.38 Shotshell in first 2 chambers?

This is a discussion on .38 Shotshell in first 2 chambers? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If the BG is worth shooting with birdshot, then he's worth shooting with +P....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: .38 Shotshell in first 2 chambers?

If the BG is worth shooting with birdshot, then he's worth shooting with +P.

2. Remove Ads

Your first two shots are usually what wins or loses a gunfight.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Birdshot is a bad idea. It might get you killed.

Regards,
    Jerry

shotshell 38

In Florida, there was a case a while back where the jury almost convicted a CC of wrongdoing, because he shot to wound, not kill.
    The jury went by a defense attorney's disertation where if someone takes the time to wound, he is not in fear for his life.
    Keep the shotshells on a speedloader for reptile snakes, and the hydrashoks ( or whatever SD load you want) for the human snakes.
    The idea is: (simply) Whatever the BG is doing puts you in fear for your life. You want to stop that right now. Shoot to kill.
    The shotshell will get him P.O.ed

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Just wondering...I've been carrying shot shell in the first 2 chambers of my Det Special...the other 4 are loaded with 158g Nyclad HP...and I got 6 more in a speed loader....Am I thinking wrong about the shot shell? God forbid I have to use the firearm...2 shot go off quick in case I need the third...shot close up takes care of many critters, both 4 and 2 legged....thoughts?
    Tiny shot is sure going to make the BG mad and the second round may make him want to cause you to eat the gun.

I would save the shot shell for small game or veriium around yur home that need your attention.

JMHO If you are not willing to shoot to stop the threat permanent I would not carry at all or get some OC spray.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I've carried shotshell for snakes, but when I do I've also carried a second firearm with JHP's for the big dangers out there.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Not to pile on in a mean way. . .but I do need to pile on. :-) What is your reaction when stung? When you stub your toe? Or hammer your finger?

Kids tend to cry. Men often curse ferociously & kick the crap out of some helpless inaminate object nearby, with blood in their eye and the desire to kill something in return for that pain.

What does the BG do when you blast him in the face with a stinging load from a shotshell, assuming you hit him. . .in the face. . .and he's sentient & realizes you've inflicted pain on him. Certainly he may run away, believing he's been shot & is about to die. It's also highly possible that your shot will trigger a fight reaction from the BG, rather than flight.

Heck, if he's close enough to hit with a shotshell from a snubbie, and threatening enough to warrant deadly force, are you likely to have time for shots 3-6 to happen & take effect? Although many "stops" are indeed psychological, because pistol fire is hard-pressed to stop anybody otherwise unless it achieves a CNS hit, you're betting everything that your birdshot has the desired psychological effect. Personally, I figure if you have time to waste two shots, you have time to get away or certainly have no reasonable fear of imminent & otherwise unavoidable death or grievous bodily harm.

I certainly respect your right to choose, but I recommend you either load real defense ammo or stick to non-lethal sprays.

If you feel a need for critter control, carry those shells in your pocket...you'll have time to load them.
    Otherwise, only use good 'ole' shoot 'em and make big holes shells...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I shudder to think that I'd have to face an assailant in any self-defense situation with a .38 revolver loaded with some sort of shot loads.

Sounds like a bad dream.

IMO................total waste of time and you could be endangering yourself or others. Get some real ammo.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    A couple things.

First, if you ever told the police following a shooting that your intent was to blind the assailant, you'd probably be talking yourself into a prison cell.
    Never said that was my 'intent'...just thinking out loud...that's what we're all doing if you think about it...

Second, let's assume for a moment you're at spitting distance from an armed assailant (which you'd have to be for the shot to do much of anything). Can he stab you while he can't see? Grab you with one hand, stick his gun against your body with the other and shoot you to death?
    I'm only two pulls of the trigger away from a real bullet....

Points well taken...all 6 are now Nyclad HP's......

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    IMO................total waste of time and you could be endangering yourself or others. Get some real ammo.
    I repeat....Points well taken...all 6 are now Nyclad HP's......
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    Never said that was my 'intent'...just thinking out loud...that's what we're all doing if you think about it...
    My comment sounded a lot harsher that I intended. I was referring to this:

My thinking on the 2 legged animal was....was really that I'd blind them...maybe a sad thing to think about but, I thought a shot anywhere near the face or head would definitely make BG think about where he went wrong in life...maybe a hug from mom that he never got?
    Personally, I understand what you are saying - that the shotshell might blind the assailant, not that it is what you want to happen. But what could an anti-gun prosecutor (or the BG's lawyer) make out of that after taking it around the block a few times?

I'm glad you've gotten the shotshells out and loaded a solid JHP load in all chambers. I hope that neither of us ever has to fire a shot in anger, so hopefully this whole thing will be moot.

Cheers.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Bird shot is for birds....

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    My comment sounded a lot harsher that I intended. I was referring to this:

Personally, I understand what you are saying - that the shotshell might blind the assailant, not that it is what you want to happen. But what could an anti-gun prosecutor (or the BG's lawyer) make out of that after taking it around the block a few times?

I'm glad you've gotten the shotshells out and loaded a solid JHP load in all chambers. I hope that neither of us ever has to fire a shot in anger, so hopefully this whole thing will be moot.

Cheers.

Matt
    And I sincerely thank you for your comments...It seems that at times I am surrounded by so many people that are anti-self defense....I appreciate this forum and all the questions and answers....thanks Matt
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Who said that the capsules had to have BIRD shot in them? My guess is that 2 or 3 O Buck shot in a warm loaded .38 capsule just might be pretty effective up close and personal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links