How much SD ammo do you keep on hand?

How much SD ammo do you keep on hand?

This is a discussion on How much SD ammo do you keep on hand? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well the title really says it all. I am curious how much self defense ammo you all keep on hand. I buy my range FMJ ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: How much SD ammo do you keep on hand?

Question How much SD ammo do you keep on hand?

Well the title really says it all. I am curious how much self defense ammo you all keep on hand. I buy my range FMJ ammo 1000rds at a time, but with SD ammo being so expensive, and hoping to never fire it except every 6 months or so to rotate new ammo into mags I'm not sure how much to stock.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Just curious, what's the point in rotating ammo after 6 months? A few years, maybe I can see that for some sort of peace of mind.. But 6 months seem far too early. Am I off base here?

Anyways, I am just beginning to buy ammo. I have 500rnds of 180gr FMJ, and maybe 100 Hyrdashok. My next ammo purchase will be 1,000rnds of FMJ.
    NewportReds likes this.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Idk I'm sure it could last alot longer in the magazine, I just figure every 6 months or so putting those SD rounds down range cant hurt. I'm not like taking them out of the mag and discarding them, just firing off the full mag and replacing the ammo. not so much a necessity as a routine
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

I keep enough to fill my three clips for my Glock 21 .45 ACP.
    A couple of boxes (40 rounds) every six months is a good investment in protecting one's life, I'd say.
    And yes, I too have adopted my own personal "six month rule," where I do a complete field strip, inspection and cleaning; coupled with a full (self defense) ammo reload of new bullets.
    And like you, I don't discard them, just gives me a chance to shoot them through the Glock and gives me that personal peace of mind with new ammo.

I have now switched from Federal Hydroshock to CorBon DPX 160gr. bullets and those are about $30 for a box of 20 at Cabelas. I might be able to find them a bit cheaper, but the difficulty is finding them in stock!

I keep my gun 13 + 1 and ready if needed, with two other mags at full capacity (13 in each), so again; the 40 rounds every six months works out perfectly for me.

FMJ range ammo; I buy (in bulk) as needed when planning on just going out for some general target practice or tactical drills, which is also about every six months.
    That's all the budget (and spare time) will allow.
    shockwave likes this.
    Boomer Sooner!

I currently have 2500 rds of FMJ and 100 of Remmington Ranger Bonded HP. I put maybe 200 FMJ down range a month, but I try to stock up incase ammo prices jump again.
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

Glock 19 (off-duty)- 250 rds. Golden Saber 124+p bonded
    Glock 23 PA carry gun- 195 rds. Golden Saber 180 non- bonded
    S&W 36- 100 rds. Speer Gold Dots 125+p short barrel

Shotgun- 75 buckshot(00-9 Pellet) 50 slugs(1oz.)
    One more step and it's on!

I have talked 'til I'm blue in the face with my father..... he has 9mm black talons, that he has NEVER shot, in his 9mm Baretta (that he's NEVER shot,) and refuses to buy new ammo; let alone, shoot the gun.

His stubborn reasoning is that he wants the gun to retain its value by being "virgin" to being shot. Yeah, I know. (sigh) I've tried explaining that if that is his reasoning, just go out and buy a used gun for personal defense and shoot the damn thing at least once every six months. He refuses to do so.

He lives in KY, does not have his CPL, so he's limited in how he can carry. But nevertheless, he does carry it with him (locked away in his vehicle) and has it on the bedstand at night.

My father, age 71 now, is a prime example of "Yes, it's time to change the ammo, dad!" He's had the black talons in that gun for 9 years now !!!!! I'm sure they'd go "bang" if fired, but that's a long time for ammo to sit, in my opinion.
    Boomer Sooner!

VIP Member
    It is always a good idea to shot at least a little of your SD ammo once in a while. This way you remember how it shoots and your reaction to it. I try to work in one mag of my carry ammo at least once a month.

That being said I don't keep that much SD ammunition on hand - maybe 50-100 rnds each 9mm and .45acp. If I need a lot of ammo suddenly, I have plenty of FMJ to cover my needs.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    Well the title really says it all. I am curious how much self defense ammo you all keep on hand. I buy my range FMJ ammo 1000rds at a time, but with SD ammo being so expensive, and hoping to never fire it except every 6 months or so to rotate new ammo into mags I'm not sure how much to stock.
    Ammo will normally keep for quite a long time as long as it is kept dry. Keeping it in a magazine is another story. Some gun manufactures claim that magazine springs under tension are as strong or stronger than loose. The US Army recommends that you rotate, so I rotate.

I have two kids in the military. One is a Major the other is an experienced E8 Ranger. Both carry side arms and both recommend changing magazines frequently, at least where they are or have been deployed recently.

If you keep 1000 rounds or more, you probably need a safe that will help control humidity and possible corrosion. This of course depends somewhat on your climate but still a good practice.

I'm not big on self defense rounds. I don't want to flame anyone or get into an argument about what is best. If there is a need, I will not hesitate to shoot FMJ. Keep shooting until the threat is stopped.

This is true of all your guns as well. If you are not going to use them for an extended time, they need to be well lubricated (moth balled) to prevent possible corrosion.

Metal to metal corrosion can be devastating to guns and ammo over a very short periond of time.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I have 250 rounds of SD ammo in this safe (50 rounds per pistol). I get to the range twice monthly and fire 200 FMJ rounds per session and cap off with 25-30 rounds of SD ammo, replacing the box fired with a new purchase.

Not sure why I have this much SD ammo on hand, but it seems reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    If you keep 1000 rounds or more, you probably need a safe that will help control humidity and possible corrosion. This of course depends somewhat on your climate but still a good practice.

This is true of all your guns as well. If you are not going to use them for an extended time, they need to be well lubricated (moth balled) to prevent possible corrosion.
    Ammo is kept in ammo canisters w/ desiccant. My firearms get disassembled and cleaned/oiled every time they're fired or every 30 days (whichever comes first), so I'm not too worried about any sort of long term storage for them
    Lbox88 likes this.
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

I have about 300 rounds of SD stuff and about 1500 range rounds that are begging to be shot.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Depending on the caliber and number of pistols I have in that caliber, I probably have somewhere between 200 rounds and 800 rounds of SD ammo. I carry two 45 ACP's (not at the same time) and have 200 rounds of Hornady 230 gr +P TAP, 50 rounds of 230 gr Golden Saber, 100 rounds of 165 gr +P PowerBall, and a few assorted boxes of Winchester, Hydroshok, etc. For 357 SIG I have 500 rounds of Doubletap 125 gr, 100 rounds of Hornady 125 gr, 100 rounds of Corbon 115 gr, and a few assorted boxes of Gold Dot, Winchester, etc. For 9 mm I have 600 rounds of Federal 125 gr +P+ and a few assorted boxes of other Gold Dot, MagTech, etc. I easily have double the rounds of FMJ practice ammo for each caliber.

When I move up to rifles i get worse/better. In 5.56 I have 2,500 rounds of FMJ and 500 rounds of Hornady 75 gr TAP T2. In 308, for my AR10, I have 1,000 rounds of FMJ and 800 rounds of Hornady TAP, about half of which are 110 gr and the others 168 gr. As the wife says, lets hope the house never catches fire. Do I have too much ammo? Never! I usually pick up 50-200 rounds evertime I stop in at my local gun shop or weekend gun show. It won't go bad and I'll shoot it up someday, hopefully for fun instead of for real.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

I've got my carry clip loaded with Hornady CD, and two spare boxes. I don't have a ton of money to burn, so I don't rotate very often. I'll probably buy some Gold Dots or some other SD ammon in a few months when I have the cash. I've got 1000 rounds of UMC that I go through with target practice and what not.

I don't have as much time or money to shoot. I like to have some on hand for convenience, but don't feel a need to have a huge supply. Enough to defend my house, and go shooting with some buddies and not empty my supply.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I'm maybe a little less than you all. Perhaps 1000 rounds of FMJ for range time and maybe 150 or so SD rounds. In each caliber I carry.
    finst3r likes this.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links