Defensive Carry banner

.357 mag Buffalo Bore

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Tubby45 
#1 ·
Looking for a back-up revolver to carry while hunting hogs with my muzzle-loader. I have a SP101 w/3 inch barrel.
Would a well placed .357 Buffalo Bore ammo stop a charging hog?
Or should I look for a .44 mag.

#2 ·
If I had a 357 Mag already and didn't want to buy a 44 Mag I would go with the 357. A well palced shot from the SP 101 should do the job.

#3 ·
It should be fine with those Buffalo Bore loads... I think a 3" SP-101 is probably one of the best 'woods' guns out there...

#4 ·
I've wondered about the SP101, and then decided the GP100 or Tracker would be better. But, we're both thinking along the same lines for the same reasons.

#8 ·
I carry a 4" Colt Python and have started carrying it with the 180 gr lead flat nose Buffalo Bore when out in the field. For anything short of a brown bear, I suspect this would do the trick. Look at the specs.

Technical Information
Muzzle Velocity: 1400 fps
Muzzle Energy: 783 ft. lbs.

That should do it.

#9 ·
I've killed bear with a lot less from the .357 Mag and the 180gr LFN. A good 15 BHN bullet I cast pushed at 1150fps from a 4 inch GP100 completely penetrated a 400lb black bear at 78 yards after taking out both shoulders. Bang-flop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.