Fed. Premium low-recoil .40SW

This is a discussion on Fed. Premium low-recoil .40SW within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has any had any experience with this round? It's a 135 gr. semi-jacketed hollow point and am a little concerned with the low weight for ...

Thread: Fed. Premium low-recoil .40SW

Fed. Premium low-recoil .40SW

Has any had any experience with this round? It's a 135 gr. semi-jacketed hollow point and am a little concerned with the low weight for the .40. I'm also wondering where this might print out of a short barrel G27. Anybody know?
    I guess thats the price to pay for low recoil?? Is it worth the price..

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Low recoil ammo may not cycle your weapon! Yes, point of impact will be significantly different. How much, I cannot say, as I only briefly owned a G27, and only fired 165-grain ammo through it. My SIGs shoot 155-grain ammo notable lower than 165, and 165 notably lower than 180. It has been years since I tried any 135-grain .40, and all I can say is that it shoots to a notably lower POI than heavier stuff. This is all with standard-velocity ammo.

Thanks Rexter..I have to agree with the trends you mention, which don't seem to be logical, but there ya go. I have a Beretta96 in.40 and the lighter the bullet, the lower the impact. Maybe I'm clueless, but I would think it would be the opposite.
    BTW, why did you only briefly have the G27? hopefully not a problem with functioning?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I shoot 180gr./165gr. for my target practice... all my Home/Personal protection rounds are 165gr.... I find im very good with a 180gr. at the range.. I'm even better with a 165gr... and the 165 or 155 grain in .40cal is said to be an out-standing round for Personal Protection. I would look into some ballistic testing on the 135gr. before trusting my life with it.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I tend to agree Spec, I wanted the .40 for it's size, and to me that includes weight. I would like to use at least the 165gr.
    Note...I just bought this Glock and it IS small. I'm not bothered by recoil, but this person said to try the 135's , that I'd really like them.
    I bought one box to try it, ( I don't need much of an excuse to shoot something),but I didn't buy the pistol with reduced recoil in mind. I bought it with max impact in mind!
    I want to know what others here have tried, to cut out the crap, since ammo is like GOLD now. The above mentioned 135's came out to $1.00 apiece, which sucks!

Also, Rexter...Thats a great point about maybe not cycling the action. I should have thought of that myself and it could really be a problem.Thanks

VIP Member
    I would try those. I'm bothered by the recoil on my 40. A few years back our range had some 125 gr .40 made by CCI, I think. I loved shooting those. It was quite comfortable. Unfortunately I know that Blazer doesn't make them any longer. I sure would try the 135 gr low recoil Federal.

Didn't know there was such a thing until just now.

kpw
    I've shot a bunch of 135s from my .40 Glocks but it was full power CorBon. I have seen the low recoil Fed ammo choke in a few .40s. Keep a firm grip with it.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    Thanks Rexter..I have to agree with the trends you mention, which don't seem to be logical, but there ya go. I have a Beretta96 in.40 and the lighter the bullet, the lower the impact. Maybe I'm clueless, but I would think it would be the opposite.
    The lighter the bullet the higher the velocity, therefore the less dwell time spent in the barrel.
    The heavier the bullet the slower the velocity therefore more dwell time in the barrel allowing the gun to recoil more before the rounds leaves the barrel more hence a rise in the barrel causing the round to hit higher on the target, at short distances.

At long distances the opposite is true because a lower velocity allows the bullet to drop faster causing it to hit lower on the target

This may be useful?

Recoil Calculator
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Beans & Munch, Thanks! That makes more sense to me now about the lighter bullets printing lower, and Munch, I think I need some more info for that calculator, apparently it needs the gr. wgt. of the powder,which I don't have. The answer kept coming up NaN. Thanks for steering me to the sight, looks like some good stuff there

Hopyard, These are actually full jacket hollow point Hydra shocks. I checked federal's site and came up with a MV of 1200fps and 1116@25yd. Also shows energy of 432 @ the muzzle and 323 @ 25yd.

The 135gr Hydra Shoks are not anywherre near the 135gr Cor Bon / Double Tap / Triton in terms of velocity. The Federals are pretty mild. The 135gr full-power stuff is my load of choice in the .40. And actually in the 10mm

ETA, not all 165gr ammo is the same either. Check the specs for the Gold Saber 165gr for example, compared to the 165gr Hydra Shok, or HST or EFMJ, or Winchesters PDX1, or Speer's Gold Dot 165. Some are mild, some hot.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    boatail, my G27 worked fine. One of my G22s gave me some drama, until I replaced my magazine springs with heavier ones, as recommended my a local Glock armorer. A colleague wanted to buy a second G27, and I had found my G27 to be not really my cup of tea, so we reached a deal. Glocks just don't work optimally in my hands, and a grip reduction was not the indicated cure. I now carry SIG P229s for duty and concealed carry, but Glocks really are good pistols.
    Last edited by Rexster; February 19th, 2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: clarity

OK, thanks Rexter, glad to hear it was'nt the pistol.
    Suoerhouse, I'll give the Corbons a try. I know they'll cycle the action!
    You still a FF?

Links