.38 S&W with 200g bullets, penetration tests

This is a discussion on .38 S&W with 200g bullets, penetration tests within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And boy, would I love to get my hands on some original .38 Super Police to "launch" in my penetration tests! :-) Or even get ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .38 S&W with 200g bullets, penetration tests

And boy, would I love to get my hands on some original .38 Super Police to "launch" in my penetration tests! :-) Or even get a good photo of it, to compare to what we know of the .38SPL Super Police.

Does anybody have access to Textbook of Small Arms 1929, a British publication that evidently has good info about the original British Army .380/200g cartridge?

It was just recommended to me by Ian Skennerton, author of "The Book" on the .380 Enfield revolver.

2. Remove Ads

Well, that book is not our solution.
    See a quotation of the minimal info about the .380/200 contained in the Textbook of Small Arms, 1929, as provided to me by someone on another forum. Oh well, the search for info continues.
    .380/200 bullet - British Military Handguns - Old Guns - British Militaria Forums - Message Board Yuku

Hmmm...I have a friend in England who may know how to run down some .38/200 information. He was a handgun owner and shooter prior to their infamous 1997 gun ban. I used to shoot with him while over for visits. I'm still mad that they took up his handguns. He had a Colt New Service .455, a Webley Mark VI .455, a Smith & Wesson Model 586, and a Walther Model PP .22. He heard them clunk together when they were tossed into the bin after being checked off the list at the station house. May that never happen here.

England still has amazing numbers of handguns, though despite the ban.

Brian. great, I'll send you some sources from Skennerton's bibliography tomorrow. . .maybe that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Good stuff here! Attractive revolvers too!

I thought to post my results using 200 grain lead round nose bullets in the .38 S&W over a 3.1 grain charge of Unique but can't find where I recorded the data. Seems like the bullet was traveling about 675 fps from the 5-inch Webley Mark IV and 625 fps from the Colt Banker's Special.

I also obtained complete penetration of 6 one gallon milk jugs with the 200 grain lead round nose bullet over a maximum load of 2400 in the .38 Special. The same bullet and load tumbled to some extent when I used it on a whitetail deer and did not exit. It had a smear of expanded lead about the size of a dime off one side of it and still weighed over 190 grains. The deer took a few wobbly steps, quickly collapsed, and had expired before I could climb down from the tree.
    I applaud your research, but disagree with using .38 spcl. to hunt deer with. The chances of wounding are far too high to attempt it. If you dropped one as stated, quit while you're ahead. That animal deserves better..
    Last edited by boatail; April 17th, 2010 at 01:08 PM.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Boatail,
    Rest easy, bmcgilvray told this story in detail a while back. The deer was about 10 feet away, directly below his tree stand.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links