Winchester 38 special +p+ ranger black talon ammunition

This is a discussion on Winchester 38 special +p+ ranger black talon ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i recently bought a 38 special revolver , a taurus ultralight 2 inch snubbie my first revolver and was just surfing the net and found ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 38 special +p+ ranger black talon ammunition

i recently bought a 38 special revolver , a taurus ultralight 2 inch snubbie my first revolver and was just surfing the net and found some of this ammunition on gunbroker, and was wanting to know if anybody out there had any experience with this round in a two inch revolver? how it expands? is this a good self defense round or not .if not can you experienced shooters give any advice. any answers would be appreciated!

i haven't tried that, but the speer 135 gr. gold dot is made just for snubbys.

I think i would avoid any +P+ ammo

why would you stay away from +p+ ammo because of the recoil?taurus website says that my revolver is rated for +p.any info would be greatly appreciated.

recoil is one reason. ability to control the gun/quick follow up shots are another.

i've tried .357's in my snubby, but do not like them. more recoil/muzzle blast make the gun hard to control and it beats my hand to death.

if a gun is difficult to shoot, most people will not practice with it, and that's bad in my book.

besides, why beat your gun and yourself to death for a minimal increase in power.

ymmv, but i'd rather be able to hit the target 2 or 3 times quickly with .38+p's than rely on hitting it once maybe with a .357.

The 110gr +p+ 38spl makes a lot of noise and produce a nice big fireball, especially when coming from a snubbie.
    I don't think you're gaining any performance advantage over other proven cartridges. Speer Gold dot 135gr +P short barrel ammo is what I carry in my snub. (will post chronograph data from upcoming range trip)

Of course, the old tried and true Remington or Federal 158gr Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollowpoint is always a good choice. That ammo is getting harder to find in my area at least.

Is it Black Talon or Ranger T? There's a BIG difference. There's no such thing as Ranger Black Talon.

Black Talon is an older generation hollowpoint and has been known to clog (as all older hollowpoints do) when hitting a clothed target.

Ranger T is the new stuff, the good stuff, the "Law Enforcement Ammunition" stuff, it's what I use as defense ammo in my 1911.

Also, staying away from +P+ has more to do than being rated for +P or recoil, +P+ has no limits, period. It could be loaded to ANY pressure. There's a reason no firearm is ever rated for +P+.

There's no such thing as Ranger Black Talon.
    Yes, there USED to be. The Ranger SXT line that came in 50 round boxes and used a black lubilox coated bullet in a brass case.
    It was eventually replaced by the T line which is a copper colored bullet in a nickel case.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs12.htm

Black Talon SXT: The original Black Talon handgun bullet. It was introduced in 1991. The cartridge consists of a black colored bullet seated in a nickel-plated case. The black paint-like coating on the bullet is a Winchester proprietary lubricant called Lubalox. The bullet has six serrations on the rim of the hollowpoint cavity (meplat), and six talons. The talons deploy when the bullet expands. They are described by Winchester as: "six uniform, radial jacket petals with perpendicular tips." Winchester voluntarily discontinued sales of Black Talon SXT to the general public in late 1993/early 1994 due to intense negative media and political pressure. Some political activists derisively referred to it as "Black Felon" ammo. Black Talon is packaged in boxes of 20 cartridges.

Ranger SXT: Ranger SXT is a less expensive version of the original Black Talon cartridge intended for the law enforcement market. It consists of a black Lubalox coated bullet seated in a brass case. The bullet has six serrations on its meplat, and six talons. Ranger SXT is packaged in boxes of 50 cartridges marked "Law Enforcement Ammunition."

Supreme SXT: Redesigned "civilian" version of the original Black Talon bullet. The cartridge consists of a copper-jacketed bullet seated in a nickel-plated case. The bullet has eight serrations on its meplat, and no talons. Supreme SXT is packaged in boxes of 20 cartridges.

i carry +p+ hydro-shock in my s & w model 60. this is what they issue to us for our backup guns. that is if you carry a wheel gun as as "bug".

Assistant Administrator
    I used to carry Corbon 110 +P 38 spl in my SP-101 - it is ''brisk'' , tho I do like to be traditional in truth and have a 158 grainer at my disposal!

Steve Camp extolls the 158 Rem SWC IIRC - slower but heavier and proven to be ''quite effective"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have shot .38 spl +P, and .357 mag out of my wifes Ruger SP101 2 1/4. Other than more noise from the .357 it was not all that bad.

Golden Saber +P is used for carry ammo.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Quote Originally Posted by HighVelocity
    Yes, there USED to be. The Ranger SXT line that came in 50 round boxes and used a black lubilox coated bullet in a brass case.
    It was eventually replaced by the T line which is a copper colored bullet in a nickel case.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs12.htm
    I didn't see Ranger Black Talon anywhere in there.

Quote Originally Posted by absit
    I didn't see Ranger Black Talon anywhere in there.
    That's because they called it SXT instead of Talon but it was the same black lubilox coated "black talon" bullet.

I understand it was the same bullet, hence SXT, but "Ranger Black Talon" sounds like something an auction holder or gunshow guru would use to sell a product that may be one or the other, and could confuse someone into buying an inferior product.

That's why I'm clarifying.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I don't know 'bout the rest of the ammo that was "taimed down" after the origional black bullet,nickle cased,in 20rd "Black" boxes, came out. But this is the ONLY real "Black Talon" ammo ever to be produced IMO.

Don't understand either why no mention of the most(IMO) important thing of all re. this (the origional) loading. The "Reverse Taper Jacket". To me that made the performance of the whole package very unique.

This is my daily CC load in my .45 ACP.

P.S. Have I ever performed any one shot stops,penetration,energy transfer,etc.,etc.,tests on live humans ............ NO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links