BGs and thier ammo choice? - Page 2

BGs and thier ammo choice?

This is a discussion on BGs and thier ammo choice? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having taken many a gun off of "thugs" I see them loaded with what ever they can find. Usually a mixture of FMJ and HP....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BGs and thier ammo choice?

Having taken many a gun off of "thugs" I see them loaded with what ever they can find. Usually a mixture of FMJ and HP.

The last fatal shootings I worked were:
    .380 FMJ (head)
    .380 FMJ (head x 2)
    .380 FMJ (head)
    .223 JHP(center mass x 2)
    .45 FMJ (spine, less than 3" of penetration based on the xray)

Placement...

Not counting the contact range shotgun suicide kind of shootings. I did get to see a confiscated Davis .380 a few years ago during spring break activities in Daytona. The gun had a broken magazine with no floorplate, but a spring and follower. The BG had wrapped the grip with tape to hold the spring in and made it a top-loader. Had three rounds of FMJ in it. I also saw a stolen Colt Mustang full of Glaser. I imagine that was just as it was stolen from the owner.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Agree....probably any and everything they can get they will use.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    The last fatal shootings I worked were:
    .380 FMJ (head)
    .380 FMJ (head x 2)
    .380 FMJ (head)
    .223 JHP(center mass x 2)
    .45 FMJ (spine, less than 3" of penetration based on the xray)

Placement...

Not counting the contact range shotgun suicide kind of shootings. I did get to see a confiscated Davis .380 a few years ago during spring break activities in Daytona. The gun had a broken magazine with no floorplate, but a spring and follower. The BG had wrapped the grip with tape to hold the spring in and made it a top-loader. Had three rounds of FMJ in it. I also saw a stolen Colt Mustang full of Glaser. I imagine that was just as it was stolen from the owner.
    It seems 380 are effective and FMJ at that.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by kbox View Post
    Having taken many a gun off of "thugs" I see them loaded with what ever they can find. Usually a mixture of FMJ and HP.
    +1!

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I think it has more to do with shot placement than type of ammo...

Shot placement comes from training. Most of the thugs shooting at each other havenít trained too much, so their shot placement sucks. But sometimes they get lucky (or fire off enough rounds) and hit a critical area...
    From what I've seen, the current fashion for the BG's is to hold their guns sideways, over their head while shooting. Not real helpful for shot placement!

Regards,
    Jim

In regards to the BG's not using JHP defensive ammo like the rest of us: I read an article, I want to say by Mas Ayoob, about FMJ rounds being just as lethal as JHP's. It also stated that the JHP expansion just produced a better stopping effect and that it is the most responsible round for law abiding shooters because you risk less overpenetration and risk less innocent lives. Having said that, I would have to say that they use ammo of opportunity, as far as the POS mugger/thief/street dealer I would say that whomever sold him the gun supplied a mag/cylinder full of bullets too!

Cheers,
    Collin

I would say the primary cause of gang-bangers surviving multiple hits is not bad ammo or even necessarily shot placement.

Rather, it's due to the fact that the modern emergency medicine we taxpayers provide for them prevents these sorry no-'counts from dying due to loss of blood, shock, peritonitis, or organ failures like they did when their ilk got plugged in the "good ol' days."

I wonder if anybody has ever managed to quantify this impact on society? Because how many BGs stick with this way of life at least partly because they assume they'll survive a shooting in most cases? For that matter, what % of murderers & rapists have been shot before, yet still survive to prey on society? I'm pretty sure it's quite high! Like Fats Domino used to sing, "Ain't that a shame?"

I don't worry about the BG that has good gear and top notch bonded JHP's that is planning to rob my store? Why? Because if he is a smart guy that has planned out his crime, he will have cased my place and observed that we don't do hardly any cash business and there really isn't anything of value that is easy to fence.

I worry about the junkie that comes in with whatever he got his hands on and is unstable making him likely to panic and do unnecessary violence. One of the LEO's that regularly patrols my area says they've pulled a lot of stolen guns off BG's. He just doesn't see good stuff that legally belongs to them, which of course makes sense.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Quote Originally Posted by nochknstrps View Post
    So many of these BGs have been shot multiple times and lived to tell about it.
    I'd say that a lot of this also has to do with random fire as opposed to cautious aim. Having been present during drive bys (not participating, only in the wrong place at the right time) I can tell you there is not a whole lot of aiming going on.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    It seems 380 are effective and FMJ at that.
    FMJ are what I carry in the old Kel Tec.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaMan View Post
    Rather, it's due to the fact that the modern emergency medicine we taxpayers provide for them prevents these sorry no-'counts from dying due to loss of blood, shock, peritonitis, or organ failures like they did when their ilk got plugged in the "good ol' days."
    that and the fact that MOST people survive their wounds.
    handguns suk for stopping power and peeps dont want to believe that. they think the BG will drop like a stone after the first shot.

They use MNAS ammo...'mid-night ammo sales'...same place they get their auto parts...'mid-night auto parts'...it's a combo auto parts/ammo store.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Rap songs are always talking about hyrashocks
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    The ******** that tried to rob a family member of mines used range ammo.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links