Close range 22LR??

This is a discussion on Close range 22LR?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man Steve, your wife is real gulible, no offense!! That's funny!! Ya, I figured shot shells out of the question, although that does remind me ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Close range 22LR??

Man Steve, your wife is real gulible, no offense!! That's funny!!

Ya, I figured shot shells out of the question, although that does remind me I have a box of those stashed in the safe for .45acp....hmmmm.

The 22 short sounds like a possibility. I have zero experience shooting them, only LR's. I was hoping to use the Walther P22 with laser for the perfect shot, but I do have a Ruger Single Six that is super accurate. The 10/22 was a thought, but my wife said that would remind her of Bill Murray in Caddy Shack! She said she couldn't promise to control laughter, so I could get a shot.

That subsonic CCI Quik Shok sounds sweet. I will be going to a gun show Saturday, so I now have a legitimate shopping list!!

I have a ton of intel in my coconut on larger caliber defense rounds, but I have little experience with the 22's or any other hunting round for that matter.Thanks a bunch guys!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

2. Remove Ads

One more vote for .22 Shorts, hollowpoints if you can get 'em. Deadly on small critters out to about 15 paces. Won't cycle a semi-auto action, but that's not real important.

BTW, even a well-placed head shot to a skunk with a Stinger HP won't keep it from letting go with a final blast... trust me on this!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    .22 short out of a rifle, or subsonic .22lr...not that I would have done this ever, but it's possible that I know someone who used a 10/22 loaded with subsonic and took out a couple of pests in his backyard, located in a large urban area not known for gunfire, and nobody ever noticed. Hypothetically, of course...

Aguila does make a .22LR round called the Colibri--it's a 20gr bullet over just a primer, no powder...for a point blank shot, it'd probably be OK, and out of a rifle, it's very, very quiet--quiet enought you can hear the "ping" of the firing pin, and the report is no louder than a pellet rifle. I've used them to shoot pigeons inside of buildings, and they work fine out to about 20-30 feet or so on them.
    Actually the aguila has propane inside over the primer. A chemist buddy told be this. (He and I use them for pests in our yards.
    Note: They work better in a rifle.

Another note: Years ago our 18#, 8 toed on all four, non-declawed, tomcat got sprayed. The vet suggested washing him in tomato juice. So, we got out the leather palm work gloves, safety glasses, rubber apron, etc. The only one who came thru without a scratch was the cat himself.

.22 Sub sonic,OR>>>> I know this might have been stupid but back when i lived in the edge of town i used to cut off a 40 grain high velocity off with wire snips to very lil of the lead protruded from the case and it is quiet and effective against possums. But then i got my first American bulldog and he killed 8 possums in one year. Back then i had alot of chickens free ranging and my yard was a possum magnet.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

The subsonic 22's won't cycle an autoloader but they are quiet and will penetrate about 2.5" in a phone book out of a 22 pistol
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

While we're sharing our "don't stories". I used to live in a residential neighborhood and shooting anything was out of the question so i tried to improvise.

So, DONT try to kill a possum with a 5 iron golf club your neighbor brings you. Its savage and brutal.

DONT try to stab one with a 10 foot piece of conduit. You cant pierce it.

I called animal control for the first two then they told me to quit calling and "kill it yourself, you don't need our help"

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

The Aguila ammunition doesn't have propane inside. The seal of the bullet would not contain it.

You can shoot .22 LR Shotshells out of a handgun or rifle without harming the rifling of the barrel. You will get a better result in a rifle, unless your up close with the handgun. I have shot snakes at my feet with shotshells, but a nagging rodent at 15yrds I would probably retire the sidearm and go for the longarm. A little D-CON bait traps cant hurt as long as kitty doesnt eat it.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

I cannot recommend that you tape a rockstar can or small plastic bottle over the end of your 22 barrel nice and snug or tell you that with subsonics it cycled a ruger 10/22 and still punched through a 1/2 inch fencepost because that would not be in support of the law.

(even if it's a one time thing that you simply use for a pest and have no malicious intent)
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by wllmandre View Post
    A little D-CON bait traps cant hurt as long as kitty doesnt eat it.
    Won't even think about taking that kind of chance.

I've heard of the soda bottle trick, but have been hesitant to try it.

I talked to my neighbor today over a couple of frosty adult beverages in his garage, and spoke to him of my problem. He had a couple of leftover rounds of some Remington CBee 22LR's. He said there real quiet, but it would not phase him if he heard the pop of a 22 late at night to begin with.

Between him and I we're prepped and ready for the zombies, so I didn't think it would be a big deal to him. It's the other neighbors I worry about.

We'll see!!

I have a friend that has a couple of suppressed 22 pistols,unless you shoot subsonic ammo you still get the crack of the bullet breaking the speed of sound,even with standard 22 ammo it is quieter than without.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You must paralyze a skunk when you shoot it.
    A 12ga. shotgun works best for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    ...I talked to my neighbor today over a couple of frosty adult beverages in his garage, and spoke to him of my problem. He had a couple of leftover rounds of some Remington CBee 22LR's. He said there real quiet, but it would not phase him if he heard the pop of a 22 late at night to begin with...
    We live in town (a very small town, but still in town, although we have woods in back of the backyard), and were having a problem with a possum harassing our pets, so I set out to dispatch him quietly. I tried .22 CB's in my Ruger Mk II. Figured that at very close range they would take him out with minimal noise. I was right about the noise - I don't think any of the neighbors noticed a thing. Problem was, I shot the possum three times in the head at nearly point-blank range (within 5' at most, and two of the shots were within a couple of feet), and he proceeded to hiss at me a lot, then climbed over my fence and left. I only had three of the CB's with me, as I figured that would be all I'd need.

I don't think he came back, so he probably died off in the woods somewhere, but I felt bad about not killing him cleanly. I won't try that again. The CB's would not cycle the action of the Mk II, but I fed them by hand OK.

I'm not sure how a .22 LR CB compares to a .22 short. I think the short is at least a little more powerful, but you definitely need something with a little more pizzazz than a CB.

Regards,
    Jim

Current crop of CCI CB caps (long) in a BL22 easily took out 2(two) 30lb Raccoons in my 30 x 40 shop. One shot each to lower forhead at approx. 20feet....Tail and/or rear leg maybe flipped for 20 or 30 seconds but lights were out for good.

Or so I heard....

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    We live in town (a very small town, but still in town, although we have woods in back of the backyard), and were having a problem with a possum harassing our pets, so I set out to dispatch him quietly. I tried .22 CB's in my Ruger Mk II. Figured that at very close range they would take him out with minimal noise. I was right about the noise - I don't think any of the neighbors noticed a thing. Problem was, I shot the possum three times in the head at nearly point-blank range (within 5' at most, and two of the shots were within a couple of feet), and he proceeded to hiss at me a lot, then climbed over my fence and left. I only had three of the CB's with me, as I figured that would be all I'd need.

I don't think he came back, so he probably died off in the woods somewhere, but I felt bad about not killing him cleanly. I won't try that again. The CB's would not cycle the action of the Mk II, but I fed them by hand OK.

I'm not sure how a .22 LR CB compares to a .22 short. I think the short is at least a little more powerful, but you definitely need something with a little more pizzazz than a CB.

Regards,
    Jim
    Funny you should mention that experience, Jim.

Earlier today I stopped in a Mom & Pop sporting goods store just to see what they had. I talked to the one clerk and informed him of my circumstances. He said they are indeed tough little buggers to put down cleanly. Said he used to trap and if he had a possum in the trap, it would take two or three, sometimes four 22LR rounds at point blank range in the skull, (basically standing over top of the animal), and still be hissing and carrying on.

Heart/vitals shot??

When I took that one out last week with the pellet gun, the last 2 of the 4 rounds were in his throat/neck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links