Short Barrel .45 Ballistics

This is a discussion on Short Barrel .45 Ballistics within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I promise this isn't meant to be another magic bullet post. I a not very familiar with much of anything when it comes to ballistics. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Barrel .45 Ballistics

Short Barrel .45 Ballistics

I promise this isn't meant to be another magic bullet post. I a not very familiar with much of anything when it comes to ballistics. From what I understand a bullet coming out of a shorter barrel generally has less velocity then a bullet coming out of a longer barrel. I also know that to some extent velocity is key for reliable expansion and penetration.

I'm guessing that the heavier the bullet the less velocity is produced. So that being said when it comes to the general weights of .45 (180,200,230) would it be advisable to use a slightly lighter bullet (200g) for shooting out of a 3.25 barrel or is the difference really neglible?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Personally, I don't think it makes that much difference. I like the 230gr loads in all my .45's... Short barrel or not, it's still makes a .45 size hole...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

This is all I carry in my Officer's Model and have been very, very impressed with how it shoots!

CORBON Compact Gun Load
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

check out brassfetcher.com for good info. they test jhp's out of a glock 30.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I asked someone from CorBon about this on warrortalk.com. This is his reply:

We have a standard pressure 160 gr DPX load that was developed specifically for shorter barreled 45 auto pistols. We shoot these side by side against the 185 gr +P DPX from a full sized gun (using a 3" barreled gun for the 160 gr load) and results in ballistic gelatin are darn near identical! The stretch cavity and penetration are indistinguishable between the 2 loads when tested like this.

PowRball would be good if you were worried about over penetration.

The 165 JHP would work also as long as the recoil/muzzle blast is workable for you from the short barrel.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Moderator
    Speer makes loads designed specifically for short barrels.

Here's the .45 ACP load: Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammunition 45 ACP 230 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Speer makes loads designed specifically for short barrels.
    That's why I chose the Spear SB for my DC. They use a quick burn powder to get more energy out of a short barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I asked someone from CorBon about this on warrortalk.com. This is his reply:

We have a standard pressure 160 gr DPX load that was developed specifically for shorter barreled 45 auto pistols.
    I posted a link to this round in my first reply on the details and review of this Corbon load.

Or click here;-----Corbon Compact Gun Load
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Penetration is more important than expansion, second only to shot placement. The 230s will typically dig in a little deeper.

With that, I've read that most of the 45ACP loads fail to expand, unless you get them up above 800fps. From a 3 inch pistol, that might be cutting it a little close.

I like Gold Dots. The Gold Dot SB has a nice wide mouth on it. If it will feed for you, I doubt you could do much better. The HST has excellent results, but nobody around here sells them. The Winchester Ranger is also a premium, and unavailable to me locally.

My load of choice is the Double Tap 230gr Gold Dot. It's a little hot for most folks taste, however...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

-It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Moderator
    I'd suggest that the folks with the best body of knowledge about how Speer Gold Dot rounds perform from different guns would be, well, Speer.

Plainly, Speer feels that the best load they offer for a short barrel is their Short Barrel load.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I'd suggest that the folks with the best body of knowledge about how Speer Gold Dot rounds perform from different guns would be, well, Speer.

Plainly, Speer feels that the best load they offer for a short barrel is their Short Barrel load.

Matt
    I would like to give the short barrel loads a try but have had zero luck locating them online :(

Same here but I decided I'll buy them locally. I just received 500 rds from on-line with a $16 shipping. Before that I got 50 rds with $13 shipping. I only plan to buy a small amount (40?) Gold Dots and figure the shipping will offset the local guy.

Matt
    Then again, it could just be marketing.

I'd like to see an article come out comparing several short barrel loads against more common regular loads.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I carry Speer GDSB 230s in my G30. Would I carry something else? Sure. Realistically, I think anything in a .45 will be effective, unless you're thinking of taking on Superman. Really. How many people can take a .45 target round and walk away? Very few, I bet.

So pick any good .45 ACP SD round that feeds well and feel confident with it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links