Cor-Bon 165 +P VS Win. PDX1

This is a discussion on Cor-Bon 165 +P VS Win. PDX1 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did anyone see the article in Shooters Illustrated comparing these two rounds? Being someone that has always used the lumbering slow 230gr bullet I was ...

Thread: Cor-Bon 165 +P VS Win. PDX1

Cor-Bon 165 +P VS Win. PDX1

Did anyone see the article in Shooters Illustrated comparing these two rounds? Being someone that has always used the lumbering slow 230gr bullet I was very intrigued by the authors findings!He founf the Cor-Bon 165 gr +p penetrated slightly less then the PDX1 but the wound cavity of the Cor-Bon was almost 2" in width with shards of core and jacket material evenly dispersed in a radius around the outside of the cavity,this is what potentially causes increased wounding ability,like the Glaser PowR'Ball but much more pronounced!I printed out the test results for everyone interested:

BW VEL EN PEN OG-PEN RD RW RECOIL ACC
    CB
    165 165 1264 585 5.0 9.09 .68 78 7.4 1.85

W
    PDX1 230 888 403 6.22 11.31 .72 .72 6.8 1.43

Has anyone seen this type of excellent expansion with this round? I know if I had a short barrel .45 I'd definetely would be switching for the vel. increase you lose on your barrel.I was wondering if it's worth going to on a 5" barrel?

2. Remove Ads

PDX1 is the civilian version of Ranger T-series. In basically every test of every kind that you can find online, you'll see that Federal HST and Ranger T-Series CONSISTENTLY outperform all others.

That doesn't mean the others aren't worth carrying, but I'm stocked up on Ranger and HST, so I'm sticking with that. my advice to anyone would be to find yourself one of these two rounds and carry them. If you want bonded, go for Federal Tactical or Gold Dot. 230 grain for me.

Cor-Bon makes a great round, but I don't care for the light weight, high speed ammo. I like the .45 because it's a heavy slow round, if I wanted fast and light, I'd go with .40 and get the extra capacity along with it.

Also, it snaps harder and my shot recovery suffers. So, and this is just the way I see it, I'm not giving up MY faster shot recover for a bullet that doesn't perform as well anyway!

As for the barrels, if it's 4" or 5" I'll always use 230 at standard pressure. If I had to drop length and go with a 3" or 3.5", I'd carry HST +P or Ranger T +P. But, I carry a Commander 1911 daily and occasionally a 5" in a Milt Sparks VM II and both are far easier for me to carry than the M&P 45 or the HK 45. So, I don't see going to a shorter barrel 45 anytime soon.

Thanks for posting. Some here do appreciate the light and fast 45's.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Ditto. I'm a slow/heavy fan. I see the reports on the lighter CorBon stuff, and even after Jang posted a very informative explanation of the DPX, how it penetrate, why, etc., I still will not switch to a light-for-caliber load. Heck, in .45 I consider 200gr. light for caliber. I'm not switching to a 165gr. wicked-hot load in .45. If I wanted that, I'd have a .40 cal.

I'm not disputing the effectiveness of the DPX round. However, I'm still carrying standard pressure 230gr. Gold Dots.

Emrah

Links