Statistics

This is a discussion on Statistics within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello I was kinda hoping to get some accurate Statisics on two Cal's. The 10mm and the 45 Acp. What I have found thru my ...

Thread: Statistics

Statistics

hello
    I was kinda hoping to get some accurate Statisics on two Cal's.

The 10mm and the 45 Acp.
    What I have found thru my simple testing of course is that the majority of 45 acp JHP coming from a 1911 5" or my glock 21 fail to expand a lot.
    10MM on the other hand coming from a G20 has no problem with expansion.
    Now there is also a lot of talk about FMJ RN/JHP in 45 acp but if the expansion doesn't occur what difference does all that make? Other than spending a lot more for ammo.

I guess one thing I am trying to get info on is what if much difference is there in using 10mm or 45 acp for a carry SD rd?
    You know when at the range the 10mm is just simply Distructive with anything it hits.
    The 45 acp is one if not my Favorite RD however it is rather disappointing that the ammo designed the expand doesn't.

I myself shoot both as fast and accurate as the other and I do rotate the two cal's for carry.
    There is so much talk about the two cal's that I thought I could get some accurate info from some of you experts?

2. Remove Ads

Are you comparing apples to apples--that is, the same type of bullet from each caliber (ie, a Gold Dot to a Gold Dot, or are you comparing Remington JHP .45 to a Silvertip 10mm)?

Interested in hearing what ammo you're shooting out of the .45; most (premium) .45's I have and have informally tested out of my G21 have opened up just fine, even through clothing.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I have been shooting mostly DT and I have been getting alot from Georgia Arms.

Dt ammo:
    45ACP
    185 Nosler JHP
    230 JHP Bonded Defense
    Dt ammo
    10mm
    135gr JHP
    165gr JHP BJ
    180gr Nosler jhp
    230gr Egualizer

Georgia Arms
    45ACP
    185 gr JHP
    230 gr JHP
    185 Gr Speer Bonded unicore HP
    10mm
    155 gr speer bonded unicore hp
    180 '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '

As you can see not a big variety but simple like I said.

How ever I think it is all top quality ammo it sure is priced as such!

A lot of my testing was done with pork ribs and water bottles filled with a jellow substance.
    What I did is wrap the ribs to simulate clothing and then place that in front of the milk jugs. I stood at 7 and ten yards.

I hope this answered the questions you had like I said a rather simple bunch of testing . Fun as hell tho!!!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You shot up a bunch of perfectly good pork ribs? Are you nuts?

Lets look at it this way: Do the 10mms expand larger than the unexpanded .45s? If so, then I'd say the 10mm is definitely more potent. If not, the .45 simply makes a bigger hole, period.

In the real world, I don't think it makes much difference to the guy who gets hit by either. If you're accurate with both, use both.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Hm.

Well, all I can go with--and I want to stress I've no experience with either ammo company--is recommend you try some premium .45 HP's from a major manufacturer (Federal/Speer--HST or Gold Dot; Wincheser Ranger(T), Hornady TAP, Cor-Bon DPX...etc). I've heard mixed reviews about Doubletap in particular, but, again, I've never shot it, and to be honest, doubt if I would...

My next question would be, however--how was penetration? Some of those 10mm loads (DT is known for this) are overdriven for the bullet design and tend to open up too far, too fast, and have very shallow penetration...

Also--did the heavier 10mm loads open up, or was it just the light, warp-velocity bullets?

BTW--I have both .45's and 10mm's, so I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to push one caliber over the other...I'm not; I think that both are fine rounds for self defense...if you feel one is better for you, by all means, carry it with confidence.

I'm just curious as to the .45acp's failing for you when I have good experience with mine.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

The 10mm is certianly more powerful than the 45acp. Both are great carry rounds. Both have their ups and downs as a carry round. I have no plans to get into a gun fight, but if I found myself in a gunfight I would rather have my 10mm than my 45acp.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Links