Reloading prices

Reloading prices

This is a discussion on Reloading prices within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How much cheaper is it to re-load 9mm ammo per round verses buying at 20 dollars for a hundred ?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading prices

Reloading prices

How much cheaper is it to re-load 9mm ammo per round verses buying at 20 dollars for a hundred ?

Depends on the cost of the consumables you buy.

If you also cast your own bullets you'll save alot.

Round up some powder, primer, bullet prices on the net and toss them in HERE
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

I just started reloading myself and wished I'd started long ago.

My LGS sells Federal .45 ACP for $24.97 for 50 rounds (.50 a round)

Using...

5.2gr of Hodgdon HP-38 Powder at $17.00 pound

Remington Large Pistol Primers 39.99 per 1000

Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets $120 per 1000

.17 a round

$8.63 per 50 Rounds

$172.61 per 1000 Rounds
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Thanks, i had heard that with 9mm being cheap that it was not worth it.....but....that was before Obama and the current prices. when i get on my computer i will do a cost benefit using that site.

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    i reload 9mm its about half what u would pay for factory rounds.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

VIP Member
    I wanna buy ammo where you buy ammo.

Twenty bucks for 100? Are they from a commercial reloader?
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Reloading is alot cheaper but you have to shoot enough to pay for your initial expenses. It was a pain in the rear for me to find all of my brass, which can be used numerous times, but is also the most expensive componet to buy, so I switched to revolvers for the majority of my shooting.

i reload 9mm and many other cals. i save big $$$$. shop around on the net to get what i need. primers @ $24.00 per 1k, 124 9mm cast lead @ $46.00 per 1k, powder @ $116.00 for 8 pounds. add shipping and/or hazmat fee, still a good deal. i use brass that i have had for years and still get range pickups. and reloading is "me time" down in the man cave.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Lots of ranges have once fired brass for reasonable. I have several 5 gallon pails full of the stuff, so I am not concerned about the brass. Casting bullets really lowers cost, start collecting wheel weights. Buying primers is a crap shoot right now, I have bought several primers over the last 3 years with everything from $25 to$30 per K. I agree with FrankMako, reloading is me time, down away from everything else, and it has become its own reward - though a bit addictive. I am not really sure that you save a lot reloading, I figure that it cost me about $.05 per round, but you get to do a lot more shooting. I am not sure that you can justify reloading on cost alone if you shoot less than 300 rounds per year, however knowing that you have a first rate bullet rates pretty high in my book. As an added aside, I find that I reload more than I shoot at times, just because it is so enjoyable and relaxing. Reloading 9mms can be a bit of a PITA at first, but I probably made it a lot harder than it really was.

Good info above. You will also find that you will save more buying in bulk. If you buy 100 primers, 100 bullets and 1# of powder, you may actually spend more than if you just bought the factory ammo. If you buy powder by the 4 or 8 pound jug, primers at least by the 1,000 and preferably by the 5K and bullets by the 1K or more, you'll see a significant savings. Depending on the powder, you may be able to get 1500 or more rounds out of a pound.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chitlin View Post
    Depending on the powder, you may be able to get 1500 or more rounds out of a pound.
    Mr Chitlin has several great points.I use a load of 3.6 grains of bullseye pushing a 125 grain LRN. that means that I get a theoretical 1944 bullets out of a lb. of powder. IE. 7000 grains in a pound. If you do decide to roll your own, it can be very rewarding, just not real sure about cost savings... I sure tend to shoot a lot more.

If you need brass Old Dominion Shooting range has 9mm brass fairly inexpensively... $40 per K....

brass

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have to agree that I have not seen 9mm for $20/100 in ... years. The best I have found commercial is closer to $30/100.

I reload 147gr 9mm FMJ with range brass for about $13/100. I have a much better margin on my .45ACP, which runs me about $16/100 with range brass.

You can do cheaper with lead bullets and much cheaper if you cast your own.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I run about $10 per 100 of 9mm but I don't pay for brass i just pick it up. Once i start shooting my own cast bullets that will cut my costs considerably

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    I wanna buy ammo where you buy ammo.

Twenty bucks for 100? Are they from a commercial reloader?
    golden bear 115gr is $89 for 500rds
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    How much cheaper is it to re-load 9mm ammo per round verses buying at 20 dollars for a hundred ?
    Reloading really dosn't save you any money. Reloading allows you to go to the range about 3 times more often and shoot about 3 times more. Yes cost per box of ammunition is less, but since I started reloading every time I go to the range which is more often now that I reload, I shoot about 300 rounds of ammunition unlike before I only shot about 100 rounds of ammunition for the same price when I was buying factory loads. I was only going to the range about once a week, now I'm going almost two sometimes four times a week.

Heres a better example if you spend $1000 on ammuntion a year from the factory, Your still going to spend $1000 on ammuntion a year when you reload, however, you will shoot a lot more.

I used to look at cost savings when it comes to reloading, now I just enjoy shooting that much more and shoot alot more, and actually I'm enjoying reloading now almost more then I do shooting not by much though!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links