New shooter on a budget

This is a discussion on New shooter on a budget within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll concur with the consensus; try as many as you can and decide what works best for you, especially if you are going to be ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New shooter on a budget

PJH
    I'll concur with the consensus; try as many as you can and decide what works best for you, especially if you are going to be limited to one handgun.

The 1911 is a great design, and contrary to what some people think, it's not unpleasant at all for a new shooter, IMO. On the range, at least. But I'd have to agree with Rocky: it's probably not the best choice for CCW until you have a good deal of practice/training.

Good luck and have fun!

-Paul

2. Remove Ads

Welcome! Choices, choices. .45 and 9mm are going to be cheapest, overall. You're on the right track: try a couple or three (4,5,6..... ) different weapons, in a couple or three calibers, and see what handles best.

I would shoot as many different guns as possible. Have fun with the selection process and then go get a Colt 1911 and be done with it!

For shooting a lot on a budget, consider 9mm.
    Glock if you like the feel, or Browning Hi-Power for single-action.
    Try 'em.
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, AMK, Leatherman, Condor, Maxpedition
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    If you're going semiauto, I would go with either 9 mm or 45 ACP.

If you want to do a lot of target shooting, I would go with 9mm, as it will be much cheaper than 45. Then, for defensive purposes, spend a little more and get Corbon 115 gr +P, or Federal Hydrashoks, also in +P loading. Of course, just about any premium round from a major manufacturer will give good performance.

For primarily defensive purposes, with low to minimal target shooting, then I would go with 45 ACP. While there are the 1911 guys, there are very good 45s in much cheaper form. I bought the Springfield Armory XD 45, for $509 a few weeks ago ( a good 1911 will usually run much more). It's a polymer frame pistol, and gives you 13+1 capacity.

To save money on ammo, consider buying in larger quantities. I buy a lot from Ammoman.com, and usally get good deals (he has a 5 box minimum on orders, but not only has decent pricing, but free shipping as well). I do usually shop around though, before any purchase.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum Drek....you got lots of great advice...but to emphasize some of it....go to a range that offers rental guns...great way to try a lot before you buy; seek professional help (to include NRA safety and their other courses) if possible so you get a good grasp and grounding of safety, marksmanship other other related disciplines and enjoy your time shooting! Lastly, impart your knowledge to others when possible.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    Don't listen to the bottom feeders!
    Think Smith or Colt revolver. Think 38 special/357.
    The best bargain in the shooting world is a police department trade-in Smith model 10 or similar.
    There is something about the walnut, and the blued steel (or stainless if necessary to the purpose) and the heft of the things that make semis, even 1911's, feel somehow flimsy. You cannot get a semi of even remotely the same quality and craftsmanship for the price.
    Okay- just my opinion.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Sorry to here your going to California, but I like your choice in the .45 1911. Oh and welcome from Idaho (formally from Cali)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Welcome to the forum. Wher in CA are you moving to? I live in the central valley and I have my CCW. I depends on what county you are in and that you can go to the sheriff. If you are in the city limits and have to go to the Chief of police you can pretty much forget it in CA. MOst times in Ca they want you to have a good reason for getting it too.

As for type of gun/caliber I think the folks that have answered you already know way more than I do and have given you some good advice. Just remember to go with what you can accurately shoot. Something with great stopping power that is too powerful to shoot straight will do you no good. My preference is .40 S&W but anything anything 9mm and above should do the job. Good luck.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Although I agree that you should go out and try shooting different types/calibers of guns, it will be difficult to tell what really works or doesn't work for you. You can pretty much avoid choosing a "bad" weapon by shooting different stuff, but until you decide on one gun and start putting several thousand rounds through it, it's hard to tell if it's going to be your perfect companion.

I started out shooting a Sig 220 in .45 ACP. It was deadly accurate and pretty much 100% reliable. It also felt quite ergonomic and was comfortable to shoot. After a few thousand rounds through it, a defensive pistol class, and a year of shooting IDPA/IPSC, I started noticing that the DA trigger was just a tad bit too long for me to reach. So I put on a short trigger. It helped but it just wasn't quite right. Then one day, a guy at the range said, "here, try this." He handed me his 1911 and in 6 shot I knocked down six plates. I was like, wow! So I sold my Sig and bought a Kimber. I couldn't be happier.

Bottom line is that sometimes it takes a little trial and error before you find one that you like. When you find that one, buy two!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links