Close range 22LR??

This is a discussion on Close range 22LR?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having a bit of a varmit problem in my back yard at night. Tried doing the live trap thing and that worked great during the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Close range 22LR??

Close range 22LR??

Having a bit of a varmit problem in my back yard at night. Tried doing the live trap thing and that worked great during the day for the 3 ground hogs, but in the evening I am now having a possum and an occasional skunk.

I am afraid if I set the trap up at night,...it might not be the possum in there come morning. Know what I mean?

I not crazy about "popping" them, but I have a real sweet cat out back and they're messing with her. I took out one possum 2 nights ago with my trusty Ben Franklin pellet gun, but that took 3 shots to get the job done and I felt like a skunk afterwards!!

I'm somewhat out in the boonies and my neighbors and I all have about an acre lot, so I feel the 22LR might be a little scary in case of a ricochet. Is there a round for the 22LR that would still be a one shot and drop round for the critters at close range, but I don't have to worry so much about a ricochet??

Recommendations would be great for the 22, because the .410 would be just a bit too loud at 12am.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

2. Remove Ads

Shot Shells

I think you would be pretty safe with 22lr Shotshells provided you are using a revolver. Im not sure they would feed with a semi or not.

Ive got a heritage arms 22 revolver and I load it up with CCI #12 shotshells and thats my "rat gun" and I use it inside our barns. Might take more than one shot for big vermin like that though. It doesn't seem to be any louder than standard 22lr ammo and I don't think your going to have a ricochet problem with it. It seems to be designed more for rats and snakes but I think it would be more effective than a pellet gun.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

This sounds remarkably like the way I trapped raccoons and the occasional opossum in the corn crib of the family farm when I was a teenager.
    .22lr between the eyes, never once had a ricochet.
    Sorry but .22 shot shells will likely make the animal suffer more than the pellet gun.
    If it makes you feel better, use a .22 short HP round

Best way to rid your trap of an unwanted skunk, use a tarp, rug, blanket or whatever to conceal yourself while approaching the trap. Cover trap with said shield and dunk trap and skunk in a container full of water. Skunk drowns and does not spray. If you shoot them while in the trap they will release their spray. Best thing to remove the scent is dish washing liquid mixed with hydrogen peroxide.

.22 short out of a rifle, or subsonic .22lr...not that I would have done this ever, but it's possible that I know someone who used a 10/22 loaded with subsonic and took out a couple of pests in his backyard, located in a large urban area not known for gunfire, and nobody ever noticed. Hypothetically, of course...

Aguila does make a .22LR round called the Colibri--it's a 20gr bullet over just a primer, no powder...for a point blank shot, it'd probably be OK, and out of a rifle, it's very, very quiet--quiet enought you can hear the "ping" of the firing pin, and the report is no louder than a pellet rifle. I've used them to shoot pigeons inside of buildings, and they work fine out to about 20-30 feet or so on them.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Administrator
    I disagree with 22LR shot-shells as a way to humanely dispatch anything other than a wasp.
    They are incredibly anemic, have absolutely no useful penetration, and you are only going to create a wounded, tortured, suffering and eventually sick rabid animal.

Maybe something like this. Designed to fragment into 3 pieces on impact.

Forget about 22 shotshells. They are marginal on rats and snakes beyond 15 feet. On a opossum or a skunk, I wouldn't want to get close enough to actually do damage.

Forget about the Colibri ammo. You'll get much better performance from your pellet rifle. The Colibri only makes 375 fps with 6 ft.lbs. of energy. A .177 pellet at 1000 fps makes 16 ft.lbs. of energy.

If your ground is as soft right now as most of the country, chances of a ricochet are minimal. Even on hard ground, if fired at a downward angle, most any good 22 HP will fragment on impact or just bury itself in the ground. If you have a bunch of rocks in your yard, different story.

For those that haven't dealt with them, opossums and skunks can be tough animals. They aren't pigeons or rats. I have brought down opossums with a 1100 fps pellet rifle before but never with just one shot. Never been brave enough to try it on a skunk. For them, its strictly rifle or shotgun. Know anyone with a crossbow you could borrow?

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Is a suppressor out of the question? You can pick up one for about 2-300 dollars plus $200 tax stamp. However, any future problems with critters will be easily taken care of.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

did the deed

had bunnies munching my veggies. had an old winchester 69a. used 22 c/b caps in a stealth operation-cracked open my cellar hatchway saw said bunny took aim, made a squeek sound. said bunny sat up on hind legs and phtttttt--all over. range about 40ft--head shot and neighbors non the wiser.

upgraded to an awc amphibian (suppressed ruger). also put chicken wire fence around the garden and haven't had to deal with any problems since then.

I have dispatched many an armadillo in my suburban setting without any neighborhood concern using a .22 short from a revolver

I am not qualified to answer this question. I have trapped and shot many skunks. All with bad results.
    But I have become pretty good at skunk oder removal. Mixture of dish soap, peroxide and vinagar.
    P.S. Talking your wife into putting on a rain suit to move live trap with skunk in it to a location where you can safely shoot it can cause marriage problems.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    ...........P.S. Talking your wife into putting on a rain suit to move live trap with skunk in it to a location where you can safely shoot it can cause marriage problems.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Don't waste your time or money with .22 shotshells. They won't hardly kill a snake more than 10 feet away. They might be effective if you shove the barrel down the critter's throat , then shoot.

I've taken out many a varmit with .22 Shorts. Used to regularly drop ground squirrels at 60-70 yards with then. A head shot on a possum will certainly do the job. That little bullet will bounce all around the inside of its skull.

If you want to use the LRs (or shorts), You can cover the end of your rifle with rags to muffle the sound. It makes a fairly effective silencer. Won't affect close shots accuracy wise.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

22 shorts; out of a rifle of any length sounds like a pellet gun. Ricochets are not much of a problem unless you hit on rocks.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    another vote for .22 shorts...but your auto might not cycle with them...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links