.38 Shotshell in first 2 chambers?

This is a discussion on .38 Shotshell in first 2 chambers? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hudsonvalley, You certainly live in a beautiful part of the country--I was stationed at West Point for six years and really learned to appreciate it. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: .38 Shotshell in first 2 chambers?

Hudsonvalley,

You certainly live in a beautiful part of the country--I was stationed at West Point for six years and really learned to appreciate it. Since I mostly lived & worked in an isolated "miltary monastery" while there, I was not totally immersed in the local culture. But as a Southerner who tended to think of New York as New York City, I was pleased and encouraged to encounter large numbers of locals who generally shared the values I was & am used to. In other words, NYC is a different universe, but it tends to get all the press.

So, I'm just wondering if you're in NYC or a bedroom community for it, and would enjoy getting out to places like Goshen, New Windsor, Monroe, etc., where more traditional values--to include the right to protect yourself, other innocents, and your home--are still respected. If that doesn't work, come on down South or out West and enjoy people who view NYC as the exception, not the norm.

Just a thought. Take care!

2. Remove Ads

I used to load my own 38 sp. shotshells using the Speer shot capsule and #6 shot. Worked real well on cottonmouths. Shot a rat at about 10' with one. The rat ran away.

sgb

Now through the birdshot away and shoot that other crap at the range. The only carry load worth having in a 2" .38 is the Speer 135gr +P Gold Dot.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by mauser1959 View Post
    Shot shells out of a Detective Special do not do much good on snakes either, I used to carry one when logging in a national forest... had to shoot several copperheads multiple times to get them dead... Stick to HPs. The shotshell rounds are over priced and might as well be classed as not effective.
    Not to divert the thread or anything, but while clearing an overgrown lot a couple of years ago, I killed over forty copperheads with .38 shotshells out of a Charter Arms snubbie. Never had to shoot one twice. 100% effective. Several of them had almost nothing left of their heads.

A two-legged snake is a whole 'nother story!

Regards,
    Jim

I would not used a .38 shot shell, unless being attacked by mice. For 2 legged predators, I would use a good modern defense load with a good bullet designed to penetrate and mushroom at the velocity your gun will produce. Anything less and you are gambling with your life, should you need your gun to defend it.

VIP Member
    Good load for snake country

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Just wondering...I've been carrying shot shell in the first 2 chambers of my Det Special...the other 4 are loaded with 158g Nyclad HP...and I got 6 more in a speed loader....Am I thinking wrong about the shot shell? God forbid I have to use the firearm...2 shot go off quick in case I need the third...shot close up takes care of many critters, both 4 and 2 legged....thoughts?
    If your main threat is the little 4 legged critters, or maybe snakes at very short range, then you're right on with the shot. However, if you're talking 2 legged critters here, you need to be able to stop the threat. Whenever you need to pull the trigger, just about any state (if not all of them) are going to consider it lethal force anyway. The question is, do you just want to piss them off, or do you actually want to stop them? You're right on being armed, and at least you have the 3rd shot and on being a good defensive load, but if you think the biggest threat is human targets then I say just keep it loaded with the hollow points only. As you have it now though, your defense against snakes and small critters is very good though.

Has anyone replying ever been shot

I am amazed that everyone describes attackers as these crazy animals that can only be put down with a 357 magnum or above. Unfortunately, I have been shot. With a 22lr. It hurt like hell and I thought I was going to die. I was not attacking someone, but the first thing that enters your mind when you have been hit is survival. Get away for the firearm and get medical help. I read all these people throw off on 22lr or 22 WMR or shotshells like they will do nothing put piss off the attacker. I got an idea. Let me shoot you with a 38 shotshell and see what goes through your mind. A lady in Macon, GA shot a intruder with a shotshell in the neck and face. The paper said he went into the fetal position in the corner of the room and beg the person to get help. Any gun make a loud bang and scare most individuals. And yes, there probable are the 1 in a million person that is drugged up and intent on nothing but killing you. Most likely you will never see the bullet coming and will be dead before you ever think of shooting back. I applaud someone for thinking of a less than lethal alternative as the first shot. I would bet my life that it would stop the person in their tracks before coming forward. That give the defendant time to run or fire off another round. In my line of work, I have been robbed, shot, and threaten several times. Just the presentation of a firearm is usually all it takes. But I know, the majority of people who have never been shot or shot anyone will still talk of the crazed unstoppable attacker. When you meet him, I hope you have your 460 ready. My best friend carries a NAA 22 magnum Black widow in his pocket all the times because it is light and easily concealible. He never leaves home without it. To date, he has presented it twice and the persons ran. So, let go of the fear of the crazed attacker and think more humanely like the original poster.

I'll think more humanely of assailants the day assailants think more humanely about me.

Things have deteriorated to a dreadful state if I'm required to shoot someone. I'll "think humanely" about them until they press on with an attack on me or someone else I need to protect. If they cross the line on becoming an assailant then they aren't picking daisies to thread in my hair.

There will never be anything less than lethal ammunition loaded in my firearms chosen for self-defense.

I don't even bother with "snake-shot" for poisonous snakes. If I can't hit 'em with a stick, shovel, or rock I'll just shoot a bullet in 'em. I'm not afraid of snakes but do eliminate the poisonous ones found on our place.

Welcome to the Forum anyway. We're glad you're here with your opinion detailed posts.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by StevieDevie View Post
    I am amazed that everyone describes attackers as these crazy animals that can only be put down with a 357 magnum or above. Unfortunately, I have been shot. With a 22lr. It hurt like hell and I thought I was going to die. I was not attacking someone, but the first thing that enters your mind when you have been hit is survival. Get away for the firearm and get medical help. I read all these people throw off on 22lr or 22 WMR or shotshells like they will do nothing put piss off the attacker. I got an idea. Let me shoot you with a 38 shotshell and see what goes through your mind. A lady in Macon, GA shot a intruder with a shotshell in the neck and face. The paper said he went into the fetal position in the corner of the room and beg the person to get help. Any gun make a loud bang and scare most individuals. And yes, there probable are the 1 in a million person that is drugged up and intent on nothing but killing you. Most likely you will never see the bullet coming and will be dead before you ever think of shooting back. I applaud someone for thinking of a less than lethal alternative as the first shot. I would bet my life that it would stop the person in their tracks before coming forward. That give the defendant time to run or fire off another round. In my line of work, I have been robbed, shot, and threaten several times. Just the presentation of a firearm is usually all it takes. But I know, the majority of people who have never been shot or shot anyone will still talk of the crazed unstoppable attacker. When you meet him, I hope you have your 460 ready. My best friend carries a NAA 22 magnum Black widow in his pocket all the times because it is light and easily concealible. He never leaves home without it. To date, he has presented it twice and the persons ran. So, let go of the fear of the crazed attacker and think more humanely like the original poster.

Very interesting point of view. Welcome to the forum

I know a Department of Corrections Assistant Warden that once took a escaped convict into custody by putting his hand behind his back and saying "don't make me shoot you." while he was unarmed.

With a little searching you will find many times that bad guys were stopped by seeing the gun. Many times there were "one shot stops" with .22s. Of course you will also find many that have taken repeated shots prior to stopping the fight. Some times even from long guns. Considering that I don't know how my attacker will respond, I think it's best for me to prepare for one that will take more than a .22 mag but that's just me. Feel free to carry anything you wish.

Granted I have never been shot but I have transported a few shooting victims to the hospital. More than a few of them were still combative after being shot.

I have also had the opportunity to spend some time with a few thousand criminals as a C.O.

As far as the bird shot goes, I would not want to have the first 1/3 of my self defense weapon limited with bird shot.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Shotshells are very good when they're large buckshot coming out of a real shotgun shell; but birdshot coming out of a pistol round is only good for expensive small-area sandblasting of loose paint.
    QKShooter likes this.

Administrator
    Bird shot is for birds when it exits a shotgun. Bird shot is not even for birds when it exits a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Bird shot is for birds....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Points well taken...all 6 are now Nyclad HP's......

I repeat....Points well taken...all 6 are now Nyclad HP's......
    Glad to read that.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Snakes . . . I don't get it. You folks realize that the max range of a snake strike is 2-3 feet, don't you? Your initial leap of faith, accompanied by that girlie scream, will bring you down out of that range. Oh, you didn't see it? Then it would probably have bitten you already.

If you feel you just gotta kill it--and live with the rats, etc. instead--use a shovel. No one ever had to expalin a "man with a shovel" call.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I have to admit i have a similar loadout in my Mossberg. 2 rounds of 000 Buck followed by 6 Brenneke "Rotweillers".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links