truly bad weapon and ammo decisions usually get corrected as quickly as budgets allow.
    Last edited by Tom357; January 28th, 2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: stupid typos
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

It was in my SA1911 a1 had just put new springs in 18.5lbs ran box of ball no problems and ran the box of speers only had the on round to FTF and it had solid hit to primer kept it may post pic if needed but it did have solid primer strike .dont think it was 1911 just luck of the draw had bad round just got me thinking is all . box was bought 6 months ago and dont know about shelf time at dealer. and it pretty much eats all i put through it from Blazer to umc .
    NRA Member - GRNC Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Speer GS 230 grns.

Different LEO Depts are going to use different ammo. Can't really go by what a particular PD uses.

Every brand is going to have a misfire. It's gonna happen. A bad brand will have a lot. Never heard of Gold Dots having a real problem. Sounds like you found the one-in-a-million. Thanks, now I don't need to look for it.

I don't "rotate" ammo. The stuff lasts forever if you don't spray it with penetrating oil or wash it. They still use WWII ammo. I have reloads from 20 years ago that still fire every time. One misfire in my life--a bad primer, and a factory round at that. I don't know where this "ammo gets old" stuff comes from. Maybe after it's 10 years old it's time to get a new box, but every six months?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    TomEGun, I'm a gold dot fan too.

One note of concern, you may want to have your gun checked for light strike on the firing pin. You may have encountered the first sign of a gun problem. You may not have much of a problem right now but not all problems are evident at first.
    +1

If it is a light-strike problem, I'm betting that flushing out the firing pin channel with GunScrubber (from both directions) will take care of it.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't "rotate" ammo. The stuff lasts forever if you don't spray it with penetrating oil or wash it. They still use WWII ammo. I have reloads from 20 years ago that still fire every time. One misfire in my life--a bad primer, and a factory round at that. I don't know where this "ammo gets old" stuff comes from. Maybe after it's 10 years old it's time to get a new box, but every six months?
    You can put ammo in a bucket of water for a month and it will shoot just as well as it did dry. Proved this to my own satisfaction years ago.

Same deal with the penetrating oil; You would have to physically remove the bullet and fill the case with it - and then the majority of the time it will have little effect on the powder and primer.

I do agree that old ammo shoots just fine; I've got stuff I handloaded 25 years ago that's still good, as is some 40-year old factory ammo.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links