discussion at Walmart

This is a discussion on discussion at Walmart within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mikeprekopa I am fairly new to guns. didn't grow up around them, only really started getting interested in them about 2 years ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: discussion at Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa View Post
    I am fairly new to guns. didn't grow up around them, only really started getting interested in them about 2 years ago. one thing I thought you were supposed to do was keep the numbers the same. you know, if your pistol says 9x19, buy and shoot 9x19... rifle says 30.06, buy and shoot 30.06... I know there are a few exceptions, like .223 and 5.56... but I personally would not want to risk it...

I hope his girlfriend knows more about guns and ammo than he does. and that they don't try something stupid and hurt someone.
    Yup, you got it right.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Stupid people drive cars, use power tools and own guns as well. Some people you just can't reach.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Administrator
    The title says it all.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Stupid people drive cars, use power tools and own guns as well. Some people you just can't reach.
    Very well said...
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

It was on this forum somewhere, that a guy was at the range, and the guy next to him shooting a new M&P was having horrible problems with accuracy. All over the target, and having rounds keyhole. Turns out the guy went online, and was told to run at least 200 rounds of 9mm through it as a break in before trusting it. Well thats usually great advice,except he bought a 40 S&W M&P.

the brass was coming out split and misshappen, and the bullet bouncing down the barrel.

In shotguns it can be even worse. Saw a shotgun after the fact, guy had a 12 and a 20, and somehow a 20 round got in his 12. Slid down the barrel when hit with the firing pin. He racked it again, fired, and split the barrel.

At Cabela's one time a guy was asking me if he could shoot 357 magnum in his 357 sig... "Um, no"

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    OK, I admit I am not an expert, but I did know enough to tell them to find out, don't just try whatever ammo you think might fit.
    Out of curiousity, how do the ballistics of the .303 british compare to the .308?
    No clue but being curious I looked it up.

CLICK HERE for results.

I used same projectile type and weight for comparison as head up apples to apples.
    .308 Win is all around better.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    OK, I am running into Walmart to pick up a few things. The wife is waiting in the car so I don't want to be there to long. I do make my usual detour to the ammo case to see what theu have.
    One box of 38 Special. Not really looking to buy today so I am about to turn and leave when a guy ask me "Sir, can I ask you a question about ammo?"
    He's in his early 20's I guess. With his wife/girlfriend.
    So he ask me, "Can I use .308 caliber in a British .303 rifle?"
    I tell him I really don't think so, but I can't say for sure. I also mention that the .303 is probably a much harder caliber to find.
    He explains that they are buying a "Mint" WWII British .303 for his girlfriend. He goes on about what great shape it is, and a great deal at $200.
    I tell him he needs to do some research concerning the caliber to see what it will shoot. I also tell him to look online for the correct ammo.

He seems like he really wants to purchase today. He said they were at a gun shop already but the ammo was much more expensive there.

I told him yes, it is, but at least they had the right ammo. I suggested another sporting goods store he could try to see if they had the .303 in stock.

Then I left, I hope he didn't try to make the .308 ammo work.
    Come on now! What did you expect to find at Wal Mart working for minimum wages a rocket scientist or ballistic engineer. Welcome to America! The land of the undereducated thanks to the best politicians money can buy.

Love your country but never ever trust your government!

no chamber, no worky, go crazy thinking about people these days! wears me out!

I was cleaning up the fired brass at the local range last week.
    I picked up a .40 S&W case that had obviously been fired in a .45 ACP pistol.

I was thinking someone had made a mistake. Then I found 4 more .40 S&W cases showing the same thing.
    My thoughts went from being a mistake to carelessness to just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I was cleaning up the fired brass at the local range last week.
    I picked up a .40 S&W case that had obviously been fired in a .45 ACP pistol.

I was thinking someone had made a mistake. Then I found 4 more .40 S&W cases showing the same thing.
    My thoughts went from being a mistake to carelessness to just dumb.
    What makes you think they were shot in a .45? That is virtually impossibility.

A .40S&W round will slide all the way through the chamber and out the barrel (with room to spare) of a .45 ACP without stopping. Even if it did hang on the edge of the chamber and actually be fired (very doubtful), it's likely the case would rupture and blow the magazine out of the gun, as well as injure the shooter's hand. It's highly unlikely the shooter and gun would be in any condition to fire a second round.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    What makes you think they were shot in a .45? That is virtually impossibility.

A .40S&W round will slide all the way through the chamber and out the barrel (with room to spare) of a .45 ACP without stopping. Even if it did hang on the edge of the chamber and actually be fired (very doubtful), it's likely the case would rupture and blow the magazine out of the gun, as well as injure the shooter's hand. It's highly unlikely the shooter and gun would be in any condition to fire a second round.
    The case was a reversed bottle neck. The upper part of the case was blown out. One case had split. I put a 45 Cal Bullet in the expanded case and it fit. I also measured the expanded case mouth and it is the same size as my fired 45 ACP cases.

It may have been fired in a .45 ACP Revolver I don't know. If you have a better explanation I am open to suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    The case was a reversed bottle neck. The upper part of the case was blown out. One case had split. I put a 45 Cal Bullet in the expanded case and it fit. I also measured the expanded case mouth and it is the same size as my fired 45 ACP cases.
    I would still be doubtful, personally. As I said, a .40S&W round slides very freely though both the chamber and the barrel of a .45. There's absolutely nothing to hold the round in position to be struck by the firing pin.

It may have been fired in a .45 ACP Revolver I don't know. If you have a better explanation I am open to suggestions.
    That's the only possibility that comes to mind, although we are back to the same problem - what holds the case centered in the charge holes of the cylinder? It would have to be some jury-rigged half or full moon clip, and even then I am doubtful.

I will admit it is a mystery and only a certified fool would try it. If you find that fool, ask him how he did it and let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9mm View Post
    Come on now! What did you expect to find at Wal Mart working for minimum wages a rocket scientist or ballistic engineer. Welcome to America! The land of the undereducated thanks to the best politicians money can buy...........
    Not that I disagree, but I don't believe the person in the OP was a Wal Mart employee but rather another customer
    He's in his early 20's I guess. With his wife/girlfriend.
    who was trying to learn something.

I would hope that, regardless of several of the stories related in this thread, most of us are more tolerant in helping out new shooters than the reactions here would tend to indicate. I try to be very tolerant and supportive of someone just getting into shooting. I'm less tolerant of someone already into shooting who is now wanting to jump into something like reloading without being willing to take the steps to learn how to do it safely. But someone totally new to firearms and shooting has to start somewhere and I usually try my best to make sure that they find it enjoyable and not try and embarrass them out of the sport.

And let's face it, calibers can be confusing. My friend who does a lot of his shooting at a public range close to his house recently observed an individual shooting his new Hi Point 9mm. My friend asked the guy how he was doing and he complained that he was having difficulty with feeding and extraction. My friend went over to see if he could help and discovered that the guy had fired about a hundred rounds of Prvi Partizan 380 ACP ammo out of his 9mm. Why? Take a look at the Prvi Partizan box and what does it say right under 380 Auto? 9mm Short!!

And caliber confusion isn't something new. Take a look at the old BP cartridges.
    44-40 A 44 cal. bullet over 40 grains of black powder
    32-20 A 32 cal. bullet over 20 grains of black powder
    45-70 A 45 cal. bullet over 70 grains of black powder
    And then along comes the 38-40. A 38 cal. bullet over 40 grains of black powder, right? Wrong. It's a 40 cal. bullet over 38 grains of black powder.

The only thing I ask of those of us who have some knowledge of firearms is that when you run into someone new to firearms is to try and help them without making them feel 2" tall for being so stupid. The more people we can bring safely into the shooting sports, the better off we'll be. And remember, everyone has to start somewhere.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Shucks, Hoss, I was hoping you had some insight on the topic Beans and I have been having on .40S&W rounds being fired in a .45 ACP pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Shucks, Hoss, I was hoping you had some insight on the topic Beans and I have been having on .40S&W rounds being fired in a .45 ACP pistol.
    It never ceases to amaze me what will actually fire in what. My friend that I referenced in my post above actually did that not too long ago. He had inadvertently put a 40 S&W into a box of 45s. The round fired but the case sure wasn't pretty. Even though the extractor held the round against the breech face, I would have thought that being smaller in diameter plus the 40 having a small primer that it would have been too far off-center for a firing pin hit. Guess not.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links