Has anyone tried Federal's Low Recoil in .38 Special?

This is a discussion on Has anyone tried Federal's Low Recoil in .38 Special? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all, I am new to this forum and am really looking forward to the conversation and everyone's experience and insight. I have owned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Has anyone tried Federal's Low Recoil in .38 Special?

Has anyone tried Federal's Low Recoil in .38 Special?

First of all, I am new to this forum and am really looking forward to the conversation and everyone's experience and insight.

I have owned several handguns over the past several years and have settled on the S&W Model 640 in .357 magnum for my primary carry weapon, currently loaded with Gold Dot 135 grain in short barrel.

My wife recently purchased the S&W Model 642 Airweight chambered in .38 Special. Being a relatively new shooter and a little sensitive to the recoil, she has settled on Federal's Low Recoil in 110 grain JHP for defensive carry. We have heard some positive feedback on this round and it came highly recommended by some highly respected local law enforcement officers and gun shop owners.

Any feedback on this round is appreciated.
    Springfield Armory 1911-A1
    Beretta 92FS
    Smith & Wesson 640
    Smith & Wesson 627 Pro Series
    Smith & Wesson 629 Classic
    12 Gauge Remington Competition Master

2. Remove Ads

i thinks its a good round. i dont think its as low recoil as they might lead you to believe.

it will get the job done.

kpw
    Federal's 125gr. Nyclad seems to have a bit less recoil and it does expand in a 2" barrel. Not dramatically but better than many non +P rounds.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wheeler View Post
    My wife recently purchased the S&W Model 642 Airweight chambered in .38 Special. Being a relatively new shooter and a little sensitive to the recoil,
    A S&W 642 is NOT a beginners gun IMO, especially for someone recoil sensitive. I doubt if even the so-called "low recoil" stuff is going to help.

Might be time to check out a semi-auto in 9mm and not a blowback type either.
    Guest1 likes this.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

IMHO you should try wadcutters. Not too bad on the recoil dept. Some use them as carry ammo as well. Remember the 642 is S&W airweight J-frame so like others have said it is going to have more felt recoil than heavier pistols.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

I prefer the Hornady Critical defense 110 non +P. It expands and penetrates well.

I agree with Fred about the semi-wadcutters, at least for a general practice round. They are much less expensive and should be even lighter on the recoil side. For actual carry ammo, I think I'd look for something with a bit more punch than the Federal Low Recoil ammo. That ammo only makes 244 ft.lbs. of energy and the 110 gr. bullet will shed energy pretty quickly. I'd lean more toward the Hornady Critical Defense ammo in either standard pressure (337 ft.lbs.) or +P pressure (394 ft.lbs.) for actual carry ammo.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Thanks Hoss for posting some performance figures. I was wondering what it'd do. Does seem a little thin in the terminal ballistics department.

i try to stick with corbon DPX in the sub calibers. recoils seems about the same as the federal 110gr. hydro-shock.

Question Re: Anyone tried Federal's Hydra-Shok Low Recoil in .38 Special?

I should clarify one thing for ew3: I completely agree that the S&W 642 is not for beginners. We were fortunate enough to try a 642 at a local gun club prior to the purchase; my wife found in surprisingly easy on the recoil, despite putting some heavier loads down range. I guess she isn't as sensitive to recoil as I thought. :)

Thanks for the advice from everyone, although I'm curious:
    cvhoss - where did you find those figures? I did some research and found the following numbers, directing from the manufacturers websites.

All numbers are Energy in Foot Pounds:

Federal Hydra-Shok Low Recoil .38 special: 235
    Speer Gold Dot .38 special (+p): 248
    Hornady .38 special: 249
    Hornady .38 special (+p): 290

If the numbers that I found are inaccurate, feel free to let me know.

Thanks again to everyone - great feedback.

JW
    Springfield Armory 1911-A1
    Beretta 92FS
    Smith & Wesson 640
    Smith & Wesson 627 Pro Series
    Smith & Wesson 629 Classic
    12 Gauge Remington Competition Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Wheeler View Post
    cvhoss - where did you find those figures? I did some research and found the following numbers, directing from the manufacturers websites.

All numbers are Energy in Foot Pounds:

Federal Hydra-Shok Low Recoil .38 special: 235
    Speer Gold Dot .38 special (+p): 248
    Hornady .38 special: 249
    Hornady .38 special (+p): 290

If the numbers that I found are inaccurate, feel free to let me know.................
    I got the numbers from Midway's web site. They are about the only retailer that posts velocity/energy info for the ammo. I won't address the Federal ammo as there's not much difference but here's the links for the Hornady ammo:

Hornady Critical Defense Standard Pressure

Hornady Critical Defense +P Pressure

Click on either of these links and move your mouse to the "hover to enlarge" link by the photo. Look at the velocity numbers on the photo of the box and you'll see that they are the same as what Midways lists. While energy isn't listed on the box, energy is just a math calculation and the energy numbers Midway lists are accurate for that bullet weight at that velocity.

Here's a link to the same +P ammo on ATG and the box shows the same numbers as the Midway site. Why Hornady would have different numbers on their web site than they print on the boxes you'd have to ask them.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I have the Federal 110gr low recoils in my S&W Model 637 which I use for those times I need something very easily concealed or working in the yard. I can't really tell that much difference in the felt recoil compared to Winchester white box 125gr I normally use for range time. An Airweight snub is just going to be pretty harsh whatever you shoot. It is what it is.

VIP Member
    I use the Federal 110 and the Federal Nyclad exclusively in my airweight 637. Really, I can't tell the difference between these rounds and the "full power" rounds. Both are unpleasant so I limit my practice to 10 - 20 rounds per session.

As far as performance, I'd take the Nyclad over the Federal 110. The softer jacket in the Nyclad should expand better from a 2" snub.

John, perhaps you need an energy converter, that gives you lots of information, once you learn to read what it all means... which is not as simple as it seems.

ENERGY CALCULATOR

Feather weights and Airlights, will have much more recoil. My suggestion is to get one that's not a featherlight ... the ammo will be a little less, but not nearly as much difference as a non-featherlight will be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links