Finished Brass Shape Question

Finished Brass Shape Question

This is a discussion on Finished Brass Shape Question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Brace... here is another noob question. After the round goes through the bullet seating die (before the factory crimp) It has this hour glass shape ...

Thread: Finished Brass Shape Question

Question Finished Brass Shape Question

Brace... here is another noob question.

After the round goes through the bullet seating die (before the factory crimp) It has this hour glass shape on the case at the end where the FMJ bullet stops. I suspect this is normal but one side of the case has more of this hour glass shape than the opposite side. Like the case is almost perfectly straight on one side and has this ridge on the other. Do you think I need more bell on the case? I haven't shaved any lead off or crumpled any casings seating the bullets and all three bolts on top of the turret are tight.

Am I just scrutinizing and nit picking to much or should I be looking for a solution?

You are fine. Just tension on case from bullet. The case stretches where it wants to.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Who's dies are you using? Dillon dies have a "waist" if you will. After the case is resized and then a new bullet is introduced it does change the appearance by stretching the brass ever so slightly. If the current bell accepts the new bullet I'd leave it alone. Make sure the OAL is good. It looks fine to me.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

It's normal and poses no problem. Look at factory ammo; you'll likely see the same thing.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Hes using Lee dies
    The "Factory Crimp" is a dead give away

That said, I use the same ones, and get the same results. The reason for the hourglass shape, is you resize, expand the mouth (powder through expander) insert the bullet, then post size/crimp. Its between the expanding the mouth/expanding, and the postsize/crimp that its created

gives you a little hourglass, but not enough to cause any issues that I have seen.

Wouldn't recognize that...only Dillon equipment here. Learn something new everyday.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I think that's pretty common. As long as the round chambers okay, it shouldn't cause a problem.
    Expand the rim only enough to get the bullet base started. Anything more is weakening the brass.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The hour glass was not much of a concern in its self. It was the hour glass only on one side. Sort of like the bullet was not seating straight enough on the seating die. I would be more comfortable if the hour glass shape was more symmetrical. On another forum I was told the Lee factory crimp makes that a non issue as it straightens out any seating imperfections.

Hey Munch the Dillon stuff would be nice for sure... maybe when the funds loosen up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    The hour glass was not much of a concern in its self. It was the hour glass only on one side. Sort of like the bullet was not seating straight enough on the seating die. I would be more comfortable if the hour glass shape was more symmetrical. On another forum I was told the Lee factory crimp makes that a non issue as it straightens out any seating imperfections.

Hey Munch the Dillon stuff would be nice for sure... maybe when the funds loosen up a bit.
    The lee crimp die does fix most of that without an issue. Thats why his finished bullet as pictured doesnt have said hourglass shape.

End of it is, dont worry about it assuming the fire fine

It's fine. Some combinations of brass lot and sizing die will size the brass too much. (Not enough to be a problem, just more than is needed.) The bullet then stretches the case mouth when seated.

The other combination happens as well. A light (thin) walled lot of brass and a 'loose' sizing die can leave one with bullets that slide in and out of the case. That sir, is a pain in the - ah - loading die.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

another thing you might want to try is Evolution Gun Works (EGW) full length sizing die.

You will still get a slight hour glass in the case, but it will be the same size at the top and bottom ( before the rim ) of the case.

For example, I use one for my para 40cal. race gun. It has a match grade barrel and if the bottom of the case is even 10 thousandths over .425 the case will get stuck in the barrel. the full length die keeps the case between .420 and .425 with an average of .4225.

Since using the EGW full length die, I have never had a stuck case
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Sponsored Links