BGs and thier ammo choice?

This is a discussion on BGs and thier ammo choice? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been watching shows like "gangland" on the History channel and I started thinking, what kind of ammo are bad guys killing each other with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BGs and thier ammo choice?

BGs and thier ammo choice?

I've been watching shows like "gangland" on the History channel and I started thinking, what kind of ammo are bad guys killing each other with or carrying. So many of these BGs have been shot multiple times and lived to tell about it. Most aren't well placed shots but geeze being shot 7 or 8 times in one sitting? Surely they weren't hit with defensive ammo like the HPs that most of us would carry.

Anyone know of studies done or autopsy reports done on gang related shooting or murders commited by BGs, dealing with the type of projectile used?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It is my understanding they use whatever is in the firearm when they stole it.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    All the research I've seen indicates that availability is the overriding choice for criminals when it comes to weapons and ammunition. Whatever they can get the easiest, quickest, cheapest, and with the least amount of hassle.

I can't remember what forum it was on, but an FFL relayed a story about how some gangbanger type came in looking for ammo for his AK. The clerk showed him several different kinds of ammo, but he said they were all too expensive.

So the clerk sold him some surplus Russian practice ammo with plastic bullets.

Couple days later, the cops show up to report that they'd had the weirdest drive-by shooting... somebody shot up a trailer home with an AK-47 loaded with... plastic bullets. Minor damage to the exterior of the trailer, and that was about it.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I would also say its availability and not preference.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    It is my understanding they use whatever is in the firearm when they stole it.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Whatever you leave on the seat of your car.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by nochknstrps View Post
    I've been watching shows like "gangland" on the History channel and I started thinking, what kind of ammo are bad guys killing each other with or carrying. So many of these BGs have been shot multiple times and lived to tell about it. Most aren't well placed shots but geeze being shot 7 or 8 times in one sitting? Surely they weren't hit with defensive ammo like the HPs that most of us would carry.

Anyone know of studies done or autopsy reports done on gang related shooting or murders commited by BGs, dealing with the type of projectile used?
    I think it has more to do with shot placement than type of ammo (plastic bullets excluded). 7 hits with HP’s in non-critical areas probably won’t kill someone anymore than the same hits with FMJ’s.
    The point – Shot placement is key. Don’t try to compensate for poor shot placement with a better bullet. Box of better bullets - $20. Better shot placement – lots of time and money (training).

Shot placement comes from training. Most of the thugs shooting at each other haven’t trained too much, so their shot placement sucks. But sometimes they get lucky (or fire off enough rounds) and hit a critical area.
    The preceding opinions are based on my opinion.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I thought BGs always used super armor penetrating ultra expanding cop killers?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

The Army psychiatrist who went on the shooting spree at Fort Hood used an FN 5.7 pistol.

See FN 5.7 and Ammo
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Probably use Wally World target ammo......
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Probably use Wally World target ammo......
    That would explain the shortage!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Plus the BG hit 7-8 time is all DRUGGED UP
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It doesn't matter. We all know that double-layer denim jaacket will stop any handgun bullet. Everyone says so!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I thought BGs always used super armor penetrating ultra expanding cop killers?
    With Teflon coating....You forgot the Teflon coating!!!
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

I don't think most BG's are smart enough to know the difference between FMJ's and +p+ JHP's, other than $ if they try to buy it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links