.380 90grain and 95grain

This is a discussion on .380 90grain and 95grain within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there a huge difference in .380 flat nose in the 90 grain and the 95 grain for self defense? Just wondering???...

Thread: .380 90grain and 95grain

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar

.380 90grain and 95grain

Is there a huge difference in .380 flat nose in the 90 grain and the 95 grain for self defense? Just wondering???
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

2. Remove Ads

all i can say is i think the flats work better than the rounds. go for the highest energy round you can get your hands on.

test them in your gun...

i prefer HP's for a couple reasons.

I like the 90 grain HP hydrashok. I used to carry 85 gr silvertips, but they are intentionally designed to penitrate only about 8", where the HS is 12".
    History: Silvertip is a ligter, faster bullet, which expands quickly and will not over penitrate and get someone behind the BG. They were made for court bailiffs and air marshalls, who may have to shoot a BG in a crowded setting. The hydrashok was designed to a govt spec to knock down the BG and help protect the officer from further harm. This required better penitration.
    The rule of thumb, where all else is equal, the heavier bullet penitrates futher.
    The idea is to expend all the energy in the target.
    Now, all that said, the best ammo is what works reliably in YOUR gun.

I wouldn't think there would be much difference however I would not use either.
    I personally have had flat nose .380 winchester bullets bounce off of the celotex/OSB target holders at our range. I've never had that happen with round nose or hollow points.
    Just food for thought.

The guys over at the kel-tec forum have done alot of testing on 380 ammo. I remember the flat nose acting pretty much the same as round nose.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Links