Defensive Carry banner

Anybody tried Golden Saber Bonded 124+p?????

5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  MP9NewMexico 
#1 ·
i just bought a few boxes and will be trying them out in my Glock 19 next weekend......anybody use them????

thanks

Bruce

#2 · (Edited)
Yes I use them as my primary self defense rounds for off duty carry. They feed reliably and numerous test results show them to expand 98% of the time and leave a nice hole. Get em if you can.

Alot of guys from my job carry 124+p as we use the same weight and pressure for our on duty guns.

#6 ·
All of my carry ammo is Golden Saber.

Micro Eagle: GS 102gr .380
P239: GS 147gr 9mm
G30: GS 230gr .45

Great stuff.

#7 ·
well, i just tried the load on Saturday at the range......

VERY GOOD ROUND.....zero muzzle flash......whats kinda cools is when you touch one off there are "sparks" coming out of the barrel, kinda looks like tracer rounds...LOL

but very accurate and controllable round....its my carry round now

#9 ·
I just got a box of 50 of the Golden Saber 124 +P from Ammo To Go.
Will function test it this weekend and hopefully use it as my EDC ammo. I've used the 124 standard load in the past with satisfactory results so I expect this to be good stuff.
Keech

#10 ·
I have not tried it.

But, one awesome thing about the Golden Sabers, which HST, TAP/XTP, Gold Dot don't offer is complete waterproofing. Golden Sabers are sealed with a light coat of asphalt sealant where the cartridge rim meets the base of the bullet, and they apply a lacquer around the primer; Ranger T-series, Bonded, and PDX also have lacquer-sealed primers, but do not have sealed cartridge rims.

It's not really that big of a deal, as modern powder usually burns just fine if wet, and only causes about a 5% to 10% drop in muzzle velocity of the projectile, but still, I think it's cool. What if you're stuck outside for a prolonged period and can't get dry?

#11 ·
Properly assembled ammo is watertight. You can throw ammo in a bucket of water and leave it there for a couple of days and it will have zero effect upon modern ammo - whether the primers and bullet are sealed or not. Done it several time to convince the skeptics. Modern ammo simply isn't as fragile as the Internet myths make it out to be.

The only real use for sealants is for ammo stored for months (or years) under widely varying temperatures and humidities the average civilian will never encounter.

#12 ·
Seriously, Rik? I think I read in Guns and Ammo, that ammo soaked for 1 hour underwater lost some velocity and energy. I'll see if I can hunt it up, so you can read it. Maybe it's total bunk!

#16 · (Edited)
Well, that's probably true. The internet is flooded with morons, lol, and magazines have something to sell.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your experience (aside from soaking bullets, :p). Were you able to chrony the soaked bullets vs. dry bullets?

#17 ·
Yup, sure did. ZERO difference because no moisture of any kind got into the case. Modern ammo, especially factory ammo, is watertight. Unless one does something like putting rounds into boiling water for a couple of hours and then into cold water, there's no way for moisture to get into the case, and even then I doubt anything would happen. Simply getting ammo wet doesn't do it. I don't know who wrote that article and under what circumstances he did the testing, but I don't believe his results for a single minute.

I could see the first round shot in a wet barrel to be different than a dry barrel, but that's a whole 'nother deal.

#19 ·
Hah! Well, I guess that means the 'special waterproofing on our rounds' that these companies use, is simply a marketing ploy. Good to know!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.